EA app error "DisplayName field missing from registry"

by Neon_James

Original Post

Displayname missing from the registry F1 22

★ Novice

Product: F1 22
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug I receive and error that says - Displayname missing from registry. It says that the game is not activated. It happens everytime when I start the game and I receive 5+ times the same error, but can start the game and play it without any issues.
What is your 16 digit Report Code?
Which area is the bug/glitch in? My Team
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Did you have cross-play enabled? Yes
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The bug appears when I try to start the game from EA Desktop.
What happens when the bug occurs? Just the error appears several times. It also started to minimize the game, while I am playing it.
What do you expect to see? I expect to see no errors.

I get the same error everytime I try to start the game. It appears more than 5 times at one. The issue is only with this game. It says that the product is not activated on Origin. It asks for credentials and when I provide them nothing happens. I have bought the game on day one of the release. The strange thing is that I can play the game even though the error says that the game is not activated. Online, Offline and Co-op works without issues. The problems is that it is really irritating. It started after I installed Windows 11 on my computer. Origin was dead already and the only option left was EA Desktop, although it still wants me to open origin.com and sign in there.

Message 20 of 145 (1,663 Views)

Re: "Could Not Activate" – Battlefield 1 (Trial) despite owning full g

★★★ Newbie
@Tmpst Same issue here, I ended up uninstalling BF1, the messages were too annoying and then the game booting up every second was te last straw.

Will try reinstalling to see if that helps...
Message 21 of 145 (1,671 Views)

Re: DisplayName field missing from registry error

★★★ Novice
I have the same problem
Message 23 of 145 (3,115 Views)

Could not activate DisplyName

★★★★ Pro

Product: The EA app
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post) ac94d748-f89c-4472-a89d-a74cf1f26ce4
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Other (Please Describe)
Please describe A popup that randomly appears
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) randomly
Summarize your bug Upon being forced to uninstall Origin, the EA app has a random pop up that appears in which is says: "We could not activate DisplayName field missing from Registry." This will appear even during gameplay and closes the game for a min.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I have no idea
What happens when the bug occurs? A pop up appears (The taskbar shows the origin logo)
What do you expect to see? n/a

Upon being forced to uninstall Origin, the EA app has a random pop up that appears in which is says:

"We could not activate DisplayName field missing from Registry."

This will appear even during gameplay and closes the game for a min.

My question is: why force people to uninstall something that works and force them to install an App that is clearly and obviously bugged? Why? I makes zero sense. 

Message 24 of 145 (3,164 Views)

Re: Could not activate DisplyName

★★★★★ Guide
@Buzzfunk This game is probably battlefield 1 ;-)
Message 25 of 145 (3,156 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@ZjemCiKolege I had the same problem, but with Anthem.
Seems like some of the games you have gotten through EA Play (previously Origin Access), has this issue.
I had to delete Anthem, and the popups disappeared
Message 26 of 145 (3,153 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I get this but 3 times in a row, very annoying. Im not deleting the games they need to fix this issue

Message 27 of 145 (3,133 Views)

"Could not Activate"

★ Expert

Desktop Screenshot 2022.12.11 - 09.40.10.85.pngAfter Origin (RIP) turned into EA App, I've been getting these windows pop up while playing BF2042. They keep opening multiple instances. Yesterday after a few hour-long gaming session I closed the game and had like 6 of them open. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

Message 28 of 145 (1,333 Views)

Re: Anthem DisplayName Field Missing From Registry

★★★★★ Newbie

I've been having the same problems. I even contacted EA support and they told me to clear my EA play cache and reboot my computer. Still didn't work, I'm at a loss.

Message 29 of 145 (2,420 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@ZjemCiKolege how do you know this?
Message 30 of 145 (2,468 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help