EA Desktop Background Services not disabled using toggle in Application Settings

by codebluetm

Original Post

Accepted Solution

EA Desktop Background Services not disabled using toggle in Application Settings

★★ Apprentice

Product: EA Desktop
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post) 74945649-7c92-4979-acbb-5865da3f219c
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Other (Please Describe)
Please describe EA Desktop Background Services not disabling using the setting in Application Settings
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 13.10.20 12:34 (Today)
Summarize your bug In EA Desktop Application Settings, the toggle for Background Services shows as if it is turned off, but when looking in Windows Services Management Console, the EABackgroundService remains enabled and running.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go to EA Desktop Application Settings, then toggle off the setting for Background Services. After that, open Services Management Console in windows and look for EABackgroundService and see service status (running) and startup type (automatic).
What happens when the bug occurs? Background Services for EA Desktop remains enabled and running in spite of turning it off in Application Settings.
What do you expect to see? The service should be stopped and/or disabled when it is turned off in EA Desktop Application Settings.

In EA Desktop Application Settings, the toggle for Background Services shows as turned off, but when looking in Windows Services Management Console, the service EABackgroundService remains enabled and running.

Go to EA Desktop Application Settings, then toggle off the setting for Background Services. After that, open Services Management Console in windows and look for EABackgroundService and see service status (running) and startup type (automatic).

Background Services for EA Desktop remains enabled and running in spite of turning it off in Application Settings.

The service should be stopped and/or disabled when it is turned off in EA Desktop Application Settings.

Message 1 of 48 (68,297 Views)

Accepted Solution

Rif.: EA Desktop Background Services not disabled using toggle in Application Se

★★★ Novice

I found it. its connected to a windows service:

Windows key --> type in services --> click on the services app new windows opens --> click in it --> type "e" to navigate to the "EABackgroundService" --> right click --> properties --> change start type to "manually"

View in thread

Message 45 of 48 (45,462 Views)

All Replies

Service runs in background on its own

On several occasions, I've seen an "EA Background Service" with the Desktop App logo listed in the Task Manager's background processes despite my not having opened the EA Desktop App.  At least twice, this happened when I'd restarted my computer since the last time I opened the app.  Today, I got a "stopped working" error from the service, even though I'd restarted multiple times since the last time I opened the app.  If anyone's interested in the error:

Spoiler

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\EA Desktop\EABackgroundService.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: EABackgroundService.exe
Application Version: 12.0.15.4021
Application Timestamp: 5f738637
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.18362.1139
Fault Module Timestamp: a8b891f5
Exception Code: e06d7363
Exception Offset: 0000000000043b29
OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 464d
Additional Information 2: 464da6dd05ca6ca69154735cd01ae8da
Additional Information 3: ac94
Additional Information 4: ac941b7451aaeb57def89b5966d4f6ad

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: ad0a62811eadecb32ad401e9380de34d (1933172241228227405)

I understand that beta apps gather information for the benefit of developing the app, but it's a bit extreme to let it run when I haven't been using it.

I did have Origin open around that time, but Origin is installed on a different drive, and opening it just now didn't launch any extra background services.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 48 (66,975 Views)

EA Desktop App running in background, causing huge lag in other non-EAgames

★★ Novice

I was playing a game not from Origin/EA Desktop and had huge lags. I thought it was my internet connection messing up but eventually I checked task manager and saw the EA desktop app running in the background (despite me not opening it in a few days) consuming 30 MBPS of bandwidth thus causing huge lag in game. 

Message 3 of 48 (66,284 Views)

Re: EA Desktop Background Services not disabled using toggle in Application Sett

★★★ Novice

I'd like to add that disabling the Background Service causes EA Desktop to fail to start. If we could disable it, as the settings in EA Desktop suggest, then why does EA Desktop critically fail when the background service can't be reached?

Right now I'm using a workaround of not allowing the service to start at system boot (change startup type to manual) and then I use scripts to kill the service after I'm done playing any EA game. This 100% isn't the way it should be but unfortunately it is how I see things going. I don't trust that EA will actually allow us to disable the background service since I'm fairly certain it does more than manage downloads when EA Desktop isn't running.

Message 4 of 48 (68,136 Views)

Re: EA Desktop App running in background, causing huge lag in other non-EAgames

Community Manager
@crnossunce Wanted to check if this happened for both the Origin Client and the EA Desktop one?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 5 of 48 (66,104 Views)

How do I stop EA Desktop from running in the background?

★★★★ Novice

Despite what I've heard, there is no "background services" option in its settings, nor does EAD even show up as an app in the "background apps" windows settings menu. It uses an inordinate amount of processing power for a background application AND pops up in a window on the bottom when I close it. Is there any real, actual way to disable it, or is all this difficulty on purpose so that I have to have an EA app constantly run in my background just to play one or two games sometimes?

Message 6 of 48 (66,268 Views)

Re: EA Desktop Background Services not disabled using toggle in Application Sett

★★★★★ Novice

Soo can you chare the fix?

Message 7 of 48 (67,407 Views)

★★★★ Novice

+1 to this, it's absurd the application won't even launch when the background service is disabled. It's a storefront, why does it need to be running a background process?

Message 8 of 48 (67,320 Views)

★★ Novice

I observe the same behavior and it is bad and needs to be fixed. If whatever needs to run while the launcher is open and I'm playing games, fine. But it should NOT be running when I manually close and exit the application. Please address this issue or make it an issue if this was the intention with creating EABackgroundService.exe to run permanently on every person's machine at all times. 

Message 9 of 48 (67,168 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I think its been making my computer crash too.

With an error that the service has timed out, even if I hadn't even opened EA Desktop during my current session, and while playing EA Game Titles. 

Message 10 of 48 (67,101 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help