Re: BAP: Slider explanations please

by SuperGoalies

Original Post

BAP: Slider explanations please

★★★★★ Apprentice

Okay, going to ask about the sliders that have either confusing descriptions or confusing ones. I am going to assume that the same sliders will be used in NHL 23 so I the answers given will most likely carry over to future NHL years. Here is what I’m confused about. And a question for all sliders will be. Does it affect all positions? Goalie, Defense, Forwards? Keep in mind I play only BAP Goalie. 

AI Tab:

AI learning: The game says it “will adjust how quickly the CPU adjusts to your playing habits”. Questions: is the CPU your teammates, opponent or the coach or all 3? Is learning a positive move to help the teammates anticipate where you will be or does it help the opponents on your tendencies? If this helps the defense and goes against you, then why have this slider when you have a slider to make the AI more difficult to play against?

CPU and BAP strategy adjustment sliders: Determines if the CPU/BAP will change their strategy based on game context. Questions. Does this make the changes more offensive minded or does it equally affect the defense? I’m assuming at 0 that both teams will play whatever the default strategy is and will not change no matter how far or behind the team is. If the slider is at 6, and a team is up by 2 goals, will this make the team more defense minded or is the slider only affect the offense? 

User Strategy Adjustment: Determines if the AI will change the strategy for the user based on game context. Questions: What exactly does this do? What is the difference between CPU and AI? Are they not the same thing? From what I see it seems to make the players offense and defense awareness more at play when moved up. They go from a vanilla offense to performing more complex offense and perform one timers. But that could be a case of the placebo effect. Logically, it seems to me that the coach will change the strategy for the player only rather than the entire team. But if you are a goalie then there is no strategy to adjust so does this affect the team or individual (human player) and does it affect all positions? G/D/F? 

General Tab: 

Attribute Effects: The effects attributes will have on your players. Questions: What setting is the default setting where the attributes are most true to the default attributes. The gap between a 100 and a 70 rating is 30 points. If at a 5/10 setting is this the proper gap? If the slider set at 0 does that move the gap to 0 between the highest and lowest player? If at 10/10 does that improve a 100 rated player or reduces the 70 rated player or does it affect all players and where is the middle or fulcrum of the movement? Is each tick of the slider move a percentage,  factor, or a set amount of reduction and enhancement? Mainly want to know what setting is the golden setting where all attributes perform as shown on each players card? 

Knowing what these sliders do will help out many players who play BAP and help them adjust their game to their own and make the game playing experience better

Thank you

Message 1 of 6 (1,490 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I have the same questions. I watch my goalie with a higher rating get lit up like a Christmas tree all game on shots from the point with no screen, I take a blocker high shot throw traffic and some how a goalie with a 62 rating saves it every time. sliders need better explanation and I want the game to play more realistic. I watch the other team do give and gos to score and every forward on my team just skates right at the net never looking to pass and loses the puck. I watch my D partner let a 3rd line forward, we're 1st line D, walk right around him and score without any effort to stick check, poke check, or body check. its insane how bad the BaP teams AI is compared to the CPU team. I want to bounce my controller off the tv every time I play, my team is currently on a 12 game losing streak. I don't even want to play its so bad

Message 2 of 6 (1,388 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I feel your pain, but there could be more than one reason why you are getting scored on a lot. 

Look at your General settings and focus on Fatigue effect. I have the CPU fatigue set at 97/100.. This way the players get tired. Next is recovery,. I have the CPU recovery set at 5/100. If you have it set any higher than 10/100 then the first line is going to be out there for more than 30 min.. 7/100 is a decent balance, but if you go lower say at less than 7, then you get 4th liners involved and they wont score as much. BTW.. I have mine up higher.. 67/100.. as a goalie it really does not matter. 

Next is Shooting. Note the power of both shot power and slap shot power. I have mine set about 4 clicks apart. So my shot power is 40 and my slap shot power is 44. And Ill keep accuracy proportionate so 42 for shot and 38 for slap shot. The trade off here is that they wont score on me at will. I get a lot of shot off the posts and my team will sometimes miss the net from center ice, but its okay. 

Goalies: okay.. here is where I have done adjustments and still doing it. CPU save reaction time is 39/100 while mine is at 97/100. They still light me up even with 97/100 so I dont feel guilty one bit having up that high. I have 39 for CPU because my shot power is set at 40. With that setting the CPU goalie will have about a .900 save %. If its an elite goalie, then they will have a .945 save %.. so its a nice balance. It will expose the back up, but the elite goalie will do just fine. If you are scoring too much, raise this slider until happy. If you are not scoring enough and an elite goalie is constantly at .980.. then lower it by 1 and see how that works. 

AI.. everything is at 000 except CPU and BAP strategy.. mine is currently set at 4/6 for both teams. If you have it at 0, then the coach will not make adjustments so if you are losing by 2 in the 3rd, no adjustments will be made so the offense wont attack. Just play their basic, vanilla offense. If you have it set to 6, then it will constantly adjust but so will the other team. Here is where you’ll maximize the adjustments for the coaches. But I dont know if it only affects the offense or if it affects the Defense also. 

User Strategy I’m guessing is for the Human Player individuals coaching strategy.. BUT… when I adjust this I get scored on really easy and the offense starts performing more one timers, more spin o Rama and they get creative. Of course, it could be the placebo effect as well. So what I’m saying could be BS or have merit. Try it out and let me know what happens. 

But try those settings and only adjust ONE setting at a time. If you move one setting it will effect other settings as well. So just move one at a time and play a game. See how it woks out. 

Message 3 of 6 (1,362 Views)

Community Manager

@Javiair wrote:

AI Tab:

AI learning: The game says it “will adjust how quickly the CPU adjusts to your playing habits”. Questions: is the CPU your teammates, opponent or the coach or all 3? Is learning a positive move to help the teammates anticipate where you will be or does it help the opponents on your tendencies? If this helps the defense and goes against you, then why have this slider when you have a slider to make the AI more difficult to play against?

This means the AI players will adjust when they switch their strategies. They have access to the same strategies that humans do.

CPU and BAP strategy adjustment sliders: Determines if the CPU/BAP will change their strategy based on game context. Questions. Does this make the changes more offensive minded or does it equally affect the defense? I’m assuming at 0 that both teams will play whatever the default strategy is and will not change no matter how far or behind the team is. If the slider is at 6, and a team is up by 2 goals, will this make the team more defense minded or is the slider only affect the offense? 

Yes. This would be accurate.

General Tab: 

Attribute Effects: The effects attributes will have on your players. Questions: What setting is the default setting where the attributes are most true to the default attributes. The gap between a 100 and a 70 rating is 30 points. If at a 5/10 setting is this the proper gap? If the slider set at 0 does that move the gap to 0 between the highest and lowest player? If at 10/10 does that improve a 100 rated player or reduces the 70 rated player or does it affect all players and where is the middle or fulcrum of the movement? Is each tick of the slider move a percentage,  factor, or a set amount of reduction and enhancement? Mainly want to know what setting is the golden setting where all attributes perform as shown on each players card? 

This is something I don't have fine details on. Every slider is different and it's quite complex. 

Aljo.png
Message 4 of 6 (1,277 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Aljo Thank you for getting back to me. I know that sliders are complex and like a web. You mess with one strand and it could very well effect the whole web.
Just wanted to clear up a few things you posted.
I understand the AI learning answer you gave. Does this mean both sides learn how you play or just your teammates?

With regard to the BAP strategy, I know it effects the aggressiveness of the coaching change with affects the offense. But does it apply to the defense? If I have both sliders at 6/6 and my team is up by 1 in the 3rd, does mean team adjust the defense or does it push and try to score more. Like the saying goes the best offense is a good defense.

And as far as the attribute effects. I just would like to know what would be the best setting to get the truest rating effect. Doing the research and in years past supposedly a dev said 3/10 is the truest setting, but for me 5 would seem like the truest setting. I can figure out the rest, just want to know what would be the best setting..

I appreciate you looking into this and asking questions. The only one left would be the user strategy slider. I am guessing that it would effect the player only if he/she was a D man or a forward and have zero effect on a goalie because there is no strategy change at all for a goalie. But it seems like that the slider makes players smarter. Again, could be what’s really happening or its the placebo effect.

Thanks again
Message 5 of 6 (1,252 Views)

★★ Guide

I think they changed it, I looked all over the net, and gamers are putting settings like this now: CPU Strategy Adjustment: 3 and User Strategy Adjustment: 3 and Be A Pro Strategy Adjustment: 3, so what happens if you put them at all 3 at 5, someone also made another discovery, by putting : deflection save reaction time: CPU: 85-100 and Human: 85-100, will make your goalie tougher, now I tried too put goalie persistence at 50-70 for both CPU and human and it doesn't work, my players were still not able to beat them. now if put it at 20-25 for goalie persistence game plays awesome.

am not sure exactly sure why it's set up this way, but I think each setting, is its own unique value.

Message 6 of 6 (1,230 Views)