Re: Oof, Something Exploded

by Hysiq

Original Post

★★★ Novice
Just wanted to say that as of 10.27.2020, this is still an issue. Brand new install, immediate 'Oof' loop. Going to wait for an update to the client before messing with it more, since the fixes mentioned in this thread do not appear to work universally.
Message 21 of 71 (1,801 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I second this message!

Message 22 of 71 (1,798 Views)

★★★ Novice

I was able to figure out a workaround. I had to close the app fully and run it as an administrator. 

Message 23 of 71 (1,759 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Also having this issue. Looks like I'll have to open task manager to close the app as it won't let me. Not to mention that big blue box that is in the way (and I cannot move, minimize or close) as I'm typing this. 

Message 24 of 71 (1,750 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks @MisterJimmyJam

Running as admin worked in my case. Only had to run it as admin once and then subsequential runs worked normally without having to run elevated.

Message 25 of 71 (1,733 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Same issue here

Product: EA Desktop
Platform: PC, Windows 10 Pro
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post) cc5b3faf-9bc2-4ae5-8540-185024195c3e
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Application Navigation
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 27.10.20 17:25
Summarize your bug: Every time I launch the application and log in I receive an error message that states "Oof, something exploded. An unresolvable error has occurred. Please restart the app."
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Launch the application.
What happens when the bug occurs? I am unable to navigate the main application. If i tell the application to restart the error persists.
What do you expect to see? The main application and all that entails.

Message 26 of 71 (1,725 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi EA Tom, 
The EA Desktop does the same thing but then I got it working and then I tried logging out and back in and the screen returned as of today's update. 

Also, WHERE's my Desktop Shortcuts... I pay for my shortcuts. I want my shortcuts.

Message 27 of 71 (1,714 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah I get rhe Dana message that something exploded. And it’s right after the install too. 

Message 28 of 71 (1,715 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Weirdly, you can hit alt+f4 and close the modal popup (or whatever process spawned it), and the client more or less works or lets you set settings and navigate. It's just shaded due to the popup being spawned earlier.

I have not yet found what precisely is causing the erroring or crashing yet, but it seems like a minor showstopper. Hopefully EA can resolve this soon.

I'll update again if I find anything; client logs seem most appropriate, or looking closer at what I just alt+f4'ed.

Update, like 15 minutes later:

Well that's weird - after 100% reproducing this just by reopening the app (either via the app itself, or after killing all the EA Desktop processes), I can't reproduce the issue now. It just works.

The only thing I did was update my AdGuard filters and had the filtering log open, in case some essential communications with some server was being blocked, and to delete my log files in `%LOCALAPPDATA%\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\Logs`. The purpose of that move was to just so I can review the logging with a clean state (albeit, with EA Desktop launching/logging in with cached credentials), and immediately into an errored state.

Well, upon relaunching, it just worked. The logs do have some errors, but they pertain to certs and one error 403 loading some remote resource. All seems fine in the client now.

I doubt I did anything to actually resolve it, but if you really had to try any takeaways from my post, it's to disable system-wide or network ad/privacy blockers temporarily (or at least update your filters), flush your DNS cache (`ipconfig /flushdns` in command-line). And check your log files for hints. You can try deleting/clearing them out, if you really want to replicate my steps, but I seriously doubt these things changed anything, heh.

Does it work for some of you right now? If you haven't changed anything, and it works, then it would indeed imply it's server-sided. And not loading some remote resource isn't handled gracefully.

Final Edit:

Did a good old reboot just to be sure. No issues so far. I think the claims about it needing to run as admin at least once holds more water. Event logs say that EABackgroundService is what failed each time, and not quite the EA Desktop app (hence you can alt+f4 the error popup). I think when I relaunched the app after killing all its processes, it launched with admin elevation, and resolved itself. UAC is not disabled in my case, but it auto-elevates for my user's requests in my setup. Taking a guess, maybe the installer, after finishing the installation process, launches it differently, causing this error loop.

Message 29 of 71 (1,705 Views)

★★★ Novice

This fixed the problem for me. Let me know if it works for you?

When you get the error and it restarts, close the login box before it tried to log in and gives you the error again.

After you close that open task manager.

Make sure EA Desktop is closed if not force it closed choose end task.

Scroll down in task manager and force EA background service to end task.

Once closed give it a few seconds then open EA desktop with administrator right.

After I did that it worked fine.

I havent restarted my pc, to run it again. But you may have to do it each time you reboot, or just give EA desktop full time admin rights.

Good luck, let me know if it works for you?

Message 30 of 71 (1,679 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help