7.1 Audio Bugged with 7.0 Update

★★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number RX 5700 XT
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? I_DELTA_I
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Are you using any software with an overlay? Yes
If yes, can you list them here? Radeon
If you disable this software, does that have any effect? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Olympus
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. In-Game
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? All
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) Today, after season 7 update
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Deep sound, echoing sound
What should be happening instead? Typical sound
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Unable Surround Sound 7.1

Since the update went live today, I have had a sound problem that relates to the new sound fix that was mentioned in the patch notes. I have tried everything, switching headphones, turning enabling and disabling sound options, reinstalling thew game, fixing it in the game Origin menu, installing it on Steam.

Then I found out that your new "footsteps" patch has been amplified or rather the echoing of the surrounding areas, think it has to do something with the world audio. Then I turned of 7.1 audio, and everything sounded flat, regular as before. I have been playing on 7.1 audio for almost half-a-year now and this has never occurred since the 7.0 update.

If you could look into the reletion between what was done and the 7.1, that would be grand. For the time being I'll be playing in Stereo Audio.

Thank you 

Message 1 of 60 (9,077 Views)

Re: 7.1 Audio Bugged with 7.0 Update

★ Apprentice
@I_NewTwo_I I think im having the exact same issue. The sound of everything surrounding me sounds like its just in my head, it doesnt come from any specific direction, and that isnt just for footsteps, but everything (that doesnt come from me I. E. my character speaking, shooting).
I tried everything from updating Origin version rather than playing Steam version, restarting PC. Changing many of the settings in Razer Synapse (Kraken tournament edition), all together reinstalling Razer Synapse.
The only way how i managed to have the surround audio work is if i launched the game in Stereo (through setting my speakers as the output when turning on the game, and switching back to headset when the game is launched). That way the game in the audio settings shows Stereo rather than 7.1 surround.
But that still doesnt help me as then the audio itself gets messed up.
This right now is Unplayable
Message 2 of 60 (9,040 Views)

★★★ Novice
@greenscorpeon3 I cant describe It better than that !!! Having the same problem its unplayable.
Using sony platinum 7.1 headset
Used to hear better than any of my friends but now when enemy walks infront of me i can her that even above ans behind me and gun shots sounds like warzone but worse
Message 3 of 60 (9,016 Views)

★★ Novice

I guess 7.1 is broken for all of us at the moment. A quick fix for this is to set your game to use only stereo and not 7.1. 

You can do this by adding command +miles_channels 2

This is how you add the command:

Origin > My game library > right click on Apex > Game options > command line options > add +miles_channels 2

You need to restart the game afterwards. In audio you should now see stereo and sound should be working fine.

Message 4 of 60 (8,991 Views)

★ Novice

could you make this guide for steam?

Message 5 of 60 (8,884 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Same problem here: from the new update, season 7, the 7.1 audio doesn't work anymore.

The only way to make the game playable is to set the game in stereo mode.

Acting in the config file, located in C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\Respawn\Apex\local\settings.cfg

(Open this file in notepad)

changing the line that says "sound_num_speakers" 

as following:

7.1 is value "8"

Stereo is value "2"

seems not work on windows 10, only respawn knows why. (but i set it correcly anyway)

Works properly instead, this way: go to

Origin > My game library > right click on Apex > Game options > command line options > add +miles_channels 2

this command set properly the number of speakers, 8 for 7.1, and 2 for stereo.

Remember to turn off the virtual sorround (spatial sound) from the windows setting, in your windows speaker audio properties.

i used to hear better than anyone, with my real 7.1 asus rog strix headset and audio was one of the most perfect things in apex legends.

Now is ruined, i really hope respawn will fix this.

Message 6 of 60 (8,785 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@neptunn123 There are the exactly same procedure if you use steam, right click on the game in your library, and search how to add a command at game launch
Message 7 of 60 (8,752 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Same issue here, with spatial 7.1, they always break the game with each update. 

Message 8 of 60 (8,715 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I have a Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless with DTS surround sound simulation. Normally I can hear sound really well on Apex in fact in previous seasons Apex had the best sound of any game for my headset with exception of the games that offer the binaural sound option such as Battlefield 5 and a few others. But beyond those Apex was the second best for my headset. Could hear exactly where footsteps and gun shot sounds are coming from.

In season 7 I am having a vast array of sound issues, I have sound cutting off when near waterfall near the turbine. I can't hear footsteps even if enemy is right on me (and this isn't just me, I have friends with stereo headsets without surround sound and they have the same issue!) gunshot sound can go wonky like the Volt can suddenly sound like a hemlock! All sorts of sound issues.

Hopefully they for now revert back to the old sound as it worked extremely well and I don't understand why they changed it. The new sound is broken beyond measure and the very thing it was supposed to improve it broke completely. Half the time I never hear enemy footsteps anymore even if they are right behind me!

Message 9 of 60 (8,677 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Van47 I have the same headset the game is outright unplayable. I can't tell where what is. Zero response from EA or Respawn
Message 10 of 60 (8,639 Views)