EA Desktop APP can't detect already installed games

by yaboihappy

Original Post

EA Desktop APP can't detect already installed games

★★★ Novice

Product: EA Desktop
Platform:PC
Error Report ID (learn how to create an Error Report ID in the sticky post)
Which client functionality are you experiencing this bug with? Download Game
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 12.07.2021 14:40
Summarize your bug EA Desktop App dosen't detect already installed games when changing the install folder.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Change the installation folder in EA Desktop App and try to pause the installation and change the files to the old install files and resume. EA Desktop App will delete the files.
What happens when the bug occurs? All the time.
What do you expect to see? I expect to have the Desktop App verifying the game files and not download them all over again.

The solution is to:

- Install Origin

- Start installing the game, replace the files,

- Origin will detect them and you will have the game

- Launch EA Desktop App

- Uninstall Origin

Message 1 of 36 (41,551 Views)

Re: EA Desktop APP can't detect already installed games

EA SPORTS FC Team

I don't think that feature has been implemented yet @yaboihappy.

Once you reinstall the game through EA Desktop, the game should download and install correctly. 

Jason.png
Message 2 of 36 (41,465 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hey so i have recently gotten an error on titan fall 2 to re install because of a file corruption so I uninstalled it and it shows this image where it would originally say "download"

Message 3 of 36 (41,447 Views)

EA SPORTS FC Team

Got a screenshot for me @Skyth1230407?

Have you also tried clearing EA Desktop's cache via App Recovery?

Jason.png
Message 4 of 36 (41,437 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

OP, pls don't say its is a Solution to install in the same folder because u cannot install a game that already exists if u do not have enough free space on your hard drive. In that case u need to delete, then install a game that was installed before. In my certain case I have 60gb left and the 80gb game is installed, but after selecting install i cannot click on next, because "not enough space on hard drive". 

So my guess is that some guy should take his time at EA and just delete the block, so that u can click on next. Would take 30min max. to find the code and delete it. I mean its still a beta isnt it?

Message 5 of 36 (38,399 Views)

EA SPORTS FC Team

If only it was that easy @tigglsticks.

In general we would advise to have at least twice the space needed available on the hard drive as you'll also need space to perform the install. 

From what I have seen, the games are detected automatically when you first launch the app, or they start appearing in the app a few days later as I have noticed with my co workers.

Jason.png
Message 6 of 36 (38,285 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Ok if it is not that easy I can unverstanden that is not yet there but it is still no excuse. Having twice the space is suboptimal. Also I have the games installed since weeks and the are not detected. I just play other games instead of bothering with that. So no, the wont appear. Maybe the App will detect automatically after Reinstall but that is suboptimal too. Another good fix I can think of is being able to set multiple install locations, smth essential that is missing anyway. 

Message 7 of 36 (38,279 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a 10 megabit per second download speed. Does that mean that instead of having a troubleshooting step to detect a game I've already downloaded, I must spend another 24 hours to redownload a 110 Gigabyte game because you forgot to allow changing Install locations? Turns out I don't have the time or space on my computer to do that, so please tell me there's a better solution to resetting my progress, wasting a day or two with deleting and reinstalling files and having no internet connection because as I said before, my internet can't handle a download of that size.

Message 8 of 36 (36,386 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@HobgoblinZA And yes, I have done a cache recovery and repaired the app, so don't give that troubleshooting advice
Message 9 of 36 (36,386 Views)

★ Novice
@tigglsticks I installed EA App after a format, selected the folder with BF2042 in when installing BF 2042, it found it and started finalizing after 2 minutes...
Message 10 of 36 (35,369 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help