Re: HIGH PING TO LOCAL EUROPEAN SERVERS

by OskooI_007

Original Post

High Ping to Local European Servers

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hello,

I live in Belgium and my Ping to german Battlefield servers used to be 33 ms for the last year, which I was very happy with. 

My ping to is now 166 ms to german battlefield servers for a few weeks, which is unplayable. Also using gameserverping.com the same is true for other games: e.g. Fortnite frankfurt server: 153 ms, Counterstrike Luxemburg server 171 ms. I even have beter ping to US east servers now (around 93 ms) (see attachment).

The problem seems to be my internet. If I run the gameserverping.com test from another laptop or my phone both using wifi, the ping results are the same (160 ms). If run gameserverping.com using my phone on 4G than the results are good for frankfurt servers around 40-50ms.

A speedtest with my local internet provider in Brussels is very good: 9 ms, 91 Mbps. I have also checked my modem, my router, my cable, my ethernet adapter driver, everything seems to be OK. I have also called my ISP but they couldn't do anything.

I can't wrap my head around this. How can I have better ping to US servers than the local frankfurt servers?   Anybody any ideas how I can fix this? 

Thank you!

[Edit: All caps removed from title - ElliotLH]

Message 1 of 18 (4,316 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Try running a traceroute from your laptop.

- Download PingPlotter

https://www.pingplotter.com/download

- Open Battlefield game and connect to a server

- Open Resource Monitor - press windows key then type resource monitor

- Go to Networking tab in resource monitor

- Sort by 'Send B/sec'

- Look for 'Compute.AmazonAWS.com address'

- Press ctrl+c to copy address from resource monitor

- Press ctrl+p to paste address into notepad

- Copy IP address from notepad to PingPlotter

- Run traceroute to Battlefield server IP with PingPlotter

- Right click on top column bar in PingPlotter to enable more log options like packet loss %

bf1 traceroute1.png

bf1 traceroute2.png

Once you have a traceroute with PingPlotter, make a screenshot of it and send a copy to your Internet Service Provider and complain about their high ping route to the Battlefield servers hosted on Amazon AWS.

Message 2 of 18 (4,297 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

High Ping to Amazon AWS servers.JPGOh Thank you for the detailed and fast response. I tried what you suggested (see attachment). Ping to Amazon AWS is 167 ms with 25 hops... seems like a lot of hops to make.

I'll try and complain to my ISP and hope they can fix this!

So many thanks for helping with this problem.

Message 3 of 18 (4,278 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The ISP changed my modem and now I got 19ms ping (before 160 ms). So it was not the routing, but changing the modem seemed to fix the issue.

Thanks for the help!

ping fixed.JPG

Message 4 of 18 (4,140 Views)

★★★★ Novice
After 10 days the problem is back... back to 160 ms PING. I had a fight with my ISP, as they blaimed it on "busy" gameservers... I have no reasonable hypothesis for this issue.

Everything worked fine for over a year. Then suddenly beginning of may 160 ms ping. 2 Weeks ago they changed my modem, and back to 19 ms, only after 10 days it's back to 160 ms. The ISP won't help me anymore, I have no idea what I can do or what the problem can be. Anybody any idea to help? I would appreciate it very much!
Message 5 of 18 (3,892 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Do you have a ping plotter trace route from the days your ping went back to 19ms? It's definitely a routing issue causing the problem.

Ping is fine until hop #8 10.246.114.11 which is a private router inside your ISP's network. From there we can't tell where the connection is being routed because the routers stop responding. All we can see is the Amazon game server router responding at the very end hop.

So between 10.246 114.11 and Amazon's router is where the routing problem is.

Most likely your ISP is choosing a slower route because it saves them money. If your ISP refuses to help, then your only option is to try a VPN service which might offer faster routing. Or change ISP if that is an option.

Message 6 of 18 (3,849 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello @Eristus ,

I have the exact same issue since a couple of months ago and I couldn't find anything online.

Previously I had ~20ms on EU servers.

I'm also in Brussels using Scarlet. I have contacted them but didn't help at all...

I have the same 160ms on German servers and around 100 to NA.

Are you also using Scarlet/Proximus?

Message 7 of 18 (3,766 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi Atsoubi, Yes I am also using Scarlet ISP. Very frustrating problem! Given you experience the same issue, it is probably routing related (as described by oskool above). Let me know if you find a solution!

Message 8 of 18 (3,758 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @OskooI_007

Huge kudos to you for writing this post! Very detailed instructions on how to improve your ping to the servers and it gives players some good information as to what they have to ask their ISP's. 

EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 9 of 18 (3,685 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @Eristus and @atsoubi ,

One of my lines is with Belgacom and right now I have a 19ms ping when testing to your listed Amazon server...

So your issue appear to be connected with Scarlet and how they route your traffic.

Message 10 of 18 (3,648 Views)