Bad company 2 crash to desktop after splash screen . Any ideas how to fix ?

by desniperlip

Original Post

Bad company 2 crash to desktop after splash screen . Any ideas how to fix ?

★★★★ Novice

I have windows 10 home 64bit.

About 3-4 days ago the same windows version was on my pc and the battlefield bad company 2 was working great over some years.

I decided to re install a new clean windows 10 copy on my C: so I downloaded the Microsoft media creation tool and I did a usb flash drive to be bootable and started installing windows 10 home again.

I deleted C: partition and created a new one formatted it and installed the windows.

The installation went fine no errors or problems.

All updates installed and I installed the latest video card drivers from nvidia site.

Then I downloaded and installed Steam download the battlefield bad company 2 and tried to run it.

I can see the splash screen videos but then just when it try to load the main menu just when the splash screen ended I hear a small sound tick and it's crash back to windows desktop.

For testing I downloaded Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare installed it and I can run it and play it without any problems.

THe problem is seems to be only for battlefield bad company 2.

Tried to google found that there are others with the same problem but not solution.

I'm trying for almost 2-3 days to solve it but no way.

I tried to run the windows on safe mode tried to disable sound drivers tried to disable video drivers tried to install old video drivers.

Tried clean boot tried anything I can think of.

I don't have any software/applications on my pc other then steam and bfbc2. I installed windows 10 new clean today again and installed only steam battlefield bad company 2 and the call of duty 4 modern warfare.

The call of duty is working the bfbc2 not.

Another strange thing is after downloading battlefield bad company 2 it didn't create anywhere on my pc a folder name BFBC2 and not file name settings.ini

I tried it with steam and origin since I have account also in origin and the same problem.

And it's only for battlefield bad company 2.  The fact is that call of duty is working.

Any other ideas what to do ?

A day or two ago I was chatting online with ea tech support he tried to help me but so far not solution.

Message 1 of 14 (9,273 Views)

Re: Bad company 2 crash to desktop after splash screen . Any ideas how to fix ?

★★ Apprentice
i have the same problem with bfbc2 on win10, crash to desktop without any error info...and maybe year ago i was playing it without problems.
Message 2 of 14 (9,185 Views)

Community Manager

@desniperlip 

Were you eventually able to find a fix from your side?

@SchizoBG 

Have you tried re-installing the game or ran it in compatibility mode?

We have a few posts below with workarounds for those also experiencing crashes.

Solution#1

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2/Battlefield-BC-2-crashes-to-the-desktop-without-...

Solution#2

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2-startup-crash/m-p/6122...

Solution#3

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2/Bad-Company-2-Crashes/m-p/362330/highlight/true#...

Blueberry.png
Message 3 of 14 (9,174 Views)

★★ Apprentice

YES i reinstalling the game few times also tried maybe all the compatibilties modes without succes...also repair through origin app.... clean boot... nothing work. And before was fine.

Message 4 of 14 (9,170 Views)

Community Manager

@SchizoBG 

Can you attach your DxDiag for me?

Blueberry.png
Message 5 of 14 (9,165 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I solved it in my side. I was lucky.

The only solution was to install windows 7 first I have windows 7 home premium dvd.

After installing it I upgraded to windows 10.

So it's not a clean windows 10 install but I have now the windows 10 installed like before and bfbc2 is now working.

I tried anything !!!!! Going back to windows 7 and then to windows 10 was the only solution or better to say the only work around solution.

After installing windows 7 I installed the game and it was working fine then I upgraded to windows 10 without deleting my files and it's working.

I still can't say why it's working on windows 7 and now on 10. My guess there are some drivers in windows 7 my hardware was needed maybe since my hardware is old or maybe for some other reason. The fact is that it's working now on windows 10 only after installing first windows 7.

Message 6 of 14 (9,156 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for getting back, @desniperlip!

My guess is that some VC++ package versions were conflicting. I think by reinstalling it from scratch and upgrading they were all aligned properly. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Glad it worked out and hope this helps @SchizoBG out. You may not have to upgrade to Windows 10 but I'd check the VC++ 

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/your-vc-runtime-package-has-not-installed-correctly-err...

Blueberry.png
Message 7 of 14 (9,148 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Here you go mate Standard smile

Message 8 of 14 (9,143 Views)

★★ Apprentice

i'm not going to perform windows reinstallation for sure because i am playing smooth BF1 and BF4. I will try reinstalling VC++ packages because i guess is quite possible this to be my struggle with BFBC2 crash.I was repairing them before but perhaps this was wrong by my side.I will uninstall them then install again. Is there some specific steps when reinstalling them. Please let me know, and thank you for the rtesponse lad.

Message 9 of 14 (9,144 Views)

Community Manager
Message 10 of 14 (9,134 Views)