Error During Installation (Something blew up...)

by GT500org

Original Post

Error During Installation (Something blew up...)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: EA Desktop
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post)
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Application Installer
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 15.10.20 16:30
Summarize your bug Once the installation of EA Desktop is nearly complete, it fails with the message "Something blew up... EA Desktop encountered an error and couldn't finish installing." No other information is given about this error. OS = Win 10 x64 (2004), CPU = AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, RAM = 32 GB, Free Disk Space = 416 GB, Anti-Virus = Emsisoft Anti-Malware (attempted shutting EAM down and trying install again with same results)
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm not certain what causes it.
What happens when the bug occurs? Installation halts with an error message "Something blew up... EA Desktop encountered an error and couldn't finish installing." Clicking the "Retry" button results in the same error.
What do you expect to see? I expect installation to finish sucessfully.

Here's a screenshot of the error message:

EA_Desktop_installation_error.png

When attempting to report this error, the error reporting tool also displayed an error message:

EA_Desktop_error_report_error.png

Note that at the point in the installation at which the error message is displayed the error reporting tool and many other files are sitting in the installation folder, so I was able to run the error reporting tool and attempt to submit an error report. I was greeted with the above error message upon attempting to submit my error report.

Message 1 of 26 (7,828 Views)

Re: Error During Installation (Something blew up...)

EA DICE Team

@GT500org 

Hi,

Thanks for trying the EA Desktop Beta, and submitting a bug report. 

If the Error Report won't work, an installer log files will still do the trick for us to investigate. If you have a moment, could you check if you can still find them? They are located in C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp, and something like "Origin_Beta_20200420135147.log".

Message 2 of 26 (7,773 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Here are the logs from the most recent attempt to install EA Desktop.

BTW: The path would be either %TEMP% or %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp (adding "C:\Users\" to the beginning wouldn't work).

Attachment
Download this attachment
Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 3 of 26 (7,760 Views)

★★★ Newbie

any fix for this? I am encountering the same problem, ea play desktop program was already installed, installed Madden 21 and it froze on the "finalizing download". Restarted my computer and then the ea play desktop app would not open and would come up with missing file errors, tried to repair the app but no option for it and ended up deleting it to do a new install so it would have all the files and now I can not install the EA desktop app and get the exact error listed in this post.

Message 4 of 26 (7,539 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Bionic19D No technical assistance was ever offered by EA beyond asking for logs, and I never bothered trying again to see if they fixed the issue.
Message 5 of 26 (7,524 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same issue here, please see attached logs.

Attachment
Download this attachment
Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 6 of 26 (7,467 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Sh0tgun84According to your log files the problem happens when the installer attempts to start the EA Background Service, but is unable to do so. The log files can't show any reason why the start command failed despite the installer running elevated. Windows Event Viewer might be able to show more details from system level at the point the failure happens, but my first guess would be something like an anti-virus program blocking it.

The same error condition is also shown in the log files from the thread starter. They do mention a third-party AV being installed, but say the error happens even if it is disabled. I'm not familiar with that AV in particular, but with many AV software "disabling" it will disable the real-time file scanning while some other system protection features might still be active, so this could very well be the source.

Message 7 of 26 (7,446 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just turned off my firewall and it installed right away.

Message 8 of 26 (6,585 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I tried downloading Star Wars Squadrons though my Xbox PC app and it redirected me to the EA Beta App. I got this message when trying to download it too.

To fix it, i simply closed my Xbox app and re signed into the EA app and it worked fine. It was probably conflicting 

Message 9 of 26 (6,324 Views)

EA SPORTS FC Team

Thanks for letting us know @TheMightyKinkle and @iRoGiRo.

Jason.png
Message 10 of 26 (6,241 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help