Will Battlefield 4 require a web browser plugin to launch like Battlefield 3?

by johncuyle

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Will Battlefield 4 require a web browser plugin to launch like Battlefield 3?

★★ Novice

I bought Battlefield 3 and was surprised and disappointed that the game itself was incomplete.  Apparently they didn't finish all of the menus and you need to launch the game from a website for some reason, and it requires a browser plugin.  Will Battlefield 4 actually have all of the necessary menus completed and in game, or is it going to use a web browser and require a plugin again?

Message 1 of 9 (11,313 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Will Battlefield 4 require a web browser plugin to launch like Battlefield 3?

★★★ Novice

Hi John,

I just finished playing the Alpha.. and I can confirm that BF4 works very similar to BF3. The game will be started from a Browser and yes the same browser Plugin will be used to play the game.

I dont see it as a huge problem. I am sure with BF4 coming it will be further enhanced to make it more useful. Standard smile

View in thread

Message 5 of 9 (11,332 Views)

All Replies

Re: Will Battlefield 4 require a web browser plugin to launch like Battlefield 3?

Hero (Retired)

Hey

Just install bf4 and try if it needs or not to install something, in my opinion it should run normal

Regards, Libever

Message 2 of 9 (11,251 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't have access yet.  I'm asking because, if BF4 does require the use of a browser plugin, I'm not going to buy it.  If it doesn't, then I will pre-order it so I have early access.

Message 3 of 9 (11,239 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hello,

If you dont have access to bf3 premium package you wont be able to get beta and to try play bf4,  so can examinate if it runs okay on your pc and later  you can buy itStandard smile

Regards, Libever

Message 4 of 9 (11,232 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi John,

I just finished playing the Alpha.. and I can confirm that BF4 works very similar to BF3. The game will be started from a Browser and yes the same browser Plugin will be used to play the game.

I dont see it as a huge problem. I am sure with BF4 coming it will be further enhanced to make it more useful. Standard smile

Message 5 of 9 (11,333 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

I guess that answers that. I will not be getting Battlefield 4.

It took me DAYS to figure out why I couldn't just launch Bf3. Every time I defeated a problem, another would come up.

1) Opera was my default browser, and Bf3 (for some reason) cannot use Opera to launch. I don't like being forced to change my default browser. It is a constant inconvience to have to change it back and forth. If EA insists on this method, the least they could do is support all browsers.

2) My Chrome browser couldn't be used because I had too much security on it. I have to disable all the security features to get Bf3 to work.

3) I don't want my browser running while I play games. It tends to take up bandwidth and RAM. Totally uneeded. It's very annoying to wait for the game to launch, alt-tab out, then close browser, then tab back... ridiculous! I should not have to take any action to play a game other than double-clicking an icon on my desktop. Any more complicated than that, and I just don't care.

4) Bf 3 & 4 are the only games I have EVER heard of using a browser as a launcher. It's just DRM on top of DRM.

5) Almost everything you install in your browser slows you down and spies on you.

6) Every game with a dedicated launcher seems to work. I don't see why a huge company like EA can't have a dedicated launcher.

7) The webpage I'm forced to visit each time I launch the game... is worthless to me. The only thing I care about is clicking 'Play' so I can close the page.

Message 6 of 9 (11,028 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hello,

Concerning you browser i am using Fire Fox never got any issues with resources but you can always close browser when game starts, in that way you save some resourcesStandard smile

Regards, Libever

Message 7 of 9 (11,013 Views)

Hero

1. Opera is only used by between 1/2% of users and those are typically not gamers. You have to say stop sometime.

2. That's not normal, Chrome works fine in it's standard configuration and have never heard of anyone have to disable all the "security". It must be a problem with your computersetup.

3. Todays computers don't utilize several CPU cores or loads of memory that well. Running the browser in the bagground will take up less resources on your computer as it runs in a seperate process. Except when it comes to bandwith - it's a multiplayer game, you have to expect some bandwith and compared to the size of patches that will come, the bandwith of Battlelog will be nothing. Don't close your browser and it's just as easy.

4. And the new Need For Speed, Battlefield Heroes, Quake Live, and a huge amount of casual games. It actually has a function, amongs others it's way quicker to update and fix bugs that way.

5. As well as everything else on your computer - your might as well not use one then.

6. Have you played any other multiplayer FPS games? Most of their server browsers (except perhaps Valve's) have been crap, even every Battlefield game from Bad Company 2 and backwards have had buggy serverbrowsers upon release that took ages to patch because you have to code it into the client...

7. Welcome to the future.

carbonic signature

Message 8 of 9 (11,009 Views)

★ Apprentice

Un f'n real.  Its like a lot of years since Steam with that BS (fortunately they run extremely clean now) But to actually plug crap into your browser app?  wtf for?  what idiot allowed origin to do that unless you can not get BF4 using Steam only.  Still this is just stupid looking on there part.

Message 9 of 9 (7,490 Views)