Re: incredibly slow download speeds

by Rzthm

Original Post

Community Manager

Have you tried the troubleshooting in this thread @Zuccador.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 91 of 159 (3,064 Views)

Community Manager

Not sure what you're trying to say @inoperable by taking my screenshot and just resharing it. 

Darko

Darko.png
Message 92 of 159 (3,063 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

trying to update fifa 23 and im stuck on 0.00 bytes per second, its only this game that is this slow. Yes I tried the cache things and my internet/network is not the problen

Message 93 of 159 (3,014 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same issue as of 2/10/23 and it just gets worse. I actually just went back to the old origin and the download speeds went back to normal. Just don't use this trash app it's a waste of time.

Message 94 of 159 (2,913 Views)

Re: Slow download speeds on EA Desktop

★★★ Newbie

This is a issue for everyone. EA says that its backround activity, but in reality they have a * optimized app, that has a 90% bottleneck on wifi. I am downloading something right now, EA app is sucking up 100mbs of wifi, while only downloading at 10mbs. If they let me download on steam, I would be downloading 10x faster.

Message 95 of 159 (4,181 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey everyone,

Won't comment on the software quality, but from what I can gather unlike Steam/Battle.net/Epic, EA Desktop (and Origin for that matter) doesn't store any of the downloaded files in RAM or other memory area to do the unzipping & writing on your installation disk in a parallel manner. It therefore writes data in blocks (which you can actually see from the "Performance" tab of your Task Monitor, the Disk Activity and Network graphs are complementary) to your installation disk, unzip them in a temporary folder, and then applies the update or installs the game.

We can assume (or hope ?) that this kind of software behaviour will be patched/improved over the life of the EA Desktop app.

This will happen whether or not your installation disk is an eNVM SSD (M.2 PCIe in my case), a SATA SSD or a HDD.

This is what I was able to gather from my own experience for my specific setup & location (5Gbits/s, around 300 to 600MBytes/s optic fiber in France) which might differ from yours, but if my answer actually brought some kind of info that's been helpful, glad I could help !

Message 96 of 159 (4,068 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@HardcoreFinesse wrote:
  1. Open powershell as administrator

2. enter this command -> netsh interface tcp show global

3. For me, "recieve window auto-tuning level" was set to disabled

4. to enable it, enter this command -> netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

5. enter the command in step 2 to verify it worked.

Your solution works, and thanks for it!

No need to disable any background programs or any anti-virus software.

Message 97 of 159 (2,734 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

didn't work thanks

Message 98 of 159 (4,051 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

lol great! I didn't love origin but now I can't use it anymore and ea App gives me approx 10x the download times compared to even origin. At least Apex can also be played via steam - fun fact, the full installation of the game on steam takes less time than updating it via ea app

Message 99 of 159 (4,021 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I’m currently downloading a game (to EA app NOT Origin) at a speed of 70-72kb. I’ve seen so many people who have reported the same download speeds. If it were a connectivity issue, it doesn’t make sense that so many different people in different places with different internet connections and plans are ALL reporting this same thing.

I’ve been downloading ONE ☝️ game for the past TWO days and nights. This is after spending two days troubleshooting the app to make it run. I lowered my firewall, other security and all permissions.

I’m only at 30% and this isn’t even including all the packs. I’m still here only because I have invested thousands of hours in this one version of the game, (+ a lot more on other versions). . If I were a new player, I wouldn’t be. I’d quit. I thought Origin was bad... smh.  

It’s gut wrenching, knowing how much I have lost, already - ALL of my saves. All mods and cc. I’ve seen this is typical for way too many people.

I am open to suggestions.Thanks in advance. 

Message 100 of 159 (2,679 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help