We are unable to connect to EA servers to activate BF4

by JayBiggsGaming

Original Post

Accepted Solution

We are unable to connect to EA servers to activate BF4

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I had some hardware issues(failing HDD) and had to replace my hard drive. On a fresh Windows install, when I try to run BF4(test range, mp match, or campaign), I get this error:

"We are unable to connect to EA servers to activate BF4 on this computer using your account. Please try again later."

I have ran BF4 on this same computer before replacing my hard drive without any issues. This problem began only after my new hard drive was installed. It affects all of my other origin games. I have been in touch with EA help chat multiple times(close to 10 now) and they have given me many things to try to get it fixed.

I have tried:
-Uninstalling the game + origin and reinstalling everything
-Running origin and BF4 as admin
-Disabling my firewall + antivirus
-Running pbsetup + updating punkbuster
-Trying the 32bit and 64 bit versions of BF4
-Making sure my time zone and clock were set correctly
-Reloading my Origin games
-Performing a clean boot in Win 8.1
-Resetting my router
-Chrome, IE, and Firefox
-Looking for any conflicting programs that might be interfering
-Resetting IE settings
-Flushing and resetting my DNS Cache
-Submitting UOtrace, dxdiag, Origin Error reports, and MSInfo logs to EA Help
-Had my ISP do a port sweep(or whatever)...my port connections are fine
-Reloading my origin games
-Deleting the license files(which were non-existent)
-Making a new administrative Windows User Account
-Bypassing my router by plugging my pc directly into my modem
-Running ccleaner(ugh)
-Clearing my Origin cache
-Installing Origin on my laptop on the same network and running a game(Spore) which gives the same error as my other computer.
-Disabling UAC
-Changing DEP to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select"
-Turning Login Verification off

-Running both VCRedist installers in the BF4 folder
-Port forwarding
-Deleting temp files (http://help.ea.com/en/article/clearing-your-temporary-files/ )
-Using Revouninstaller to completely uninstall BF4 and Origin, redownloading the 60+ GB game, and reinstalling it

None of my router settings are different from before the windows reinstall and I could play the game fine then.

Again, other Origin games are doing the same thing.

UPDATE Nov 16 2015:

Finally I had some assurance that EA is aware of the problem and has a team working on it, as well as a suggested temp workaround(which didn't work for me).

The Game Advisor said:

GA: Thanks for waiting. I really appreciate your patience and concerns for the game. So I have checked your post and i can see that you have done quite a long list of troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I really appreciate your efforts and hard work that you did. But I must inform you that we have already informed our concerned team about the issue and good news is this that they are working diligently to fix this as soon as possible.

I understand that this may not be the answer you are looking for but please be assured that this will be fixed soon. And till now they have provided a workaround for the issue which have worked for various other players facing the issue. So you can try the same as well and see if it works for you.

Run certmgr.msc in the start dialog (Windows + R) -> Expand Trusted Root Certification Authorities -> Click Certificates -> Select all localhost certificates(all of them are localhost certificates) and delete (It takes a few minutes). Then restart the PC and check the issue.

you: Now if this doesn't work, is there an estimated time frame for a fix to be completed by the engineers?
GA: I am unable to commit the exact time frame. Rest assured, you will soon receive a response from our team on your post(http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/We-are-unable-to-connect-to-EA-servers-to-activate-BF4/m-p/49... [answers.ea.com] only I will make sure to forward your issue to our help.ea team
GA: I will make sure you that our help ea committee team they resolve your issue
GA: and I also give the assurance from my end if there is any solution I receive by my end than i post the resolution on your post
GA: I saved your post as a bookmark
GA: When I receive any update resolution I directly contact with your post

So yeah...they seem to be working on it.

**I keep this post updated but check the last post in this topic as well**
6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
nVidia GeForce GTX 570
250 GB SSD
1TB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache
Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCIe Sound Card
Windows 8.1

RESOLVED:

Well...the issue was not actually on EA's end. I have an internet filter on my computer which had an error and was blocking novafusion.ea.com. I had the techs at the filter service company unblock the site and BF worked like a charm. This post may still be useful as it shows the steps EA help will give you to try if you have this error with your games(but obviously few people will have this exact problem that I had).

Message 1 of 22 (5,766 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: We are unable to connect to EA servers to activate BF4

★ Apprentice

Fixed!

See end of first post

View in thread

Message 17 of 22 (4,653 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

Hello @JayBiggsGaming

Do you have this problem with same error in other EA games? In Battlefield 3 for example?

Message 2 of 22 (5,682 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Yes, I just downloaded Spore and it gave a similar message about being unable to connect to the license server.

At this point I think it is my internet filter blocking some critical website/domain/server. If I knew what  website/domain/server it was I could unblock it easily but game advisers informed me Origin only uses IP's to activate games. So I don't know.

I've just been given these instructions though and I'm going to try them now:

https://help.ea.com/en/article/unable-to-activate-battlefield-3/

The first option didn't work so far. Moving on to the next ones.

EDIT:
I don't even have license files in that folder to delete.

Back to square one

Message 3 of 22 (5,671 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have updated the first post with steps I have tried to fix the issue. No success yet.

Message 4 of 22 (5,658 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well I've tried everything. I talked to around 6 Game Advisers and they ran out of things to try and began having me repeat ones I already did. I'm not angry, it is a decent customer support service, nice people, etc. I clearly cant use origin anymore though so I'm going to cancel my Battlefront preorder and uninstall everything. If SOMEONE SOMEWHERE figures this out PLEASE post what fixed it for you. Thanks.

Message 5 of 22 (5,649 Views)

★★★ Novice

LOL dude.. the problem is obviously not on your side and you wasted so much time to fix this issue Standard smile

It's EA problem and we have to wait for them to fix it.

A lot of us with same message btw. :\

Message 6 of 22 (5,613 Views)

★ Apprentice

I am fairly confident the issue resides with easo.ea.com and http://accounts.ea.com/

Message 7 of 22 (5,569 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm wondering if this isn't what is happening to me:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29831992-HSI-Issue-connecting-to-EA-Sports?r=822

As far as I understand it, this guy's ISP assigned him an IP that happened to be banned from EA and it blocked him from accessing easo.ea.com and accounts.ea.com<---game activation server(s)

Unfortunately I don't understand what he did to fix it so I can test it out.

Message 8 of 22 (5,550 Views)

★ Apprentice

First post updated with some semi-official word from EA on the issue. Their workaround did not work for me but give it a try (though it seems like a risky thing to do...but what do I know?)

Message 9 of 22 (5,521 Views)

★ Novice

Did you ever get this fixed? I've had the same issue for a month now.

Message 10 of 22 (5,458 Views)