Re: Unable to change game installation directory from EA desktop app

by Kerad2

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

I actually just spent over 40 minutes on the phone un Fing my accounts and was told by the analyst I spoke with that your EA PC account and your EA GamePass Ultimate are going to run off 2 different EA Accounts. Not just the 1 (like it prop should). Meaning as it stands right now we will never be able to see the list of EA Games we own in combination with the EA Games we download from gamepass. The only way would be to work outside the launchers and just use the game icons like we used to do back in the day (and ignore the fact that a launcher is going to spool every time). 

I did not expect this lol.

Message 21 of 164 (6,030 Views)

★★★ Newbie

thank you

Message 22 of 164 (6,035 Views)

★ Apprentice

@jdog2k7 I actually can see games that I own via EA that are available through EA Play on my Xbox app. If you look at the screenshot, you can see Battlefront is there. I don't even have my EA account properly hooked up to my Xbox account right now because I can't get the app to launch via the Xbox app.

Message 23 of 164 (6,034 Views)

Re: EA Desktop app - Change game install location error

★★★★ Apprentice
@AN0THER_PERS0N you should be able to use the temporary workaround where you manually input the drive and folder location.. post #4 and #5 explain it in detail.. in short, you can manually type the drive and folder location that already exists and it will install it there.. give it a try.. good luck.
Message 24 of 164 (6,008 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Kerad2 does the workaround still work? When I click on change install directory I just get a black flash, like a pop for half a second.
Message 25 of 164 (5,995 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@ErgoProxyKilla does the workaround still work? When I click on change install directory I just get a black flash, like a pop for half a second.
Message 26 of 164 (6,000 Views)

Re: EA Desktop app - Change game install location error

★★★ Newbie

Hi guys, I have the same problem here but I'd like to highlight a point. I experienced this issue downloading Battlefield 1 and 4. Downloading in a secondary D:/ hard drive caused problems with the normal functioning of the games. Battlefield 1's menu is missing of 3d rendered objects, videos and pictures while Battlefield 4 had the "no sound" problem. I think  the problem is that both games use the folder DOCUMENTS for main things, as the main menu and settings, and installing the game on a different hard drive create the error. 

In order to prove my idea I had installed EA Desktop in D:/ drive and installed Battlefield 4 on C:/ drive. Than, I'm going to install Battlefield 1 on C:/ and if it works I'm going to try reinstalling both on D:/ drive.

See you later for updates!

Message 27 of 164 (5,979 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@Raiyaan11I just tried it and it still works for me.. You should get a blank screen and at the bottom you should be able to manually type in the new path you want the game to install to.. i added a picture for you to see. if you don't get that, than i'm not sure, you may have another issue..

Message 28 of 164 (5,959 Views)

★ Novice

Ok so I had the same issue, but also had enough space on C to just go with it for now, but I am wondering, is there a way to move the Games after installation? From C to E?

Message 29 of 164 (5,906 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had the exact same issue.  However I did a little more digging and I found a perfect workaround.  The only limitation is that you cannot change it on a per game basis as it is changing the global default for the EA Play Desktop application.

1. Exit the EA Play Desktop application by clicking the file menu option (3 line icon  in the upper left corner) and click Exit.
  2. Open the Windows File Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\<USER_NAME>\AppData\Local\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop. (<USER_NAME> is the Windows user you are logged in with).
    • Example: C:\Users\jdoe\AppData\Local\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop
  3. Open the user_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.ini file in a text editor (Notepad, Notepad++, etc.)
    • Example: user_17732925385589217201.ini
  4. Edit the user.downloadinplacedir variable to have the correct path to use to download/install games.
    • Example: user.downloadinplacedir=D:\Program Files\EA Games\
  5. Save the changes to the user_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.ini file.Relaunch the EA Play Desktop application and the default install location will now be correct.
Message 30 of 164 (5,802 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help