Battlefield 5 Performance Issues, Stutter and Frame drops

by UoSMeteor

Original Post

Re: Battlefield 5 Performance Issues, Stutter and Frame drops

★ Guide

I would get 1 second stutters with DXR, but it is flawless without DXR. When it happens my FPS and GPU usage drops to low numbers. This still happens after 4/4/2019 update. 

Message 11 of 21 (4,161 Views)

★ Guide

Stutter still occurs with DXR with 430.39 Nvidia driver.

Message 12 of 21 (4,069 Views)

★ Guide

Yup + crashes when DXR is enabled ...

Message 13 of 21 (4,058 Views)

★ Guide

There are stutters with DXR with BFV 4/30/2019 update.

Message 14 of 21 (3,986 Views)

★ Guide

BFV with DXR still stutters with Nvidia driver 430.64.

Message 15 of 21 (3,886 Views)

★★★★ Novice

4. Try disabling Windows Defender, and make sure Battlefield V has access with your Firewall

I cant believe you are even giving this as a step... 

never disable your protection for a game regardless of whats going on... it has nothing to do with the game running poorly its just the game optimisation is bad... task manager proves that...

Message 16 of 21 (3,871 Views)

★★★★ Novice

no you don't... I ran this game on a 4790k just fine

Message 17 of 21 (3,871 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@groundedjet  @UoSMeteor  @ISinlessViperI  @IPlayTooMuch_1 @_S7ORM-BRINGR  I did this write up for a PC having a hard time in BFV with FPS and game issues see link below and set everything to low do every setting and make cfg if needed with more settings. You can up the settings after you tested on low to find what works best for you.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/Set-up-for-the-most-FPS-in-BFV/m-p/7166307#M2480

What I can tell you guys and gals is CPU not strong enough for BFV and programs and settings can and will make issues... bad FPS and stutters in BFV. If you have a 20... something video card keep the DXR OFF it is still broken in BFV and keep it off until they fix it. I will put the settings guide below for your cards. If you have a stable OC be it ram or CPU you do not have to remove it that's just bad advice.  I run a manual OC on my ram with no issues and on a spare rig in this house had a Manual OC on a CPU and no issues in BFV. The key is stress test them for hrs & hrs to be sure its stable my ram was tested 8hr and 12hrs 2x to be sure she was good to go at 4266 Standard smile  @ISinlessViperI Well said Never turn off your system protection could not agree more. And to add to it you do not need to open ports either or at least I never had for any PC game in over 20 years unless it was for a game server I made back in the day lol.

Settings I use on desk top and in game and I used on other PCs in the house with BFV on them none have issues in BFV so try this but do all settings. If you still have stutters and mega FPS issues after doing all this then look at programs on your PC see at the bottom of this post...

For Origin turn off cloud storage and turn off origin in game. ___Make sure you turn both OFF

Open NVIDIA Control panel under 3D settings go to Adjust image settings with preview

Pick use my preference and set it to performance and hit apply.

Next step in game video settings advanced in BFV .....

DXR enabled OFF

NVIDIA DLSS OFF

High Dynamic Range OFF

Make sure frame rate limiter is set to 200

future frame rendering- off

vertical sync- off

UI Upscasling AUTO

GPU memory restriction- off

Below set graphics quality to custom

Everything on med or low play with this part below see what works best for you on your rig for FPS ... ......but stuff below do every setting below ,

Mesh Quality is on Ultra or med set what works best with your PC

Antialiasing post processing is on TAA LOW .. keep it on LOW

Ambient Occlusion is OFF.. Keep it OFF

FX amount is on LOW .. keep it on LOW

DXR you cant turn off its on Ultra

Under Basic Video settings do this for settings in BFV

motion blur set to 0
Under video Basic ....
ADS Fild of View - OFF

ADS DOF Effects OFF

Chromatic Aberration OFF

Vignette OFF

Lens Distortion OFF

To see fps in game with no typing do this....

To see FPS in game with out fraps etc:
1- open note pad
2-put this in the note pad.....

perfoverlay.drawfps 1

Perfoverlay.fpsdisplayscale 4 <<< this can change to 3 or 2 or 1 depending how big or small you want it. 4 is large.
3-when you make the user.cfg in notepad,change the file type from text to all. And name it user.cfg
4-Put in .....:\Program Files\Origin Games\Battlefield 5
5-Also close Origin to put cfg in just to be safe :}
6-You will see your FPS in top right of screen when you start BF5

If you still have issues look at a clean boot to help find the program https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows ..

It could also be Armoury Crate making issues and or GForce experience if you have them installed get both OFF your PC both are bad programs / bloat wear and make issues  in BFV sorry to say.

Message 18 of 21 (38,451 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@UoSMeteor I have the same issue here man. But funny thing is im running a i9 9900ks all core turbo 5.0ghz with a 3080 strix, 16gb ram at 2333mhz since I cheaped out on my mobo. Installed on my Samsung m.2, When I first boot the game immediately loading into the UI instantly 2 fps takes about 30 seconds to stabilize to 165hz. When joining game and launching into map about a solid minute for frames to stable at around 120fps - 100fps ultra 1440p but starts rough around 3 - 20 - 44 fps then will finally become stable there after. Even tried knocking my resolution down to 1080p same * don't matter what I do, pretty sure game is just horribly optimized.
I also find it runs a bit more solid with DX12 disabled, but this * is just straight garbage. No way in hell my system should be giving me these issues, Damn near no bottlenecking with this setup as well.
Message 19 of 21 (1,901 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@gigabyte553 The only other possible reason I could think of on my end is the cap OC on my ram as I'm only limited to 2333mhz. If I were to up it to a better performed Z 390 board and jack up the xmp profile it may solve my issue.
Message 20 of 21 (1,895 Views)