Re: Eye Strain

by Carbonic

Original Post

Eye Strain

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have one simple question:

I almost played all battlefield titles and i had a lot of fun. I never had any sort of problems playing those games.

So tell me why is so hard to play BFV. The blue tint,  the glare, that great amount of shadows and the colorful textures are killing my sight. I want to know why a developer would use these features to injure customers.

How people can still play this game without getting injured ?

I played a lot BF3,4 and 1 and never had this issue.

Message 1 of 25 (1,607 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Desert3142I can guarantee DICE did not make it a objective in development to injure customers eyes. I personally have not noticed any more blue opposed to other colors. There are color blind options that may reduce the harsh colors to your eyes.

A few other options might be:

• NVIDIA Freestyle (Game Filter in Shadow Play overlay) if you use their products that lets you set profiles for games too. It lets you change much more than just colors.
  • Changing your monitor color settings.
  • Changing color settings in your graphic driver settings.

I can tell this game is a lot more colorful compared to other previous games, however, I have never seen or heard complaints about it before this post. There are numerous ways to improve your experience, like the options I listed above as well as many more, that might help you enjoy the game.

Message 2 of 25 (1,593 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Talking about the complaints. If you want to read more about this issue you should search on google:

Eye Strain + Battlefield V. There are a lot of threads on the official reddit and forum of BFV about this issue.

The major complaints are about:

- TAA

- Blue tint

- Visibility

Many players experienced even headache beside eye strain.

BTW I play BF5 on a laptop and i already use nvidia shadowplay (i managed to remove the blue tint using night filter).

Now the issue i don't know how to fix is related to that annoying sun glare. It hurts my peripheral view of the righ eye.

Talking about the work of the developers. Just look at this picture. The colours of this map are oversaturated.

Blacks are too dark and Whites are to bright! This is the first map (MARITA) i've played after installing the game for the first time. I suffered headache for 2 days.

MARITA

On BF3 we had to deal with this sun glare wich was really annoying

BF3 Sun

On BF5 now we deal with this sun glare wich is larger and wider than last games.

BF5 Sun

I hope to be exhaustive about this issue.

Maybe there are more players using gaming glasses or they use monitors with special filters. Idk.

Message 3 of 25 (1,571 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Desert3142I do notice it after reading now lol. I still stick with what I said however, there is no reason for it to be done on purpose. It is most certainly an unintended outcome of making the game look colorful and 'beautiful' as some BF YouTubers put it.

To me it seems like it mainly started around the time Marita was added. Most of the OG maps seem a little more dull in coloring (which I enjoyed) and it came to the most colorful in the Pacific maps.

Message 4 of 25 (1,551 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Go to the Options-Video and see if any of the setting in there help.

Message 5 of 25 (1,459 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hi @Desert3142 

Dice don't purposely add effects to a game to cause any kind of damage. They want to make their games as realistic and immersive as possible and sometimes when they implement certain lighting it has negative effects on peoples eyes.
None of this can really be avoided without ruining the immersion/look of the game and even then something somewhere is still going to affect another person.

As the guys above mentioned, take a look through the settings to see if there is anything you can adjust to help. I would also recommend looking at your monitor/tv settings, they too can have very good features that can help eyesight when viewing.

Message 6 of 25 (1,443 Views)

Hero

The color blue is an artistic choice, while the blue background lightning is not good the blue filter in the game has little to do with "damaging your eyes". Monitors are bad for your eyes, not really Battlefield in particular. My best advice is you suffer from eye-strain - get a proper high refresh rate monitor that can lower the brightness and perhaps get some monitor glasses.

carbonic signature

Message 7 of 25 (1,435 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@CarbonCarl you tagged me btw, but I’m not the guy that posted this. I was trying to help him see if there is a way to help his eye strain in the video settings.
Message 8 of 25 (1,429 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@Das_KinderLumperOops sorry bud, I did change it because I started a reply to you by accident but it must have auto added it again and I missed it. I'll change it now.

Cheers

Message 9 of 25 (1,416 Views)

★★ Pro
As @Carbonic said: it is not the game, but looking at the monitor for hours a day, that can damage your eyes and cause eye-strain, headaches and so on. Blue light might cause these problems. I have tried monitor glasses myself, but I don´t like having everything tinted yellow during my workdays and playing games. I much more like adjusting the color output of my monitor or using foil filters, you can apply to the monitor screen.
However, what really causes eye-strain and headaches is the fact, that your eyes are focusing on the constant distance between you and your monitor. If you are like me (spending half of the day looking at monitors), you should start a habbit of looking somewhere else every couple minutes. The best option is to have a window behind your monitor, so your eyes can focus to the distance outside. Doing this worked wonders for me personally.
Message 10 of 25 (1,406 Views)