You need to install or patch the game before playing. wont update

by MXUzi

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You need to install or patch the game before playing. wont update

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

My battlefield wont start and every time i try to click update it simply goes to my library and does nothing and I can no longer start my bf4!

Message 1 of 30 (101,019 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: You need to install or patch the game before playing. wont update

★★★★ Novice

Clicking "Repair install" inside the Origin application worked this time, checked the install and proceceded to download a 618MB update.

Game now works.

Thanks to those that helped!

View in thread

Message 9 of 30 (108,020 Views)

All Replies

Re: YOU NEED TO INSTALL OR PATCH THE GAME BEFORE PLAYING. wont update

★★ Novice

right clicking the bf4 box in the library and repairing got the game updated for me. hope this helps Standard smile just takes a few minutes to do

Message 2 of 30 (100,701 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Hi mxuzi,

Just to confirm, you get this message in Origin or Battlelog? 

Have you used the Check Updates function in Origin? As mentioned by pandadog1147, you can also try the Repair Install, to see if this makes a difference to the issue. 

Thanks 

EAGuy 

---------------
Please make sure to Accept Solutions and give XP when someone has provided you with assistance.

I don't respond to Help Requests sent via Private Message.
Message 3 of 30 (100,691 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@eaguy wrote:

Hi mxuzi,

Just to confirm, you get this message in Origin or Battlelog? 

Have you used the Check Updates function in Origin? As mentioned by pandadog1147, you can also try the Repair Install, to see if this makes a difference to the issue. 

Thanks 

EAGuy 

Installed & played without issue last night, this afternoon I receive::

"YOU NEED TO INSTALL OR PATCH THE GAME BEFORE PLAYING."

& noticed that all Origin settings reverted to their default install settings.

I moved the BF4 folder outside of the Origin installed games directory, reinstalled Origin, placed the BF4 folder back in & still encounter the "INSTALL OR PATCH" error.

Clicking "Repair install" or "Check for update" I receive this error:

Error 131079:6

EDIT: I've contained my issue with more details in a separate  thread :

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Error-131079-6-amp-YOU-NEED-TO-INSTALL-OR-PATCH-THE-GAME-BEFO...

Message 4 of 30 (100,666 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hi i3luehornet,

Try removing the Battlelog Plugin via the steps here and then reinstall it. This may help in resolving the issue 

Please also make sure that you have added Origin & bf4.exe to the exceptions list for your Firewall/Anti-Virus. Some players have found that this can be caused by the game being blocked by Security Software. 

Thanks 

EAGuy 

---------------
Please make sure to Accept Solutions and give XP when someone has provided you with assistance.

I don't respond to Help Requests sent via Private Message.
Message 5 of 30 (100,606 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@eaguy wrote:

Hi i3luehornet,

Try removing the Battlelog Plugin via the steps here and then reinstall it. This may help in resolving the issue 

Please also make sure that you have added Origin & bf4.exe to the exceptions list for your Firewall/Anti-Virus. Some players have found that this can be caused by the game being blocked by Security Software. 

Thanks 

EAGuy 

Thank you for the reply,

I followed the steps to uninstall & reinstall the plugin to no avail.

I added the Origin & Origin Games folders both to my Firewall & AV exceptions list.

I uninstalled Origin again & reinstalled, added the BF4 game folder back using this method:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1222388/guide-moving-reinstalling-origin-and-games-without-re-downloading

The game then downloaded a 68MB or so update.

I tried once more to launch Battlelog and join a MP server & have been stuck in a loop of "Game update available" & "YOU NEED TO INSTALL OR PATCH THE GAME BEFORE PLAYING." Battlelog messages.

Clicking "Check for updates" or "Repair install" returns:

• An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again in a few moments. Error 131079:6 

I have rebooted my system as well.

Still unable to play despite playing the game fine for several hours just last night.

EDIT: I have redownloaded the entire BF4 installation package & still encounter the same error.

Message 6 of 30 (100,539 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had the same problem, but now i can play. I tried all the different browsers. Last night Crome worked. Today only Firefox. Strange... So download all the browsers and try, probebly one will work.

Message 7 of 30 (100,108 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have tried Chrome, Firefox, Ineternet Explorer, & Opera & all have the same issue.

Thanks though.

Message 8 of 30 (99,998 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Clicking "Repair install" inside the Origin application worked this time, checked the install and proceceded to download a 618MB update.

Game now works.

Thanks to those that helped!

Message 9 of 30 (108,021 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This worked for me ty! go origin right click bf4 icon repair takes like 10-15 min depending connection and computer.

Message 10 of 30 (98,559 Views)