Re: Svar: [PC] DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_de

by mwc12000

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PC] DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I've been getting a directx error recently. I've never gotten one before with this game (I bought it in November of 2017). It always ran fine and smooth. I started playing the other day (4-27-2018) and I got a DirectX error in the middle of a match and now in every match it does this. It only crashes in the middle of the game. Its fine loading and starting it.

Things I've tried:

-Restarting my computer

-Updating my GPU Drivers

-Going to redist and updating DXSETUP

-Updating vcredist_x64

-Under clocking my GPU to -20 (Its not overclocked btw) 

-Changing my visual performance settings in Windows to: Adjust for best performance 

-Repaired the game

-Reinstalled the game 

-Lowering graphics settings in game.

Non of those worked at all. I have attached a picture of the exact error.

Thanks for any advice.

My Specs:
Windows 8.1 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
32.0 GB of RAM

Message 1 of 18 (6,265 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [PC] DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_h

★★ Apprentice

After upgrading to Windows 10 I was able to play multiple matches of Battlefield 4 and 1 with no crashes at all. It seems my issue is finally resolved.

View in thread

Message 18 of 18 (5,845 Views)

All Replies

Re: [PC] DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_h

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@mwc12000 Make sure all this is updated I know you have one from this list but be sure they are all up to date please. If this fails to fix it then let me know and we will try the next steps to fix this error. ...PS.. and you do not need to...Under clocking my GPU to -20 (Its not overclocked btw) .... remove that please  and let it do its thing .

Latest version of DirectX see this page
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35

Reinstall Microsoft C++ For my game PC's I install both x64 and x86 as it does not hurt the PC

NOTE>>> you need to select the x64 or the x86 file depending on what architecture your computer has. To find this out, Click Start, right click on "Computer" and select "Properties". Under system type is should say "32-Bit Operating System" or "64-bit Operating System". If 32-bit operating system, download the x86 file, and if 64-bit download the x64 file.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Update your Microsoft .NET framework.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=30653

Adobe Flash Player update
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Go to Punk Buster site
http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

1- Download PB then extract files to your desktop.
2- Open Punk Buster folder.
3- Click on the PB setup and it will open.
4-Add your BF4 game to punk buster its at the top of Punk Buster.
5-Then update punk buster again at the top of Punk Buster.

Reboot PC test BF4

The main thing to fix this error is doing your video card driver this way so if first part fail to fix it please do this next part as posted every step...

Copy and past all of this to note pad and put it on your desktop...

When the time comes to install the video card driver you will be picking advanced you will only install two things from it for Nvidia cards 1- Graphics Driver 2- PhysX System and for AMD cards only check off display driver and catalyst control center. As well as check off CLEAN install

This is how you do a clean graphic driver clean install.........

Go download the free version of CC cleaner..

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Install CC Cleaner.....

Now use it to clean the registry, reboot PC and check the registry one last time for any issues. If it finds any repeat steps until it finds none. CC cleaner will give you the choice to back up or not and the first time you run it it is normal if it finds 80 + errors in the registry as every installed or uninstalled program will leave fragments behind in registry and CC Cleaner will clean this up.

Next

Start by downloading your graphic card drivers from here,

AMD; http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
NVidia; http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Download the one you have and save it on desktop, you are going to need it!

It is very normal for windows to install a video card driver on you this is why you must pick advanced then clean install when you get to the part to install the new video card driver. See part 2 step 2

1- press windows button,NOTE>>> Or just go to device manger and skip to step 5

2- right click my computer,

3- press property’s, you will get a new window here.

4- in the new window click device manger on your left side of the screen, you will get another new window here,

5- you will see in the latest window a list of devices you have in your computer, click on the arrow beside Display driver and a small fall down menu will show you what kind of graphic card you have.

6- left click on your (graphic card name) so it’s highlighted in blue,

7- right click (graphic card name) and press property’s, you will get a new small window here,

8- in the new small window click on Drivers, you will see the name between the tabs,

9- in the driver menu click on uninstall, you will now get a really small window that ask you if you’re really sure that you want to uninstall you’re graphic card drivers,

10- click ok, Reboot PC

Part 2.....

1- after you have started up/ rebooted your computer run CC Cleaner again on the registry to be sure it is all clean then do the new video card driver after. Once registry is clean click on your graphic card install file,

2- follow the instructions of your graphic card installer, Pick Custom / Advanced and only check off for Nvidia 1- Graphics Driver and PhysX System as well as check off clean install

2- for AMD card only check off display driver and catalyst control center as well as check off clean install

3- when you have Installed your new graphic card drivers restart / Reboot your computer, and clean registry one last time. On a side note to help keep a PC stable it it a good idea to run CC cleaner after you remove or install any program after a reboot.

4- you’re done. Test BF4

Message 2 of 18 (6,228 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Thank you for the reply. I tried the first half but all that stuff was up to date so it didn't work. I have yet to try the second half but I'll get to that soon. I forgot to mention I did remove that underclock as soon as I figured out that didn't work.  

Message 3 of 18 (6,205 Views)

★★ Novice

I had the same problem. Fixed it by going into the options from the origin game ui. Click on the " More " link then go options-video-advanced video.  and disable the hdr function. my videocard does not have that function so it was crashing with it switched on. Hope this solves your issue

Message 4 of 18 (6,099 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I looked in my Battlefield 4 video settings and I couldn't find an Advanced tab or any HDR Function option.  

Message 5 of 18 (6,071 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

There is no such thing as going to video options from Origin In-Game overlay.

I have the same crash in BF1 though. And HDR in game is disabled.

Message 6 of 18 (6,058 Views)

Svar: [PC] DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device

EA DICE Team

Hey, @mwc12000 most of the time when you get that error its a driver issue with the GPU, or a windows issue. I recommend doing a complete reinstall of the GPU drivers. If that doesn't work I recommend you try another windows admin account. 

let us know if it works or not. Standard smile 

/Atic 

Message 7 of 18 (6,009 Views)

Re: Svar: [PC] DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_de

★★ Apprentice

So the problem is still not solved for me. I will provide a picture of MSI Afterburner taken while I played the game if it provides any help. 

Message 8 of 18 (5,931 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mwc12000 If not done do this for settings ans try a clean boot to see if you get this Direct x crash other than this when you redid your video card did you do the steps I posted ? 

Run the game as Administrator:
Go to the Origin games folder (C:\Program Files (x64)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4) and find Bf4.exe. Right click it and go to PROPERTIES, then COMPATIBILITY and check the box next to RUN THIS PROGRAM AS ADMINISTRATOR.
Do the same with BF4_x86.exe as well.

Run Origin as Administrator:
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin and right click on Origin.exe and go to properties. Then go to compatibility tab and check the box next to RUN AS ADMIN.

Disable Origin in game:
In Origin - Application settings - Origin in Game - disable Origin in game

Origin Cloud Storage turn it off
Origin, settings, General

Make Sure BF4 is set to 64bit if your windows is 64bit
1- open origin and go to My Games
2-Right click BF4 and go to Game Properties
3-Under when launching this game set it to x64 and check off disable origin in game.
4- Hit apply REBOOT your PC and then test your BF4

Reboot PC test BF4

If you still crash see information below....

Try a clean boot : run a Clean Boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/929135 >This should ensure that no programs are interfering in the background.

Below are programs known to make issues in BF4

Disable Mantle if you have it and try Direct X, Turn OFF Anti-Aliasing Deferred in video card settings in game. If you have page file turned off then turn it back on as this can make errors even with 32gigs ram.

Others have said if they uninstall MSI Afterburner issues / crashing is stopped. So if you have this installed remove program and test BF4. Also look at other programs as Asus Game First Service...ROG Game First , Razer synapse, Razer Cortex, Qualcomm Killer Service , Fraps, EVGA Precision, Geforce experience, be sure to turn off the streaming function that is enabled by default ,Raptr, RivaTuner , ASRock eXtreme Tuner, Steam, Skype, aero ,Overwolf extra program in teamspeak and xfire are known to make issues as well. And I am sure more programs not in my list yet turn one off at a time and test BF4.

Uninstall the HD Audio Driver from the video card driver install add/remove programs. This silly thing makes issues in BF4 for some. Reboot then repair BF4 to be safe.

If all this fails to fix it then try this...

C:\Users\your PC Name\Documents\Battlefield 4

BF4 folder in my documents holds game configs and screen shots even if BF4 is installed on different drive. When you uninstall BF4 it does NOT remove this folder. So when you install the game again you can still have the same issues. Even if its not a new install it is still worth trying as the game cfg could be mucked up.

1- Go to my Documents and remove BF4 folder place it on your Desktop for now.
2- Be warned you do have to set up your in game settings again.
3-Repair BF4
4- When done go test your game. If it fails reboot your PC and run repair game again and test BF4.

Message 9 of 18 (5,908 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I still am unable to stop the DirectX Error. 

-What I have tried now: 

Running BF4 and Origin as Administrator (There was no change)

Running in a Clean Boot (The game lasted a lot longer then usual but still in the end crashed)

Uninstalling Razor Synapse (There was no change) (Also I don't think its an application problem because the game used to run fine with all those listed applications I have and the clean boot still crashed)

-Things that I had already done

Disabled Origin in game (Its been disabled since before I owned BF4)

Set BF4 to 64bit (It was running like that as default)

One thing I do remember is when I used to launch BF4 (before it started crashing) the background of the loading screen to get to menu that would say "Welcome to your Battlefield..." and "Preparing an experience for you" would always be black but when the crashes started happening the proper background appeared again (I think from a menu update). Another thing is when I get in a game the details of the textures seem to take longer to render then they used too (I'm not completely sure of this. It just seems to take longer then I remember). All this leads me to believe an update to the game may have caused this since the game never crashed before I tried playing in April. My GPU (Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition) I believe shipped with a boost which could be the cause since many people say its caused by overclocking but I don't know how low I would need to underclock it to test that. Also no other game I have ever played including other DICE games like Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 get DirectX crashes. The only games that do are BF4 and BF1 (BF1 never seemed to work without crashing but it was a different DirectX crash up until BF4 started crashing which now it also crashes with the same DirectX error listed in my first post.). This further makes me think this came from an update to the game. I have also tired launching the game from the website it used to run on (Battlelog) but it still crashes there. If anyone knows any solutions to this problem please provide the solution. Thank you.

Message 10 of 18 (5,881 Views)