Re: [PAM] Player Appreciation Month

by DerpVonOben

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Our “Ask DICE” series continues as we let level artist Linnea Harrison answer questions on level design, sent in by the Battlefield 4 community. Read on for behind-the-scenes intel on the process of creating memorable maps for Battlefield 4.

linnea

Q: Can you explain the whole process of map design from start? First you must have an idea of location… and then? How do you test the gameplay of a new level design? 
A: After the main setting of a game is decided, everyone at DICE sends in their awesome ideas for locations and interesting gameplay hooks. We had hundreds of ideas submitted for levels in Battlefield 4. The level designer/artists then starts blocking in some spaces for the level based on neat locations near the reference. The larger spaces (bases) are shifted around, reworked, reworked, and reworked until they are as fun as possible. We also have destruction in at this point, so that when we are playtesting the game, we do so with destruction in mind.

Then we go about making the level look awesome. Set dressing the level, adding really good lighting and effects, and polishing often takes a while but it is well worth the effort. Usually a lot of our testing is done here at the studio by our team. We take an hour or two each day to sit down and playtest levels and give feedback. This helps us get suggestions and ideas from everyone in the studio, rather than being stuck with just our own ideas.

Q: Will you be introducing any night maps or night variations? These maps don’t need to be pitch dark but I think a number of players would like to see a setting where IRNV and FLIR scopes, along with flares, would be useful to blind enemies better. 
A: Good question! In general, we tend to think that night maps look pretty darn cool. You can implement some really neat lighting effects and encourage use of gadgets that generally aren’t used as much, with some really fun results. But there are a few things we considered with creating night maps.

Statistically speaking, most people don’t play night maps – maps set during the day get played more. We know this from tracking the numbers of maps played through on Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2. Even if the map is really well-designed, players tend to gravitate more towards day-time maps.

Furthermore, players that crouch, take cover and wait forever to shoot someone running by in most maps gets even more common on night maps, where it’s tough to differentiate between objects and people. This has proved to be quite annoying in playtests. It’s possible to balance this – better heat vision, better spotting and so on – but for Battlefield 4 we focused on day-time maps. Future nighttime maps are absolutely something we’re always considering, though.

Paracel Storm

The iconic Paracel Storm map went through several changes before being finalized.

Q: How do you design a map to work well with multiple game modes and what are your biggest challenges when doing so?
A: Given that Battlefield is a vast game with many vehicles and open areas, we first try to make sure that the level is overall balanced for Conquest (this means working on symmetry in terms of base location, perfecting infantry routes and cover, vehicle routes, main routes, flank routes, and visibility). Conquest is our most basic game mode, and designing levels with that in mind tends to create a fairly balanced map.

The greatest challenge is to determine what sort of balance we want in the maps. We aim to have awesome infantry, vehicle, air, and naval gameplay on all maps, but some game modes will be more popular on certain maps. Take Operation Locker for example, where we wanted to focus on infantry combat and Rush. We decided to make that map more linear in nature to allow for better Rush gameplay. With that in mind, we created side routes and flanks for each base, and made sure the distances allowed for a variety of weapons used (outdoor versus indoor distances are very different), but would focus on shorter range combat.

Q: Why didn’t you include a random weather and Time of Day system in Battlefield 4? Making it randomly generated, wind, sun, storm, dust, and dawn would really increase the replay value of the game. 
A: Even though each Battlefield game is unscripted in many ways, we wanted the experience to still have an emotional impact and match the adrenaline arc of a normal gameplay round. That way, as more buildings get destroyed, the tickets count down and the gameplay gets more tense, so does the level.

Operation Locker

Operation Locker was designed with infantry combat in mind and had a more linear layout than all other Battlefield 4 maps.

Q: I was wondering if it is possible to add maps that take full advantage of the Rush game mode more? I feel the maps at the moment seem to suffer in this mode because of all the other game types. 
A: Rush is a game mode that is really fun to play on many of the Battlefield 4 maps, and it’s also one of our favorite game modes in the Multiplayer team. However, our maps are generally built for Conquest, as this is a game mode that is played by the majority (around 70%) of our players. This means that we always need to make sure that the map is 100% awesome in Conquest first-hand, but that being said, we also work hard to make Rush a good option on every map.

Q: How many people are involved in the creation of a map? How long does it take to complete a map like Paracel Storm? Do you use greyboxing to playtest the level before its fully ‘painted’? 
A: It depends on the map – some maps only take 2-3 people to create. Others take around 8-10 people, like Siege of Shanghai. Paracel Storm took a whopping 6 months to complete – but that was partly because it also got redone a few times before being finalized. That being said, some maps are created in just under 2 months. And yes, we often do greybox when we start playtesting, just to make sure the larger spaces and shapes will work.

Q: Say I wanted to get a job at DICE as a level designer, what sort of requirements would I need?
A: Usually we look more at skills than requirements. If you want to design levels, you should have a website/portfolio that shows some levels you have designed. Grab a copy of UDK or Unity and start making levels and playing them with friends. Read about level design and game design. Learn about game theory and hardware specifications. Try doing a map remake on one of your favorite Battlefield maps – how would you change the layout? Do a sketch or top down design. Ideas are great, but if you can explain them and back them up with an understanding of why the idea is a good one, that is even more impressive!

Then it’s just a matter of applying (we actually have a position open for a level designer in Los Angeles right now, so get to it!)

Thank you for reading and submitting your questions to us. Stay tuned for more Q&A’s with our developers, and remember to read the previous editions of “Ask DICE” if you haven’t done so already.

If this helps, please click the white XP button and to give me some XP.
If this solves your question, click the green solution button and mark it as solution so it can help others with the same problem.

Message 71 of 103 (681 Views)

★★ Apprentice

That is nice from you guys really. But..... 

Off topic

What about us? About players that can't play battlefield because u can't fix crashing issues? Are we gonna get something for playing "Game from hell" for all this time? When u gonna fix it ? I could play it before last update (operation locker only it crashed to but not like in other maps) But now crash every 1-5 minutes..... I feel like I gave my money for nothing. 

This should be your main issue for fixing. You will lose many players because of that. 

Message 72 of 103 (627 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Seriously?  This is a slap in the face.  

Want to really appreciate your players?  Skip the "shortcut bundles" and  FIX THE GOD DAMN GAME.  It's actually astonishing .... MONTHS after release the issues haven't gotten any better - they've gotten WORSE!   

The latest update?!  Now that you are thoroughly enjoying the frequent freezes and crashes we'd like to completely remove all the weapon, kit and vehicle upgrades you've earned!  That's right!  They're gone!  Where'd they go?  *shrug*  Will they come back!?  *shrug*

Message 73 of 103 (612 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

So. 

Stay on topic.

How about EA / DICE fix a game that shouldn't be having troubles like this from the start?

How about EA learn how to troubleshoot and treat their paying customers?

I just spent another two hours tonight waiting for someone from EA support to call me, and once they did - instead of sending me to Tier 2 as promised, they made me perform another bunch of moronic troubleshooting steps that I've already done.

They say they're not trying to say my machine is broken - but by asking me to change base settings - the factory settings of my CPU and GPU - that's pretty far-fetched.

The patch broke it.  Just fix the game.  I'm tired of this.  

8+ hours of work on this over four days with no help from EA.  This last person that called me back had a freaking dog barking in the background.  Seriously?!?!  So much for credibility.

These are supposed to be the help forums.  So - to circle back around to the topic - EA needs to help fix this craptastic crash-fest that they created with the Feb 13 patch.

Message 74 of 103 (601 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yes...stay on topic.  Accept the patronizing plattitudes and ignore the fact that the game is unplayable.  Pretend like EA/DICE cares about you after they've happily taken your hard earned money for their horrifically substandard, virtually unplayable, sorry excuse for a game.

Message 75 of 103 (535 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

One of the many giveaways during the Battlefield 4 Player Appreciation Month are the Shortcut Kits, voluntary bundles that will unlock various weapons for Battlefield 4 (the base game), allowing you to make up for lost time, or just catch up if you’re new to the game. The Shortcut Kits are now available for download at no cost for a limited time.

Battlefield 4 Premium members will get access to two special Shortcut Kits, on top of two other Shortcut Kits accessible to all Battlefield 4 owners. See below for the handout schedule.

Premium Shortkit_560x316_weaponBundle_PAM_ONLY

February 18 to February 24
Shortcut Kit: Hand Guns
Battlefield 4 Premium Shortcut Kit: DMR’s

February 25 to March 4
Shortcut Kit: Grenades
Battlefield 4 Premium Shortcut Kit: Shotguns

How to claim your Shortcut Kits

Console Owner
Go to the in-game Store.
Either click on the Shortcut Kit banner or proceed to view “All Items”
Find the Shortcut Kit priced at $0
Premium users will also see a second Shortcut Kit priced at $0
Download each item to be granted your Shortcut Kit(s).

PC Owner
Login to Battlelog
Go to the “Store” section.
Find the Shortcut Kit priced at $0.
Click “Download”.
Proceed through the Origin checkout flow to be granted your Shortcut Kit.

PC Owner (Battlefield 4 Premium Member)
Login to Battlelog.
Look in the “News” section for info on the Shortcut Giveaway.
Click on the “PREMIUM GIVEAWAY” button within the news story.
A success message will display in green at the top of Battlelog if successful.
You have now been granted the Shortcut Kit.

Click here for full conditions and restrictions.

If this solves your question, click the green solution button and mark it as solution so it can help others with the same problem.

Message 76 of 103 (528 Views)

★★ Novice

Confusedmileyvery-happy: dont have any battlepack for each crash or soundloop?  Sad =(

Message 77 of 103 (477 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

The DICE Community Missions during the Player Appreciation Month have been great examples of cooperation in the Battlefield 4 community. The first Mission, where we challenged you to grab 10,000,000 dog tags in just six days, was a success. As a reward, all participating players across all formats will receive a Gold Battlepack entitled to their Origin account on February 20. We salute you.

Battlefield 4 Dog tag grab 640

We would also like to applaud your efforts in the DICE Community Mission where we challenged you to destroy 50 million vehicles in six days. With an end result of 46 190 615 million land, air, and sea units blown to bits, you came extremely close to succeeding. It seems like the Battlefield is also full of drivers skilled at using counter-measures!

community icon with TM

Going forward, the third DICE Community Mission will start this Friday, February 21. We’re holding off with the details for that one just a little bit longer, but stay tuned to the Battlefield Blog for all the intel. This time we urge you all: Go for Gold!

Learn more about the DICE Community Missions

Message 78 of 103 (456 Views)

★★ Novice

Need help:

I have BF4 premium, took the handgun shortcut pack (because I am lazy), but cannot get the DMR one.

It is supposed to be in the "store" along with the handgun pack for premium members such as myself, but it isn't there

Already tried logging into battlelog again, but still nothing

Message 79 of 103 (450 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

If you did not understand the announcement, take a look here: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065225348140092/ .

Message 80 of 103 (447 Views)