EA App Won't Launch Sims 3

by herbalsix

Original Post

Re: EA App Won't Launch Sims 3

@Jetstorm1991  Does Sims 3 open if you run it through Origin?  You can reinstall Origin from the link here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Downloading-and-installing-Origin-Windows-and-...

There's no need to uninstall the EA App; just don't try to run both apps at the same time.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 21 of 50 (3,336 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried to do this, but there are absolutely no files for the sims 3 in my files even though it is installed

Message 22 of 50 (3,261 Views)

@simmercutie8747  If Sims 3 is installed (on a computer running Windows), there will be a TS3.exe within the game's program files.  For an EA App install, the default location is this:

Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

This is NOT the Sims 3 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts, which is entirely separate.

What issue are you having trying to play Sims 3?  Please describe it, and also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 23 of 50 (3,250 Views)

★★★★ Novice

How do I do this?

Message 24 of 50 (3,230 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Frozenoulis Thank you! I was very frustrated that my game wouldn't start. That one little check (run as administrator) must have been the problem. The game starts with no problem now.
Message 25 of 50 (3,223 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

In case it helps someone else:

I found the files under

Program files (x86) > Origin games > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin

There are four .exe files:

Sims3Launcher

Sims3LauncherW

TS3

TS3W

I right clicked each one and chose Properties. I clicked the Compatibility tab. It shows a list of options with boxes next to them. On mine, one of the boxes was checked. ("Run this program as an administrator") I unchecked the box.

When I went back to the launcher and clicked Play, the game started right up.

I hope this makes someone else as happy as it makes me!

Message 26 of 50 (3,214 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have issues where it always says error on our end please try again later when I try to bring up the launcher to play. I attached the dxdiag

Message 27 of 50 (3,195 Views)

@simmercutie8747  Please try manually installing DirectX 9, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/SIMS-3-GAME-WON-T-LAUNCH-WINDOWS-10/m-p/10711778#M2478...

Once you've done that, if Sims 3 still won't launch, please let me know whether you can play through Origin.  You can download it from the link here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Downloading-and-installing-Origin-Windows-and-...

Message 28 of 50 (3,176 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't have a 12th generation one.  I have a 2nd generation one  (this computer is old.  O-L-D.)  But TS3 was running fine on its predecessor and ran fine on this one (for a while) so the hardware on my end is probably not the problem.

For completeness: All the compatability boxes are unchecked. 

I'm late returning to this party b/c for several weeks the app insisted I didn't have the base game and I just didn't have the spoons to even try to figure out what was wrong.  I managed to get that fixed this evening, but, again, I can't get the game to actually launch.  (And a second, corrupted, copy of Generations is still hanging about waiting to be downloaded when I've asked to have it removed because, well, it is corrupted, won't download all the way and just hangs...but that's another problem....)

I suspect that this is MS OneDrive effery, tbh.  But if it is, why does 4 play fine?
And how do I disable that if that is the problem?

Message 29 of 50 (3,119 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Anna_Dannir update: took the advice (found in another thread) and redownloaded DirectX 9 (DX9) from microsoft. And that seems to have solved the problem.
I think that at some point something must have removed that from my computer (because, lets be honest, it's pretty old and has been replaced by newer apps). Unfortunately I don't have a link (I had to restart my computer). But if everything else is good (no compatability checked, not running in Admin, etc) then that might be your problem.
Message 30 of 50 (3,107 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help