Uninstalling BF2042 Deleted 700gb of non-related data

by Keniis

Original Post

Highlighted

Uninstalling BF2042 Deleted 700gb of non-related data

★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: EA app
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post)
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Other (Please Describe)
Please describe Problems with game uninstallation
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 09.06.2022 approx 11:10AM
Summarize your bug Well, I was uninstalling BF2042 through the EA Deskstop App and the process took a bit longer than usual... well, needless to say, it deleted the whole "Games" directory with everything in it. About 700gb of data was lost, including mods etc. This has happened only with BF2042 so far only because it didn't create a folder for itself and simply installed itself in the "Games" folder between all of the other game folders, hence deleted the whole folder upon installation. Like, to think that EA/DICE would have this kind of problem is just... well, laughable, to be honest.
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to install the game multiple times in a specific folder, pressumably empty to avoid a loss of data. If it doesn't create a folder named after the game "Battlefield 2042", let it install. Once it's installed, uninstall it and it will delete the whole root folder, not only the files related to the game. Although, once it creates the folder called "Battlefield 2042" and you uninstall the game, it will delete only the said folder..
What happens when the bug occurs? Well, it deletes the root folder where it's installed.
What do you expect to see? Well, obviously I expect to see this issue no longer present, hence fixed.

I have no additional information to provide, everything is stated above.

Message 1 of 1 (202 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help