Re: [Xbox One] Lag Since Approx. December Update

by Woodlands03

Original Post

[Xbox One] Lag Since Approx. December Update

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi,

I've researched other threads, but I haven't seen any recent ones about this. 

Ever since the "server tick" update / "lag compensation averaging" update was released for the Xbox One, the game has been nearly unplayable for me and my friends in the same geographic region. Quite often hits are not registered, the game "pops" around when I move and I have had RPG hits on a tank which result in no damage.

I have also tried turning off and on the bandwidth compression in the Advanced Settings menu as well. Disabling bandwidth compression made the game extremely unreliable.

Inside a BF4 game, my ping usually sits around 40-80ms.

My internet connection is rated as 100mbps, and, on SpeedTest.net, my results are:

Ping: 2ms

Download: 104.94mbps

Upload: 28.81mbps

My Xbox One is connected via a wired connection to a gigabit switch / router. NAT type is open. 

Unfortunately, EA has decided that individuals are no longer allowed to host their own Battlefield servers, otherwise I'd rent some local rack space and host my own. I don't suppose this would be an option? (Is there a process in which I could apply to be a server administrator?) 

Is there any plan to address these lag compensation issues? It feels like high-latency players are now at a large advantage over low-latency players, which doesn't make much sense for a client - server application like Battlefield. 

I look forward to any responses.

Best regards. 

Message 1 of 3 (355 Views)

★★★ Newbie
It's possible that you're getting unlucky and some of the servers that you're connecting to don't have good connection.

Also, make sure the servers that you're on are in the same region as you (e.g. Europe, W. US, E. US)
Message 2 of 3 (279 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

That is part of the problem. I am located in Canada and the closest region is US West. Even in the best case scenario, my ping is about ~50ms in game. 

It is hard to upgrade my internet connection beyond a fiber line with a 2ms ping to a local speed test server. My ping time to Google via IPv4 is ~1.7ms and via IPv6 is ~19.7ms (my ISP has some routing efficiency to improve.)

I am using an enterprise grade router and switch at home and there is nothing more I can do on my local setup.

The best fix for players in our region and most other "out of region" zones would be for EA to allow users to provide their own dedicated servers. I could then rent rack space in a local facility and run it on an symmetric fiber connection from a data center. Ping times for local players would then be as small as possible, or, at least, as optimal as the local ISP routing tables allow.

EA, would you be willing to consider allowing users to host their own servers again? If not for BF4, then, for BF5? Is there a place where users can formally request features like this? 

Message 3 of 3 (255 Views)