no xbox controller on EA???

by bozno

Original Post

no xbox controller on EA???

★★ Novice

Product: EA Desktop
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post)
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Other (Please Describe)
Please describe xbox controller
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) all the time
Summarize your bug xbox series X controller only works as generic
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? play any game on EA desktop with an xbox controller
What happens when the bug occurs? it doent work
What do you expect to see? it to work

I have an Xbox series X controller connected to my PC, it works with every other game on every other store (that has controller compatibility) including standalone games. It is picked up as an xbox controller the button maps show as A,B,X,Y, i can use the triggers fine etc... basically i have full functionality.

Then comes EA desktop (why am i not surprised it only happens with EA?).... It doesn't matter what game i play through EA Desktop. The controller either doesn't work at all or will only work as a "generic" controller. and show as button 1,2,3 etc... and also wont allow me to use the triggers.

Prime example is burnout paradise (does it with other games too). If i go in to the controller options it will show that its detected an xbox controller but pressing buttons on the controller at the menu or in the game does absolutely NOTHING. the only way i can get it to work at all is by Mapping the buttons manually then a generic controller will show in the options but when i press to use say button A for accelerate, it will put it as button 1. I cant use the triggers for anything if i pull them nothing happens and it wont assign it to a function.

Why is it that every other game can use it as an xbox controller with full functions, but anything on EA desktop can not? Please tell me there is a fix for this or that i am at least not alone?

Message 1 of 9 (4,700 Views)

Re: no xbox controller on EA???

★★ Novice

literally no one?

Message 2 of 9 (4,609 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@bozno which game do you have problem with? I have same controller and test it.
Message 3 of 9 (4,572 Views)

★★ Novice
@ustunab as my post says i have it with every game on EA desktop that is able to use a controller. i have not yet found a game on there that gives me full XBOX functionality, battlefield, burnout paradise, need for speed etc...

my controller works fine with every other game i have on epic store, xbox gamepass, steam, gog and standalone games.
Message 4 of 9 (4,563 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Im having the same problem trying to play Mass Effect. Xbox controller doesn't work and there are no settings inside the game nor in EA settings to configure a controller. Isnt that wonderful.....

Message 5 of 9 (4,464 Views)

★ Novice

I've had this issue with EA games even in Origin, it's just not something they are interested in spending time to fix, and it seems that the new app has even killed some PS controller use. 

Way to be on top of it EA. 

Message 6 of 9 (4,319 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@boznoI think im having the same issue. Playing games that I launch through EA app with series x controller, button mapping is all out of whack and cannot be remapped. I've read there is a fix where you can manually add the game to Steam and launch game in steam big picture mode, do some controller settings mumbo jumbo and also terminate all origins tasks in windows to make it work. There are a couple of instructional videos out there for it.
However I cant even do that workaround because Im playing EA games through gamepass ultimate, which requires me to install and play EA games through their buggy failure beta app, not origins. I cant run battlefield 2042 through steam because it forces the EA launcher to open the game even if i add it to steam. I also cant get any EA Play games through origin because I only have access to them via gamepass ultimate. Ive only been pc gaming foor a week and already hate EA with a passion for lack of ability to develop playable games and unwillingness to resolve the bigger issues with their software first

Message 7 of 9 (4,179 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Go into steam settings > Controller Click on general controller settings and select xbox config support and xbox extended feature support. Reset your PC when prompted. Load steam and connect your xbox wireless controller. Launch EA Pass and select the game you want to play. Make sure you don't launch it from xbox game pass but EA Pass itself. Go into the in-game settings and switch form keyboard to controller.

Should work.

Message 8 of 9 (3,494 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Had an issue where the xbox wireless controller would connect and work through bluetooth but steam was not recognizing it. "No device detected" or something phrased like that. The device worked with xbox game pass games ran through the app so it was working but steam would not recognize it. Tried everything under the sun to get it to work using every method proposed by every website/youtube video.

The fix was to go into steam big picture mode > controllers settings > and at the bottom of the page a button called "unhide devices". You need to spam this button like it owes you money. Take all your frustration out on it that has built up over the hours you've spent on this issue. It will just "all of a sudden work". I don't know why but it does.

Message 9 of 9 (3,457 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help