BATTLEFIELD 6 Should Include Servers Without Aim Assist (Hardcore / Normal)

by Popa2caps

Original Post

BATTLEFIELD 6 Should Include Servers Without Aim Assist (Hardcore / Normal)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

I've been playing Battlefield 4 this last week. I've had some good times, but the same thing keeps catching my eye, "Aim Assist". In most all games it's just a massive lock on to target (infantry combat) no matter the position.

For example, A cloud of smoke in front of your vision? Aim assist doesn't care. What about those pesky bushes DICE seems so well on placing around the maps, Aim Assist has your back.

Tested Battlefield 4, Hardline, 1, 5 on Xbox Series X with a Razer Wolverine Ultimate controller. ATM just playing Battlefield 4.

To the people who say it's not that big of deal, play a game with both turned off in infantry combat only. You have to try to shoot people. Not just lock, look around, read a book while shooting. I know, I also play with it off. The issue I have is getting lasered from some new player, just because their script is tracking me.

Another direct issue that ties into aim assist is people using those 3rd party devices to make it even worse than it is. In case people are unaware, there are devices on the market for consoles and personal computers that allow the user to macro / scripts to reduce recoil and/ or have the device keep macroing ADS (aim down sight).

So for example if a user has said device and sets it up for ADS spam, the device will micro spam ADS (aim down sights) over and over faster than you could ever do. Why would someone want to do this? To increase the chances of aim assist to keep locking on during a fight.

There are many versions of aim assistance, Battlefield 4 for example has ADS (aim down sight ) lock onto which means the users crosshairs will travel to the enemy on screen. Plus it has another aim assistance called aim slowdown, which slows down your sensitivity in / out of ADS (aim down sights).

To the people who think these 3rd party devices like cronus-max / zen are rare, take a look at their social media profiles. They sold out of their first devices in 3 months, that was 250K units in 2019. There are millions of the devices being used now. They sold out of ZEN in a week.

With how popular COD Warzone is, plus with the numbers of the devices floating about, expect this next Battlefield to have some issues.

I'm asking for a compromise from EA DICE for this upcoming Battlefield. Just have servers without aim assist, and I'll be perfectly fine.  

Message 1 of 27 (3,358 Views)

Re: Battlefield Aim Assist Discussion

Outright removing it would be a bad move imo - I agree it needs to be toned down but believe it would be better to do incrementally over time.

Some players with special needs/lower skill/who are strictly casual, whatever the reason, might require at least some assist to play too; I hope everyone can eventually find middle ground on the subject

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 2 of 27 (3,336 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@Popa2caps
I'd say aim assist is a must for console players when it comes to cross play, otherwise you're going to have a seriously hard time against PC players using KB/m.

It works pretty well in Warzone and keeps things fairly even vs PC players.
Message 3 of 27 (3,277 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@CarbonCarl 
I don't expect Battlefield to have cross-play with PC launch. Battlefield has the worst (I do mean the worst) track record with cheaters. (Don't take my word for it, go look on this forum in the Battlefield section/s. A common theme of, Cheaters, Hackers, aimbots etc with each of the threads locked).

It's not just an issue with Battlefield on PC, it's a plague. Warzone might have cross-play between consoles and PC, but remember that the game has mouse & keyboard support for both consoles natively (meaning users can at will plug in a mouse & keyboard). COD Warzone also has cheater issues, and players are able to directly disable cross-play (works on both consoles perfectly fine).

Aim assist is a marketing tool, used by video game companies to make their player base feel more confident in themselves so they get more dopamine kicks. The more kicks, the more willing those users will spend cash on your product. The core concept of first person shooters is shooting. So if the game is 80% shooting and the aim assist script does something like 50% of the fine aim, what exactly is the user doing? Not learning how to handle recoil, not understanding the weapons, just pointing and clicking some triggers, what fun is that?

I might be a controller user, but I side with mouse & keyboard users on this subject. Aim assist shouldn't work at least on players that have it disabled or can't activate it.
Message 4 of 27 (3,268 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@Popa2caps
I may be getting a little confused here. When I say aim assist is a must I mean purely for those on console using a controller, because controllers are just not good enough on their own.

Aim assist for KB/m? Hell no! That shouldn’t exist.

As for cheats, I’ve encountered plenty in both games and had great games in both too.

Message 5 of 27 (3,262 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@CarbonCarl 

My bad I must have confused you with my last post, truly sorry about that. When I stated "I might be a controller user, but I side with mouse & keyboard users on this subject. Aim assist shouldn't work at least on players that have it disabled or can't activate it." I was simply suggesting that aim assist shouldn't affect users who (A) Have it disabled and/ or Beer Those who can't activate it.
(A) Would be users who choose to disable it like controller users (I know people who disable aim assist even though they have access to it to grow dexterity, myself included).
Beer Would be users who don't have access to it like mouse users (because they simply don't get aim assist).

In my opinion, aim assist is not at all needed for online (competitive) video games. Yes even for controllers users going up against mouse users, I still think it's not needed. I believe in the notion that people get better with 
repetition, Mostly because I've learned hand and eye coordination from playing 20+ years of piano. Mouse & keyboard in my opinion is very overrated. I understand that each gets its own benefits, but this myth that mouse & keyboard users are just automatically better because they have access to more buttons needs to stop. That's like saying someone that picks up a cello should be able to play songs from Bach... Just because someone has access doesn't mean that user will use it to its fullest. Just look at people with access to the internet and we still have people who think the world is flat...

Now I do understand some might need accessibility needs, but other then that, it shouldn't be given to just everyone. Players should be able at any time to enjoy and play how they wish, just as long as it doesn't affect those around them. Aim assist works by helping one and hurting another. 
I don't mean to get off topic, but these two issues are intertwined. On a controller users point of view they could be worried about not having aim assist, but then on PC's they could be worried by the direct opposite by playing against someone who has aim assist. Trying to justify the use of aim assist because someone else might have more access because of their chosen input device seems very odd. This topic is what I call a snowball effect. At some point some game company just automatically assumed aim assist was necessary for controllers, then everyone followed.

I'm at the point where I simply can't enjoy video games on console because companies just add massive aim assists. The whole time companies could have been innovating with new more exciting controller settings, they just loaded over with mindless amounts of aim assist to hide the fact they have't been doing anything. Why is it that controllers just started getting deadzone, curves, aim acceleration controls in the last 6 years (mostly)? Resolution started going up. the more detail, the more fine aim the user needs. I like to think that if aim assist was removed, people would start asking for more innovation in their controllers. Controllers use .40 cent (USD) analog sticks at best, I would think companies would be forced to start to add better hardware once people took notice.

Removing aim assist doesn't remove skill, it lets players learn to be better.

Cheating issues (my opinion) in EA titles.

I played 1500+ hours in Apex Legends PC, PUBG PC, Battlefield PC (not much time) 
I know how to spot cheaters, I just know what to look for. I've sent in 200+ videos in Apex Legends alone. I get that some might not even notice it, but it's VERY common on PC for EA titles. That is not an understatement. Some might think I'm simply embellishing it, I'm just stating my experience. EA PC titles is notorious for cheaters, especially Battlefield.

Why is it true that COD Warzone does have cross-play between consoles and personal computers, don't forget it's input device cross-play (adaptive). If you're playing with a controller you're most likely going against other players with a controller and so on. Unless DICE and all the companies working on Battlefield 6 are also making an anti cheat system and/ or input device recognition, I can safely assume Battlefield 6 won't have PC cross-play (forced) at launch. Sure, you might be able to play with PC players on consoles, but I expect it to be more like Apex Legends then COD Warzone.

Please stop the myth that controllers need aim assist vs mouse & keyboard players. Like I said above, there are benefits to each, but it's all determined by how much personal practice each has.

Message 6 of 27 (3,244 Views)

Re: Battlefield 6 Shouldn't Have Aim Assist!

★★★★★ Apprentice

I agree, it should not include aim assist. Just do not have crossplay with PC and then there is no reason for it. Is it tougher? Sure , its more realistic. Which is what BF is supposed to be about . Those who say they should not remove it just think they need that crutch but i bet they would find out its so much more fun without it . 

Message 7 of 27 (3,157 Views)

@Popa2caps wrote:

I don't think Battlefield 6 should have aim assist. I believe it should have advanced controls like curves, deadzone, aim acceleration, and more, but not have a backend script always helping the player aim.

@Popa2caps it sounds like you should move to PC.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 8 of 27 (3,091 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Hello, @ragnarok013  thanks for taking the time to read my discussion. I'm a little confused by your reply, could you elaborate a little more?

Message 9 of 27 (3,076 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Oof!!! I hope there won't be mandatory cross-play. I saw games die, because aim assist, people having essentially aimbot... Stop trying to make changes for bad players. It will ruin game for everyone else and people will hate it... It is okay, if you are not good. Maybe FPS is not for you... It doesn't make sense to artificially help some group of players... What this will do, it will ruin the game... People already hated BF1 for making it like Battlefront... Your fans like sandbox and military simulation/fps. Don't simplify game, because some noobie can't get more than 3 kills...

Hope there will be opt-out of crossplay, otherwise I won't even bother...

Message 10 of 27 (3,056 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help