Crashing with RTX on ONLY

by CElite

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Crashing with RTX on ONLY

★★★★★ Novice

Battlefield V is crashing for me, often within 1 minute in MP, and only if RTX is enabled. I can see the raytraced reflections and play a tiny bit but it always crashes. I've probably had 50 crashes at this point (testing various things). In single player it takes a lot longer to crash, maybe half an hour.

Usually it's just an application hang and a very slow crash to desktop. Sometimes (only on driver version 416.64) I get a DXGI hung error message. I've tried downclocking my graphics core & mem by 999MHz (max value) and still get the crash. Stock settings crash as well.

I've tried clean driver reinstalls as well as driver version 416.94. I've tried cleaning my DX shader cache, disabling the Nvidia shader cache, and a bunch of others settings.

I've had no problems at all outside of BFV when RTX is enabled. RTX disabled in BFV works fine.

I've included a DxDiag

My specs:
Asus Z170 A mobo
i5-6600k

16GB DDR4-3000

EVGA 2080XC Ultra

BFV installed to SSD
650W high quality PSU

Message 1 of 31 (5,253 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Crashing with RTX on ONLY

★★★★★ Novice

Alright folks. I put together my new rig and the crashing is completely gone.

So it was definitively not my GPU, and is probably OS installation related, but may be Skylake chipset / CPU related.

View in thread

Message 18 of 31 (6,413 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide

@CElitethe only thing i can appreciate is your psu, under high loads with RTX on system needs more power and your card already is OC version so try using some high PSU , 650w is at least what manufacturer says to run card , if u have extra accessories on computer it may running short for power. try a bigger powersupply should solve your issue. these are power hungry cards esp with rtx on.

Message 2 of 31 (5,236 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Well I've been monitoring power usage, it's nowhere near hitting TDP and my PSU is not being used very much. Note my CPU has a lower TDP as well.

If I were on a 2080Ti I'd definitely be concerned about my 650W, but I'm pretty sure for my 2080 it is sufficient. Beyond that, like I mentioned, I downclocked it by 1000Mhz (less than half speed) and it still crashed just the same.

My PSU is far more taxed when playing VR and my GPU is at max load. In BFV with RTX I'm usually around 60% GPU load, in fact I've turned down settings so low I'm at 40% GPU load. It would have crashed during VR if it was a power supply issue.

As an aside, on another forum there is at least one other person with my exact problem on a 800W PSU.

Message 3 of 31 (5,227 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hey @CElite, there are new driver for the Nvidia Version 416.94 do a clean install with those drivers and see if that works out for you. Standard smile 

When you are playing Battlefield V is your CPU maxing aka 100% usage? 

/Atic 

Message 4 of 31 (5,166 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Unfortunately, as I stated, I've also tested 416.94 (I downgraded to see if that would fix the problem, it did not).

My CPU thread utilization is usually around 75%, maxing out around 82%, with RTX on or off, and in DX11 and DX12 both. With the way DICE was talking about the threading with RTX and expected to see higher CPU utilization, but it's just not happening. My GPU & CPU are at about the same amount of utilization when playing with RTX on.

Message 5 of 31 (5,159 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hey @CElite, do you run XMP or similar ram Overclock? If you are, try turning it off and see how that works for you. Standard smile 

/Atic 

Message 6 of 31 (5,127 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yeah, I do normally run with XMP & RAM "overclocked" (running at RAM spec), and I normally run a CPU overclock, but in the process of troubleshooting I turned XMP, RAM frequency, and CPU frequency to defaults (took photos of BIOS settings for easily restoring them).

After restoring to default settings I experienced the same crash.

I'm really thinking that either I have some fluke incompatibility with RTX/BFV+RTX because I am using an older chipset (Z170) and/or CPU, or my video card's RT cores are busted.

Message 7 of 31 (5,119 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Have you tried the following?

Open up  "NVIDIA Control Panel" -> from the NVIDIA Control Panel, select the "Manage3D settings" from the left column -> click on the Power management mode drop down box and select "Prefer Maximum Performance".

Message 8 of 31 (5,110 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yeah, selecting "Prefer Maximum Performance" makes no difference. Crashes as usual.

Message 9 of 31 (5,098 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hey @CElite, Nvidia released new GPU update yesterday try updating to those and see if you get any improvements.

/Atic

Message 10 of 31 (5,055 Views)