Re: BF 2142

by CarbonCarl

Original Post

BF 2142

★ Guide

Why hasn’t this game been put on EA Play yet? 

Message 1 of 18 (1,896 Views)

★★★ Expert

Because its a masterpiece. 

Message 2 of 18 (1,876 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

The best, most simple answer is probably GAMESPY! Gamespy folded in 2014 which killed its intergrated networking for multiplayer games like 2142. This was a part time and may be a title and time EA would rather fans forget.

I am not a insider and this answer is mostlly speculative. Battlefield 2142 was my fvorite version in the franchise for ages and it brought many new ideas and options common now. Some good some bad both stayed. Unfortunately it had some challenges that were not addressed until it was far too late and eventually many people were disappointed.  I still consider it an important shift towards more complex options and dynamic scenartios.  The futuristic setting led to a focus on urban armored warfare with accompanying gadgets. It was also really pushing 32 vs 32 player battles on onboard massive ships called Titans. When it all worked it was amazing but it got more popular servers srated crashing and it was really spammy and terrible for a while. BUt they over=promised and under-delivered which is a popular critique.

It was the first major launch for DICE after being acquired by EA and the landscape of gaming online looked very different then. PC and console games mostly relied on in-house networking3 with no integration. There were some early apps like All-Seeing-Eye that not only worked to find people you knew and helped you join them but it was a slow process. Gamespy was not the best app but it had financial strength to buy other apps like Roget Wilco. Gamespy eventually became the default network indexor listing.  This was the "old way" the industry did things by leaving choices to programmers or people without fan interaction that help serve the opeople who played the games and compainies like Valve were now paying attention.  EA has always been lagging behind here and BFV/BF1 are both left wanting here.

Gamers wanted more and better options by 2006 to be able to meet and play together. I think indie mod teams rule here and are more responsible for what FPS game play like today that what a publishing company is willing to bugget for during the thick of a new game, servers and how they work together.  Major publishers and developers including Valve and have typically aded more features in a more responsive and less predictive fashion. Making an effort to fix a game and just making it look like you are trying to fix it are two different budgets. The dark side of 2142 is that it really seemed to deliever a AAA multiplayer game with serious issues online that were not being fixed. When several expansions were also shipped later with little in the way of product improvememt people  (especiallly me) started calling out these new unlocks systems and perpetuall expansion releasesthat seemed to overlap with things  like the console version of BF2 now on consoles.  

So yes today you can play 2142. Not sure where you buy it but here is where to get the patches and how to make it work: Not sure what servers are like or when I may choose to try it. But at one poiint 2142 really seemed like DICE wanted to push boundaries. I think they still can and do which is why I am a fan, just a somber one. Money is precious now. I am not throwing money at a new game. I didn't even have a system that could play BFV or BF1 well enough until I found a used r9 290 last summer

https://battlefield2142.co/

I downloaded everything but not sure when to replay it. I really want to do it but I dont want to hate it either. I was nostalgic but now I just see the fact the community essentially kept this game alive with little or no thanks from EA despite shipping a flawed game that need more testing and it bugs me atthe attitude EA takes with its fans Yes it has always been a divided audience and there has always been persistent critique by ardent fans who want better.  

I am back to being a cautious fan boy who doesn't pre-order and I might even choose to wait for a GOTY edition with all DLC at a great price. The sad truth is even after 15 years the 2142 release is why I dont trust the game release date/patch promise/ or dlc content business models. I will believe when I see it and buy it when it is working as intended.

Message 3 of 18 (1,834 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

Would love for EA to put in the effort to support the older games multiplayers. I was playing BF1942 right up until the servers were shut down.

Message 4 of 18 (1,817 Views)

★ Guide

@lightz0ut wrote:

The best, most simple answer is probably GAMESPY! Gamespy folded in 2014 which killed its intergrated networking for multiplayer games like 2142. This was a part time and may be a title and time EA would rather fans forget.

I am not a insider and this answer is mostlly speculative. Battlefield 2142 was my fvorite version in the franchise for ages and it brought many new ideas and options common now. Some good some bad both stayed. Unfortunately it had some challenges that were not addressed until it was far too late and eventually many people were disappointed.  I still consider it an important shift towards more complex options and dynamic scenartios.  The futuristic setting led to a focus on urban armored warfare with accompanying gadgets. It was also really pushing 32 vs 32 player battles on onboard massive ships called Titans. When it all worked it was amazing but it got more popular servers srated crashing and it was really spammy and terrible for a while. BUt they over=promised and under-delivered which is a popular critique.

It was the first major launch for DICE after being acquired by EA and the landscape of gaming online looked very different then. PC and console games mostly relied on in-house networking3 with no integration. There were some early apps like All-Seeing-Eye that not only worked to find people you knew and helped you join them but it was a slow process. Gamespy was not the best app but it had financial strength to buy other apps like Roget Wilco. Gamespy eventually became the default network indexor listing.  This was the "old way" the industry did things by leaving choices to programmers or people without fan interaction that help serve the opeople who played the games and compainies like Valve were now paying attention.  EA has always been lagging behind here and BFV/BF1 are both left wanting here.

Gamers wanted more and better options by 2006 to be able to meet and play together. I think indie mod teams rule here and are more responsible for what FPS game play like today that what a publishing company is willing to bugget for during the thick of a new game, servers and how they work together.  Major publishers and developers including Valve and have typically aded more features in a more responsive and less predictive fashion. Making an effort to fix a game and just making it look like you are trying to fix it are two different budgets. The dark side of 2142 is that it really seemed to deliever a AAA multiplayer game with serious issues online that were not being fixed. When several expansions were also shipped later with little in the way of product improvememt people  (especiallly me) started calling out these new unlocks systems and perpetuall expansion releasesthat seemed to overlap with things  like the console version of BF2 now on consoles.  

So yes today you can play 2142. Not sure where you buy it but here is where to get the patches and how to make it work: Not sure what servers are like or when I may choose to try it. But at one poiint 2142 really seemed like DICE wanted to push boundaries. I think they still can and do which is why I am a fan, just a somber one. Money is precious now. I am not throwing money at a new game. I didn't even have a system that could play BFV or BF1 well enough until I found a used r9 290 last summer

https://battlefield2142.co/

I downloaded everything but not sure when to replay it. I really want to do it but I dont want to hate it either. I was nostalgic but now I just see the fact the community essentially kept this game alive with little or no thanks from EA despite shipping a flawed game that need more testing and it bugs me atthe attitude EA takes with its fans Yes it has always been a divided audience and there has always been persistent critique by ardent fans who want better.  

I am back to being a cautious fan boy who doesn't pre-order and I might even choose to wait for a GOTY edition with all DLC at a great price. The sad truth is even after 15 years the 2142 release is why I dont trust the game release date/patch promise/ or dlc content business models. I will believe when I see it and buy it when it is working as intended.

I agree to a point, because they pushed out Hardline… you know the one they made us pay full price for a essentially DLC yet that is on EA play and not 2142. The fact is there is interest there from fans and where there’s interest there’s money and that’s what EA speaks. If they was to remaster 2142 I’d think it’ll sell easily. 

Message 5 of 18 (1,814 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@DeMiGoD1988
Well if they bring something in like a HUB for all Battlefield games then it's possible all games could all come together at some point.
I would love to see a hub with every Battlefield game listed and I don't think I'd be the only one.
Message 6 of 18 (1,772 Views)

@Noodlesocks you can still play them if you use GameRanger. A couple of times per year I still boot up BF2 and play that way. GameRanger basically replaces GameSpy.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 7 of 18 (1,704 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

@ragnarok013 wrote:
@Noodlesocksyou can still play them if you use GameRanger. A couple of times per year I still boot up BF2 and play that way. GameRanger basically replaces GameSpy.

Yeah but I'd prefer official support and something that isn't essentially a virtual LAN.

Message 8 of 18 (1,677 Views)

@Noodlesocks GameSpy was never official in that sense and GameRanger replaces the GameSpy functionality 1:1 so I don't really see the difference between the two experiences when I play. Naturally since most people don't know about GameRanger the player numbers are smaller.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 9 of 18 (1,640 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Battlefield 2142 will never come to EA Play.

Some state GameSpy as the reason why, others will state the age or the mechanics or even the lack of popularity.

It's all of those reasons. 2142 received some decent reception on launch and still survives through fan-operated 

client and server-side modification. The game even is connected (somewhat) to releases such as Battlefield 4 which

to some capacity acknowledge the existence of 2142 (Hangar 21: Titan Prototype & Drop-pod Cannons). The game

is a fairly old title that flies under the radar a lot more frequently than Battlefield Vietnam.

It's gimmicky and only acts as an independent pseudo-expansion of Battlefield 2's mechanics.

The demand to play isn't as large as a game like Battlefield 3, 4 or Hardline and there's a cost involved for EA to even

consider to make a one-time final patch for EA Play to receive 2142 as one of it's many titles, a cost that

financially will not be worth it for a game that will not likely see the returns of that cost for years, maybe even ever.

You might still be able to get Battlefield 2142 Deluxe Edition on Origin as a digital title legitimately.

The method itself isn't possible for everyone and will require an original (not second hand) release copy, proof of original

ownership and contacting EA Support (though this may not work nowadays).

TLDR:

- Game too old

- Financial Risk not worth it

- Demand to Play too low to expect anything more than homages.

- You ,may be able to still get it via Origin legitimately through EA Support, if EA Support does continue the physical to digital transfer

with CD Key + Proof of Physical Disk Ownership.

Message 10 of 18 (1,423 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help