EA app error "DisplayName field missing from registry"

by Neon_James

Original Post

Re: "Could not Activate"

★★★ Novice
@UP_LordPlumber Same issue since EA app replaced origin, haven't found any fix.
Message 91 of 142 (764 Views)

Re: Activation prompt window Battlefield 1

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

EA please fix this nonsense! Remove the BF1 Trial from the game data.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 165322.png

I don't know why but installing BF4 does this:
Screenshot 2023-01-02 234559.png

Message 92 of 142 (1,199 Views)

Re: Activation prompt window Battlefield 1

★★★★★ Novice

I may have bumped into something here.

My games have Product Keys attached and visible when going through [Game > Manage > View Properties].

The exception to this being Battlefield 1. See the attached screenshots as example. The Product Key is missing entirely.

Do you all here happen to also have the following edition of the game?

"Battlefield™ 1 Early Enlister Deluxe Edition"

BF1ExampleNOGAMEKEY.png

BF2142Example.png

Message 93 of 142 (1,152 Views)

displayname field missing from registry for nfs unbound

★★★ Newbie

I just installed this game on my brand new laptop but having this problem. I'm honestly not sure how to fix this, reinstalled both the ea app and the game itself and the problem still persists.

Another thing, I was able to get into the game but my saves from my previous computer didn't carry over.

nfs unbound display name error

Would really appreciate any help.

Message 94 of 142 (1,212 Views)

Re: displayname field missing from registry for nfs unbound

★★★ Newbie

Having this same problem, purchased the game and installed it for the first time on my steam deck. Then decided to give it a go on my main PC and the game downloads fine but then pops this error box up over and over again. The game will still boot and my save progress from the steam deck will still be present and I can carry it on etc but the game minimises every ten mins or so when this popup box appears which it pretty annoying. 

Message 95 of 142 (1,172 Views)

Re: EA app error "DisplayName field missing from registry"

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

This issue has existed almost as long as EA Desktop has. The fact it still exists, even with a fresh install of Windows, EA Desktop, and the game (in my case bfvTrial.exe), is truly astonishing. On top of that, the app also lacks basic features like moving games to a different location or creating desktop and start menu shortcuts after a game is already installed. This "replacement" for Origin is somehow way worse than Origin ever was. It really shows how much EA cares about the PC platform.

Message 96 of 142 (1,237 Views)

Re: DisplayName field missing from registry

★★ Novice

Same with me. Just the pop-up that says "We could not activate DisplayName field missing from registry" so I have no idea what is causing the issue. 

Message 97 of 142 (1,216 Views)

Re: DisplayName field missing from registry

★★★ Novice

Ive been getting the exact same error for weeks now, and its extremely annoying as a new popup window appears if the EA app is open about every few minutes. When playing a game this causes a massive stutter and freeze too.

This is the popup I see: Error message

The text just says: We could not activate DisplayName field missing from registry. on this computer using the EA Account you provided. Please locate your product key to activate the game using your EA Account

Using Task Manager, I could look at the properties for each of the "activation UI" pop-ups, and when viewing the file location each one points to "G:\Games\EA\Battlefield 1\Core\ActivationUI.exe", so it is caused by Battlefield 1 just as others have seen. The issue is that I have no product key as far as I can find. Logging into my EA account in the browser, there is no product key found when viewing my past purchases. When viewing the properties in the EA app, there is no product key field either.

I do own the game. It was pre-ordered through Origin, and all DLC was also bought through Origin. I am on a fresh windows 11 install, and have only used the EA Desktop App.

Message 98 of 142 (1,173 Views)

Re: "Could Not Activate" – Battlefield 1 (Trial) despite owning full g

★★ Novice

For those wanting to know exactly how to do what ChronoSquirrel described here, here's the instructions.

1. Open up Terminal (Command Prompt) in your game's folder. I'll be using my issue game (BattleFront 2) as an example.
  2. Type: "cd C:\Program Files\EA Games\STAR WARS Battlefront II" into command prompt to get to your game's folder. Obviously, the last part of that will be different if you're having issues with a different game.
  3. Get the file size for that trial exe by using the dir command, like this: "dir starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe". That command told me that the starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe is 283,155,264 bytes
  4. Rename "starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe" to "starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe.bak" (or you could probably just delete it altogether)
  5. You can now create the replacement dummy file by typing this command: "fsutil file createnew starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe 283155264"

This probably isn't for the computer illiterate out there, but I can confirm that for me, it also worked, and it didn't cause the game to launch every time that the EA launcher is opened (this is what happens if you simply rename the trial file with a bak extension and leave it at that).

Message 99 of 142 (1,211 Views)

Re: "Could Not Activate" – Battlefield 1 (Trial) despite owning full g

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Maverick2260 wrote:

For those wanting to know exactly how to do what ChronoSquirrel described here, here's the instructions.

1. Open up Terminal (Command Prompt) in your game's folder. I'll be using my issue game (BattleFront 2) as an example.
  2. Type: "cd C:\Program Files\EA Games\STAR WARS Battlefront II" into command prompt to get to your game's folder. Obviously, the last part of that will be different if you're having issues with a different game.
  3. Get the file size for that trial exe by using the dir command, like this: "dir starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe". That command told me that the starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe is 283,155,264 bytes
  4. Rename "starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe" to "starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe.bak" (or you could probably just delete it altogether)
  5. You can now create the replacement dummy file by typing this command: "fsutil file createnew starwarsbattlefrontii_trial.exe 283155264"

This probably isn't for the computer illiterate out there, but I can confirm that for me, it also worked, and it didn't cause the game to launch every time that the EA launcher is opened (this is what happens if you simply rename the trial file with a bak extension and leave it at that).

Thank you for the instruction @Maverick2260.

I followed the steps; EA Desktop starts without Activation spam and Battlefield 1 starts without file corruption errors (that occur if you just rename or delete bf1Trial.exe).

Here's a screenshot for reference.

Screenshot 2023-01-07 082655.png

Message 100 of 142 (1,272 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help