Re: EA Desktop App gets recorded by GeForce Experience, breaks screenshots/recor

by CheshireMoe

Original Post

Accepted Solution

EA Desktop App gets recorded by GeForce Experience, breaks screenshots/recording

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The EA app
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post) 8f1f483f-da52-4322-84fb-c85cae72a15d
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Launch Game
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) ‎21.01.2023 ‏‎06:40
Summarize your bug Your new EA app is seen as a game by GeForce Experience, Nvidia's tool for taking screenshots and recording videos (and possibly other recording software) and thus GeForce Experience records the EA app instead of the game you are launching. The default screenshot, recording and instant replay app of all Nvidia GeForce graphic cards gets broken by your new EA app. This did not happen with Origin.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? On a system with an Nvidia GeForce GPU, install GeForce Experience, turn on Instant Replay, and launch an Origin/EA-App-linked game from Steam (for me it happens with Battlefield 4).
What happens when the bug occurs? GeForce Experience starts recording the EA Desktop app, and does NOT record the game you are launching. Screenshot button also won't work.
What do you expect to see? The EA Desktop app should not be seen as a game by GeForce Experience or any other recording software, and the actual game you are playing should be recorded. With Origin this problem did not happen, it wasn't recorded, but since Origin auto-updated itself to the EA App recently when I launched BF4, recording BF4 doesn't properly work anymore.

Please fix this. I didn't ask for this new EA App, but it automatically installed itself when I launched BF4 from Steam and now it breaks my screenshot & game recording of Battlefield 4. The default screenshot, recording & instant replay app of all Nvidia GeForce graphic cards gets broken by your new EA app.

Btw for anyone else affected by this, I found a workaround until this gets fixed, once you're in your game, disable instant replay and turn it on again, now GeForce Experience will record the actual game and not the EA App. But if you forget to do this (need to do it every time after you launch a game...) then instant replay won't be recording your game and you will miss out on saving good moments because you didn't realize it was recording the silly EA Desktop app instead of your game... screenshot button also won't work.

Please fix this. Make it so the EA Desktop app won't be seen as a game itself...

Message 1 of 28 (3,147 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: EA Desktop App gets recorded by GeForce Experience, breaks screenshots/recor

★ Apprentice

Newest Nvidia driver 531.68 finally has it in "Fixed issues". At least according to their changelog "Shadowplay incorrectly getting engaged within EA Play application [4049414]".

I've already set it with Nvidia Profile Inspector but perhaps someone may check, who hasn't yet.

View in thread

Message 24 of 28 (2,001 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @Don_Sanchez,

Many thanks for this report. I also sometimes noticed the GeForce Experience Overlay notification appear when launching the EA app. The report has been passed on to the teams. Standard smile

EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 2 of 28 (3,112 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello, I have exactly the same problem. This bug also prevents renaming a live stream because the keyboard is not recognized.

Message 3 of 28 (3,068 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I just got forced to switch from Origin to the desktop app this week and have also experienced  this bug with BFV.  

If you turn on the Nvidia recording status indicator it shows up on the EA Destop app.   The work around did work for me. 

Interesting to me that the Nvidia performance  monitor does not show up on the app but does show up properly in-game.

Message 4 of 28 (2,924 Views)

Community Manager
@CheshireMoe, thanks for mentioning this!
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 5 of 28 (2,906 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

How long until this gets fixed? I just had an epic moment in Battlefield, pressed my hotkey to save the instant replay and... nothing. Because the EA Desktop app was being recorded again, instead of the game. This sorta thing has happened to me so many times the past weeks it's ridiculous. Thanks for forcing this app on us upon game launching. No "Maybe later" option, you know, when the biggest bugs have been fixed. No. It just auto-installed itself without any sort of prompt/user input. And now it's ruining paying customer's game experiences. My opinion of EA has never been as low as in the past few weeks...

Message 6 of 28 (2,882 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Just had another situation where I landed a great shot in Battlefield, went to press my hotkey to save the instant replay and... nothing. Because the "EA Desktop" app was being recorded again. So frustrating that it kinda kills the mood to even play Battlefield instead of other games - non-EA games that don't force EA's app and get recorded properly.

Since it seems to be taking a long time to get fixed and I'm f***ing tired of this happening I just went and made a simple script that launches BF4 and then automatically restarts GeForce Experience's instant replay so that I don't have to remember to do it manually after every game launch just because of that new, stupid "EA Desktop" app that's being forced on players. No more missing highlights. F*** this sh**.

Message 7 of 28 (2,845 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Another workaround for this is to turn on "Desktop Capture", under "Privacy Control" in the GeForce overlay settings.

Message 8 of 28 (2,819 Views)

Community Manager
Hey @Don_Sanchez,

It has been passed on to the teams for investigation. Unfortunately is that all we can do via the forums/us. It is up to the EA app dev teams to take a look at this potential issue and roll-out a fix. Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA when this will be.

@ThatLindeliusGuy, thanks for sharing this!
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 9 of 28 (2,808 Views)

How to stop EA App from being recorded by Shadowplay?

★★ Apprentice

Disabling hardware acceleration would probably do the trick, so tell me how to do it.
I didn't have this problem with Origin, but surprise surprise, the EA App, onto which I DID NOT want to downgrade, but were forced to, has it.

Video on the issue:
https://youtu.be/DwxdASZz5is?t=316

Message 10 of 28 (2,846 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help