Re: EA and FIFA break up (30 years), is Battlefield next?

by Dedzigs

Original Post

Accepted Solution

EA and FIFA break up (30 years), is Battlefield next?

★★★★ Pro

Is Battlefield next? what's your thoughts? personally I think EA should give the rights to somebody who knows how to make a proper game. Or at least get some old DICE developers back, so they can fix this mess.

FIFA.png

EA and FIFA officially end their partnership FIFA will now be called EA SPORTS FC "Next year, EA SPORTS FC will become the future of football from EA SPORTS."

https://www.ea.com/news/ea-sports-fc

FIFA.png

Next year’s FIFA won’t be called FIFA anymore, EA announced Tuesday. The mega sports franchise is parting ways with soccer’s international governing body and will be renamed EA Sports FC, but EA promises nothing else will change.

https://kotaku.com/fifa-soccer-ea-games-sports-fc-franchise-pro-evolution-1848905860 

FIFA2.png

Message 1 of 10 (3,523 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hey @Dedzigs just so you are aware, EA doesn't license the Battlefield name. EA owns it and it would not be possible for anyone else to make a Battlefield game.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 10 (3,458 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @Dedzigs just so you are aware, EA doesn't license the Battlefield name. EA owns it and it would not be possible for anyone else to make a Battlefield game.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 10 (3,459 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@EA_Darko Interesting, and okay. 🙂
Message 3 of 10 (3,436 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Well i stopped buying Battlefield games because of BF2042.

I think i will stop buying FIFA games too. As far as I know, EA wanted to bring weird and meaningless game modes to FIFA (more than 11 vs 11 players) which is an abomination for a football game but FIFA didnt allowed it. Think now if FIFA will not be present anymore, EA SPORTS SOCCER or whatever they will be called, will bring the abominations that Andrew Wilson dreams of at night. 

Message 4 of 10 (3,298 Views)

★ Apprentice

I stopped buying because of bf5, one step ahead.

Message 5 of 10 (3,195 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
It will not happen like FIFA as it's not an external license, but do I see them giving up on BF after 2042's failure? Absolutely, Hardline was a flop, 5 was a flop, 2042 even bigger failure. Rumors already saying there's barely a team working on 2042, they're just working on the bare minimum amount of content promised in the overpriced editions so they don't get sued. Apparently a Diablo Immoral style game is in the works as well which either takes off among "not the classic Battlefield audience" or will be a complete failure and I could totally see if after that point they'll just say it's not worth trying, EA has a history of destroying studios and IPs.
Message 6 of 10 (2,914 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@Dedzigs @EA_Darko  Honestly,

That sucks. I will still buy FIFA 23 but will be the last one. I think that FIFA brings authenticity to the game, but losing this license will definitely turn many people away from EA SPORT FC or whatever it will be called (including myself ) .

As for Battlefield, things are even worse. They started to cartoonize the characters, very large maps, OP vehicles and the balance between infantry and vehicles is practically non-existent. The last good Battlefield I played was BF Hardline because it was very similar to BF4. I think I will switch to COD soon.

Kindly,

Message 7 of 10 (2,322 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Zzeldariann wrote:

@Dedzigs @EA_Darko  Honestly,

That sucks. I will still buy FIFA 23 but will be the last one. I think that FIFA brings authenticity to the game, but losing this license will definitely turn many people away from EA SPORT FC or whatever it will be called (including myself ) .

As for Battlefield, things are even worse. They started to cartoonize the characters, very large maps, OP vehicles and the balance between infantry and vehicles is practically non-existent. The last good Battlefield I played was BF Hardline because it was very similar to BF4. I think I will switch to COD soon.

Kindly,

You are right @Zzeldariann ,

When FIFA no longer want to be associated with EA's soccer game, then EA also looses the right to utilize the FIFA branding in their related games. 

Likewise, expect also limitations or maybe even prohibition for EA to use team and player names from the real FIFA world, as the players and their clubs have professional and paid contract terms on the allegiance to the FIFA organization and their marketing rights world wide.  

And this is probably the most damaging effect on EA's prospect for their soccer gaming world now after the break from FIFA.

"Battlefield" however is the brand name for their military FPS shooter game, which EA owns all rights to, through their original acquisition of the DICE company.  DICE was the 'inventor' of that game and sole owner of the associated brand, which they also trademarked worldwide to protect it.  DICE was founded in 1992 and has been a subsidiary of Electronic Arts since 2006.

Message 8 of 10 (2,253 Views)

★ Guide

...or, using a different wording Party hat

- EA Sports FC will still be the same game, just not using the FIFA name or any real-world club and player names.

vs.

- There will be new games using the Battlefield tag, but the content, gameplay and presentation won't fit the former Battlefield formula

Message 9 of 10 (2,243 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @FettenDiddi and others, just to note, EA Sports FC will be using real name club and player namers and likenesses: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/news/ea-sports-fc

Everything you love about our games will be part of EA SPORTS FC – the same great experiences, modes, leagues, tournaments, clubs and athletes will be there. Ultimate Team, Career Mode, Pro Clubs and VOLTA Football will all be there. Our unique licensing portfolio of more than 19,000+ players, 700+ teams, 100+ stadiums and 30 leagues that we’ve continued to invest in for decades will still be there, uniquely in EA SPORTS FC. That includes exclusive partnerships with the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, the MLS – and more to come.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 10 of 10 (2,009 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help