Origin multiple game install drives

by HowlinWolf_PL

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin multiple game install drives

★★★ Novice

Looking at Origin today i just realize that there is one option missing that other distribution platform have already for a while !

- option to install games in different locations and different drives

Much needed i'd say, what your opinion on that, will we ever see that option implemented ?

as far as i know, changing the install dir won't move entire game to be ready to play again, right ?

Message 1 of 8 (24,699 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin multiple game install drives

Hero

Hi @HowlinWolf_PL and Welcome to Answer HQ!

This option is already supported, although not in an entirely logical way yet.

You can set the install location in Origin's settings, so lets say you have 3 games installed on one harddrive, if you then change the installation directory in Origin and install a new game then that new game will be installed in the new location and all 4 games will work.

Now, if you want to move games then this is also possible, this guide will explain:

How to install a Origin game using a backup, Battlefield 4 used as an example.

1. Save your BF4 backup from “Origin Games\Battlefield 4″ somewhere else
  2. Uninstall BF4 in Origin
  3. Make sure you have the correct installation directory selected in Origin’s settings
  4. Start the BF4 download in the new directory for 2 minutes
  5. Exit Origin
  6. Copy over the backup, overwriting all files
  7. Start Origin again
  8. Look at Origin verifying the files, setting up the changes in the registry and downloading the last files

carbonic signature

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (30,765 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Hi @HowlinWolf_PL and Welcome to Answer HQ!

This option is already supported, although not in an entirely logical way yet.

You can set the install location in Origin's settings, so lets say you have 3 games installed on one harddrive, if you then change the installation directory in Origin and install a new game then that new game will be installed in the new location and all 4 games will work.

Now, if you want to move games then this is also possible, this guide will explain:

How to install a Origin game using a backup, Battlefield 4 used as an example.

1. Save your BF4 backup from “Origin Games\Battlefield 4″ somewhere else
  2. Uninstall BF4 in Origin
  3. Make sure you have the correct installation directory selected in Origin’s settings
  4. Start the BF4 download in the new directory for 2 minutes
  5. Exit Origin
  6. Copy over the backup, overwriting all files
  7. Start Origin again
  8. Look at Origin verifying the files, setting up the changes in the registry and downloading the last files

carbonic signature

Message 2 of 8 (30,766 Views)

★ Novice

This won't work with the newest Origin, And the most stupiest thing Origin has done is to remove the the drive option (C: , D: ) so i can only use the old Origin.exe to install games to a different drive.

Message 3 of 8 (18,427 Views)

EA Community Manager

Hey @Senoks1,

to change the install folder, launch Origin, then click on "Origin - Application Settings - Installs & Saves - Game library location". You can select any folder and drive. 

Please do note that this won't affect the location for games already installed.

Message 4 of 8 (18,414 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Do you know if Origin saves the installation path of each game in a file somewhere on the system? :-)

Message 5 of 8 (16,255 Views)

★★★ Novice

You can find and edit it in the registry of your PC.

1. Search for regedit
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / WOW6432Node
  3. In there you find the folders of various programs and Games. In the example of Battlefield 4 you can go to EA Games / Battlefield 4 (click on Battlefield 4 folder)
  4. On the right side you can now see the different key / value pairs. One of the keys is Install Dir. Edit it to change the directory.

Hope I could help Standard smile

Have fun playing!

Message 6 of 8 (14,462 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

this guy is awesome. although having to use regedit is a bit of a pain, especially for those who haven't used it before, this works and makes it so i can move all my games to their own folder without having to change the install location over and over in origin.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info.

Message 7 of 8 (13,902 Views)

★★★ Novice

You're very welcome! Glad I could help.

You are correct though, it is not the easiest or safest way to go, however to me it turned out to be the most reliable one without having to change the path and redownload the whole game over and over.

Message 8 of 8 (12,917 Views)