I have low ping but I am getting latency variation symbol and laggy gameplay

by freddie135

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I have low ping but I am getting latency variation symbol and laggy gameplay

★★ Novice

I never usually have any lag problems, but the last couple of days all my favorite servers have been lagging a tonne and the red symbol with the ! is ever present on the right of the screen. I usually have quite a low ping i think (less than 40). I tired a bunch of other servers but they were still really choppy.

I have a wired Ethernet connection - here is a speedtest I did.

Please could somebody help me this is really annoying Frown

Message 1 of 9 (32,048 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: I have low ping but I am getting latency variation symbol and laggy gameplay

Hero (Retired)

@freddie135

To power-cycle your Router and Modem, follow these steps:

1.  Unplug the power from both devices

2.  Wait 5 min

3.  Plug in the MODEM first, and wait for it to FULLY boot up (usually takes about 2 min)

4.  Plug in the ROUTER

5.  Wait for this to fully boot up

If you have one of the Modem / Router combos, just do the same but skip steps 4-5 since the router is part of the modem.

Did my post help you? Click "Grant XP"
Did my post solve your issue? Click "Accept As Solution"

I do not work for EA. I am just a gamer helping fellow gamers.

See you on the Battlefield!!!

Multi-Platform Elite Race: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4

I DO NOT ANSWER PMs. IF YOU NEED HELP, POST A NEW THREAD SO THE WHOLE COMMUNITY CAN GIVE INPUT, AND IF IT GETS SOLVED, EVERYONE CAN SEE THE SOLUTION.

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (35,516 Views)

All Replies

Re: I have low ping but I am getting latency variation symbol and laggy gameplay

Hero (Retired)

@freddie135

Even though your speed test shows good speeds (at least for your download, your upload isnt the greatest), that does not mean your connection is reliable.  One of my friends has 1,000 Mbps and has all types of issues because his connection is unreliable.

When is the last time you power-cycled your Router and Modem?

I DO NOT ANSWER PMs. IF YOU NEED HELP, POST A NEW THREAD SO THE WHOLE COMMUNITY CAN GIVE INPUT, AND IF IT GETS SOLVED, EVERYONE CAN SEE THE SOLUTION.

Message 2 of 9 (32,034 Views)

★★ Novice

Does power cycle just mean turn on and off? Wondering

Message 3 of 9 (32,030 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@freddie135

To power-cycle your Router and Modem, follow these steps:

1.  Unplug the power from both devices

2.  Wait 5 min

3.  Plug in the MODEM first, and wait for it to FULLY boot up (usually takes about 2 min)

4.  Plug in the ROUTER

5.  Wait for this to fully boot up

If you have one of the Modem / Router combos, just do the same but skip steps 4-5 since the router is part of the modem.

Message 4 of 9 (35,517 Views)

★★ Novice

ok thanks ill try this Standard smile

Message 5 of 9 (32,023 Views)

★★ Novice

@TapouTony420

Ok that seems to have smoothed everything out.. Thank you very much Wink

Message 6 of 9 (32,019 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@freddie135

No problem.  I always recommend people do this around once a week, even if the issue doesn't pop up again.  I do it at a minimum of once a week, but once is fine and you won't run into these issues as much, until the Modem ages more.

Message 7 of 9 (32,009 Views)

★★ Novice

I was having the exact same problem as the guy you helped in this post and it also solved my problems. You did what EA couldn't do themselves! Thanks man!

Message 8 of 9 (30,970 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
EA cant really be blamed for player's own private network setup in their private homes.
Lets be fair, shall we? And BF4 is still a great game! ;o)
Message 9 of 9 (30,911 Views)