Re: Please DICE, No Vehicle Classes (AKA Tanker), (AKA Pilot) Battlefield 2021

by ragnarok013

Original Post

Re: Please No, Vehicle Classes... Battlefield 2021

★★★★★ Expert

@TankerFlanker wrote:

Far more people enjoyed BF3/BF4 even with 'camper taxi's' and I enjoyed killing them with my MAV pushing them off their roof tops. I'm sure many would disagree with you to keep the other classes in the game, it needs to go back to BF3/BF4 style gameplay and forget everything about BFV if they don't want to be on the chopping block.

That may be true although I would argue the numbers, never the less, that doesn't mean that aspects of BF1 and surprisingly, BFV should not be retained.

Yes, I too would prefer a game closer to BF3/4 but I see no harm in retaining Tonkers/Pilots as separate classes. 

Message 71 of 93 (551 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@fisknyllet17 

I myself wouldn't call it arguing, but just having a civil discussion. I think the majority of people online have one-sided (bias) conversations, and are not used to friendly discussions altogether, but still thanks for calling my posts eloquent.

I'm not directly saying "Vehicle Classes" were the issue, I'm just suggesting it contributed to it. "Vehicle Classes" in combination with other core mechanics like Vehicle Animations (entering & exiting), Melee Animations, Revive Down Stance, Restricted Turning Radius of Vehicle Aim, Limited Attachments, Building Tool, Linear Maps (restricted areas), Elite Class Pick-up, Weapon Upgrade tree, 

I'm not trying to sound like I'm labeling anyone, but I'm not even sure everyone even notices these changes, directly. Like for example, I think most coming from Battlefield 4, COD Warzone, PUBG might have a hard time trying to adjust. These players could get mad, impatient and just move back to their previous titles, without ever knowing the real reason why they disliked Battlefield 5.

I get some could take my posts in the wrong way, It's the internet, of course some will misinterpreted it, That's why I keep giving my opinions on the subject, just in a different point of view. I would like to point out, if I didn't like the series, I wouldn't be here talking about it.

Message 72 of 93 (548 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@Trokey66 

@Trokey66 wrote:

I believe he is equating lack of total sandbox freedom with 'vehicle classes' in BF1/V, when it is 'Historical restrictions' that apply to those games rather than classes in this sense.

As far as I am aware Battlefield has NEVER had the total freedom he desires.

@ragnarok013 Mythbusters proved you could actually polish a poo.... 😜 

Sorry if I confused you, but my discussion about "Vehicle Classes" is about the limitations it adds.

Slow Animations (entering & exiting).
Restrictive Weapon Access (exited vehicle).

In my opinion vehicles are a very big distinction between other first person shooters, and play a big role in non infantry game types. So these changes directly affect the outcome, even though they seem small.

By the words "Affecting" I'm suggesting two things. One being people with low patience might get frustrated. Two, it slows vehicle combat.

This freedom I type about would be Battlefield 4. It doesn't have these same restrictions.

Also, you quoted the wrong person on the polish thing, I made the comment. I watched the video. I'll still use it as a reference. I use it a lot with bad mixings and/ or people using poor audio samples.

Message 73 of 93 (543 Views)

★★ Guide

@Popa2caps Mate, the word "argue" for me hasn't got negative connotations. If you take part of a civil discussion and make a point then in my world you're arguing. In a civil manner, of course.

I'll edit my post later when I'm not at work.

Message 74 of 93 (540 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@ragnarok013 

This is more or less exactly what I'm suggesting, and I'm not sure most people even notice these small changes, 2 seconds here, 4 seconds here, it adds up.

I totally understand (some) people don't like others using vehicles to reach specific locations, but that's part of the experience in my opinion. By DICE adding vehicles classes it took away a core experience I played the series for.

Started playing the series with Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for the original Xbox. If that title had the same limitations as Battlefield 5, I would have given up and never looked back.

I worry that this next game will just be Battlefield 5, with a modern art style.

Message 75 of 93 (543 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@fisknyllet17 

Yes, my bad. I read it the angrily way, and not the basic argument of a topic etc. Sorry about that.

Message 76 of 93 (542 Views)

@TTZ_Dipsy wrote:

@ragnarok013 

Assuming BF6 will take a more modern/futuristic route, I can see soldiers having a little more at their disposal, but I just don't think you should have too much if you decide to bail as a driver.

It costs a ticket but I'd much rather someone "goes down with their ship" because "why not, they'd just die outside anyway", than somebody who just bails at the first sign of damage because they have a plethora of weapons to use and then an enemy gets a free tank.

I don't think it would matter as much if you were forced to repair from the outside - regardless of loadout you'd be exposed

@TTZ_Dipsy 'eh with me I'll always err on the side of giving more freedom to the players than less in a sandbox game.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 77 of 93 (529 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Popa2caps wrote:

@Trokey66 

@Trokey66 wrote:

I believe he is equating lack of total sandbox freedom with 'vehicle classes' in BF1/V, when it is 'Historical restrictions' that apply to those games rather than classes in this sense.

As far as I am aware Battlefield has NEVER had the total freedom he desires.

@ragnarok013 Mythbusters proved you could actually polish a poo.... 😜 

Sorry if I confused you, but my discussion about "Vehicle Classes" is about the limitations it adds.

Slow Animations (entering & exiting).
Restrictive Weapon Access (exited vehicle).

In my opinion vehicles are a very big distinction between other first person shooters, and play a big role in non infantry game types. So these changes directly affect the outcome, even though they seem small.

By the words "Affecting" I'm suggesting two things. One being people with low patience might get frustrated. Two, it slows vehicle combat.

This freedom I type about would be Battlefield 4. It doesn't have these same restrictions.

Also, you quoted the wrong person on the polish thing, I made the comment. I watched the video. I'll still use it as a reference. I use it a lot with bad mixings and/ or people using poor audio samples.

Animations are not a direct result of 'vehicle classes' alone and restricting their weapon choice has been discussed at no end. 

Message 78 of 93 (519 Views)

★ Pro

@Popa2caps wrote:

@WebsterHelios 

What balance, honestly? I don't have any friends currently playing Battlefield1, 5. If this balance is to keep people from playing Battlefield 1, 5, it's working.

Being 100% honest, direct, not mean and/ or biased in any way. Battlefield 4 was fun for me because.

1. No animations entering & exiting vehicles (lets players move quickly).
2. Tons of weapons and gadgets in each class, plus universal items not limited to any one specific class.
3. No class pick-up (elite classes)
4. No animation weapons
5. Tons of vehicles
6. No vehicle specific classes (means if you have to leave your vehicle, you're not wasting time till you die!).
7. Maps are not pre destroyed (good amount of buildings to blow up).
8. No history theme (nothing pre-loading me into a game).
9. Quick menu screen that doesn't look like it was designed for tablets (2016 update killed this).10. Classes felt fine ( even though I dislike classes, this game was perfectly fine).
11. Somewhat quick loading for the hardware (PS4 / Xbox One - I owned both).
12. quick deaths with no down animation.

Every "No" in the above list means BF1 and/ or BF5 has it. One limitation here, one over here starts to add up very quickly.

If we had you no classes this leads to the best weapon, best gadget or best vehicle.  That gets boring quickly for some when you face the same AR, AT launcher with ammo everywhere. 

Why have factions?  Then we could just have team red and blue.

BF games have been based in reality this include uniforms, weapons, gadgets and vehicles, even classes are based on military units.  A military combat drivers does not have the same kit as recon marine.

We are not saying BF needs to be real life.  We are saying it should be it's base and if some balancing method use IRL things so be it. 

This includes animation people want to track others not have them magical disappear or appear before their eyes.  This has even changed how spawn in happens.  

Pickup weapons yep we would never need if you have a single super class any way.  

Message 79 of 93 (517 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@DingoKillr 

Let's just agree to disagree. There is nothing wrong with difference of opinions. I take it you want a military style first person tactical shooter, and I want a run and gun, blow everything up first person shooter.

I also disagree with your opinion on realism in Battlefield. In my eyes, Battlefield is a super casual first person shooter. Everytime I see a Battlefield clip on YouTube, I can't help but notice the icons above everyone's head. I'm unable to perceive Battlefield as a military tactical shooter, like Squad and/ or Arma etc. I honestly think Players Unknown BattleGrounds (PUBG) is more realistic than Battlefield has ever been.

I want the "Only In Battlefield Moments" style back myself. Killing people with a MRV and/ or Wall-E, USAS W/ Frag rounds, Jet to jet transfers without all the limitations while doing it. animations, weapons locked to specific classes etc  

Reminiscing, but I still remember in the Battlefield 3 (beta) you could place C4, Ammo and Health packs on a Wall-E. So my friends and I would put C4 then an ammo or health pack on top. Drive to the enemy side (Rush - Operation Métro), Let them take for a bit, then explode the C4. The unlimited landmines you could place on the map, before DICE patched it, "Kharg Island" was just one big landmine on rush.

Whatever gets the series back to that style, I'm all for it.

Classes worked back then, so they could work now. The reason why I'm so adamant about classes is the fact that the world didn't have COD Warzone around with 100,000,000 people playing every month (Yes, the numbers were correct).

I'm honestly unsure if an old style Battlefield with classes would even work to cut into that market. Most might think it's just because it's a Battle Royale, I beg to differ. I think some people play Battle Royalties because of the hands off approach, because I know I do.

I also understand that Battle Royale and your normal Battlefield Conquest are two very different things, but the majority of the players who will be playing this upcoming battlefield won't see it that way. Your common everyday casual first person shooter gamer just wants to go, get things done. Stop the boring and just do it. Some might dislike this type of gameplay, but remember video games are a for-profit business and EA wants a cut of that COD money.

Sorry for the wall of text.

A little off-topic, but what do you mean by "We" in " We are not saying BF needs to be real life ".

Message 80 of 93 (494 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help