EA Desktop client installation location cannot be changed

by sfried0

Original Post

Accepted Solution

EA Desktop client custom installation folder

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Please give users the ability to change the directory where EA Desktop installs its main client.

I'm not refering to the installation directory of the games themselves, rather the EA Desktop application, as some users prefer to keep their System drives clear of any unnecessary programs (such as those who have their System drives on an M.2 drive), or prefer to install them on a separate HDD/SDD for better program/app management.

Having the installer automatically proceed installing upon double-clicking without prompts also presents some security issues as well.

Message 2 of 37 (18,866 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: EA Desktop client custom installation folder

[ Edited ]
EA SPORTS FC Team

Cm Edit in 2023, app has been updated and install sequence has been changed. 

Jason.png

View in thread

Message 15 of 37 (20,474 Views)

All Replies

EA Desktop client installation location cannot be changed

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: EA Desktop
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post)
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Application Installer
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 03.03.21
Summarize your bug Cannot specify which directory/path EA Desktop app installs in/No option for custom directory install.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Run EADesktopInstaller.exe
What happens when the bug occurs? EA Desktop client automatically installs itself in the default directory ("C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop" for most systems) with no opportunity for user to change installation path (for those with multiple hard drives).
What do you expect to see? An option to change client installation directory before beginning installation.

Everytime I double click on the EADesktopInstaller.exe file, EA Desktop would automatically install itself on the default C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop or System drive, with no prompt or option to change the installation directory to a different drive or path.

Would it be possible to install the EA Desktop app in another location other than the default? I actually wanted to separate all my system apps (which are all installed in a small capacity M.2 drive) from my actual "work" apps (which are in a separate SSD), but I find installers like these that don't even prompt me about the install location to be rather intrusive (much like many other apps that use SquirellInstaller or other "quick" install options).

Message 1 of 37 (19,317 Views)

Community Manager

We appreciate the feedback! 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 3 of 37 (18,824 Views)

[ Edited ]

@EA_Kent 

I second @sfried0  here.
Not to be able to choose the install location of applications is some of the most annoying trends recently. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 37 (18,802 Views)

Just posting to say Me Too, I would really prefer to install the app where I keep all the rest of my game-related content.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 37 (18,792 Views)

Can't change instal location no matter how many times i press the button

★★★ Newbie

The title says it all really, i press button and receive nothing.

Message 6 of 37 (18,762 Views)

Re: EA Desktop client installation location cannot be changed

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

My bad, everyone! I totally misunderstood the post lol. sorry

Message 7 of 37 (19,111 Views)

Re: Can't change instal location no matter how many times i press the button

★★★ Newbie

HI, I get something similar, I get a blank "select folder" dialogue box and that's it, 3 times on the helpdesk chat and nothing.

Message 8 of 37 (18,704 Views)

★★ Novice

@ItIsRecoil wrote:

There only appears to be one solution to this issue. When changing the install location, you can use the folder search bar to manually type the location. So for example: if you wanted it somewhere in your D:\ drive you could type in the search bar: D:\EA Desktop\Games. Make sure the folders already exist though before doing that.

I don't think you understood the post? The problem here is that the client itself is installing into a default location without giving the option to change the client's install location. What you are describing is the solution to changing where the games install. Also I would like to see this changed too as apparently having the client installed in one drive and my games in another drive causes many problems and bugs in many games.

Message 9 of 37 (19,087 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@ItIsRecoil wrote:

There only appears to be one solution to this issue. When changing the install location, you can use the folder search bar to manually type the location. So for example: if you wanted it somewhere in your D:\ drive you could type in the search bar: D:\EA Desktop\Games. Make sure the folders already exist though before doing that.

I don't think you understand: You can't change the install location at all because the installer for the EA Desktop app (the client app, not the games themselves) doesn't even prompt you for a location and automatically installs itself in the default location specified.

As I've said, I'm not talking about the games, but the EA Desktop app.

Message 10 of 37 (19,052 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help