Re: Weapon crate UI with Xbox gamepad controller

by Sternflare

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Weapon crate UI with Xbox gamepad controller

★★★★ Novice

I'm running the game on PC with an Xbox controller. It seems that there's no way for me to interact with the weapon crate UI using the controller. All I can do is LB and RB to highlight primary or secondary weapons. I can't swap out weapons or even close the UI. Is there a fix for this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 6 (1,497 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Sternflare wrote:

I'm running the game on PC with an Xbox controller. It seems that there's no way for me to interact with the weapon crate UI using the controller. All I can do is LB and RB to highlight primary or secondary weapons. I can't swap out weapons or even close the UI. Is there a fix for this? Thanks.

Hi @Sternflare ,

Both aka the Xbox and PlayStation controllers works fine for playing BF4 on PC.  But it is 'just' a question of getting all the buttons enabled and mapped correctly first.  From your description of error symptoms, then it indicates that a few buttons are missing to be mapped in your current setup.  So here below the guidelines for doing this:  

• You will need to connect the controller via the USB cable to your PC!  You can at later stage connect direct via bluetooth if you have the compatible hardware for this also on your PC.  But start first by using a wired connection from controller to the PC.
  • When connecting it, you will then be able to open your Device Manager in Windows and find it there.
    Console controller on Windows PC.JPG

• If there is a yellow triangle here for your controller, then its because the Windows drivers for it have not been properly installed.  And that will then cause that your game will not recognize that you have any controller connected to be used either... 
  • In the BF4 game on PC it will not refer to a controller, as far as I recall, but still utilize the Options/Controls/Mouse Settings for your adjustments of aka sensitivity etc...
  • You will however need to go in and check if the default Key Binding values are set for your 'joy stick settings' as these are the ones used for your controller for the game play.  As again otherwise, nothing will happen when pressing any buttons or moving the joysticks on your controller.

Mapping controller to PC for BF4.JPG
  • As you refer to your current setup is by using STEAM, then here are the pre-requisites for you to enable controller:

Go to the Settings menu in Steam (under Steam on the taskbar).
    Select the Controller menu.
    Click "General Controller Settings."
    Check the box marked "PlayStation Configuration Support." and next to it you also have the Xbox, if that is your controller type.
    Then connect the DualShock 4 to your PC and you are good to go.

Good luck soldier !

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (927 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@SternflareEnter the battlefield game settings, go to the control hand settings and change the buttons to suit your game

XBOX.png

Message 2 of 6 (1,462 Views)

★★★★ Novice

That doesn't look like BF4 setting menu, not the one I have. The problem I'm having is that the weapon crate menu, where you refill ammo and equip weapons, doesn't register any input other than LB and RB.

Message 3 of 6 (1,437 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Where you using Origin as your game launcher by chance?

Message 4 of 6 (1,317 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Sternflare I found a workable solution for this. I'm using a PS5 controller and playing through Steam/Origin. On the steam controller settings, go to "Base Configurations" > "Desktop Configuration." Set the trackpad "Style of Input" to "Mouse." Set the "Click Action" to "Left Mouse." Set "Trackball Mode" to "Off."

On the Battlefield Menu, erase the binding that causes the trackpad click to bring up the menu. It will function as a left mouse click instead. This has worked for me. Adjust the mouse sensitivity as needed to move the weapons menu up and down. I am still trying to figure out a better way to use the scroll wheel function but haven't figured out a good solution for that yet.
Message 5 of 6 (933 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Sternflare wrote:

Hi @Sternflare ,

Both aka the Xbox and PlayStation controllers works fine for playing BF4 on PC.  But it is 'just' a question of getting all the buttons enabled and mapped correctly first.  From your description of error symptoms, then it indicates that a few buttons are missing to be mapped in your current setup.  So here below the guidelines for doing this:  

• You will need to connect the controller via the USB cable to your PC!  You can at later stage connect direct via bluetooth if you have the compatible hardware for this also on your PC.  But start first by using a wired connection from controller to the PC.
  • When connecting it, you will then be able to open your Device Manager in Windows and find it there.
    Console controller on Windows PC.JPG

• If there is a yellow triangle here for your controller, then its because the Windows drivers for it have not been properly installed.  And that will then cause that your game will not recognize that you have any controller connected to be used either... 
  • In the BF4 game on PC it will not refer to a controller, as far as I recall, but still utilize the Options/Controls/Mouse Settings for your adjustments of aka sensitivity etc...
  • You will however need to go in and check if the default Key Binding values are set for your 'joy stick settings' as these are the ones used for your controller for the game play.  As again otherwise, nothing will happen when pressing any buttons or moving the joysticks on your controller.

Mapping controller to PC for BF4.JPG
  • As you refer to your current setup is by using STEAM, then here are the pre-requisites for you to enable controller:

Go to the Settings menu in Steam (under Steam on the taskbar).
    Select the Controller menu.
    Click "General Controller Settings."
    Check the box marked "PlayStation Configuration Support." and next to it you also have the Xbox, if that is your controller type.
    Then connect the DualShock 4 to your PC and you are good to go.

Good luck soldier !
Message 6 of 6 (928 Views)