Re: Huge ping and frame time spikes on high end PC

by Lipous_Electus

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Huge ping and frame time spikes on high end PC

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hello,

I have huge ping and frame time spikes on 2 computers. I have no internet issues in other games and my internet is very stable. Never had any issues with my connection.

I am on i5 9600KF and RTX 3070, 3200mhz g.skill, corsair rm650x 2018, ASUS z390-i gaming. I am currently on clean windows and game install. So verifying won't help and not many programs. I use Bitdefender, but no notifications, it should be fine.

I read frame time is maybe problem in game optimization. BF4 is very cpu demanding. I have frame time spikes to 12 ms, while maintaining 200 fps. On old computer this was much worse, I had spikes even to 25ms. This is concerning CPU, GPU rendering times are very low like 3-4 ms and almost no spikes. CPU line is smooth, but sometimes I get huge spikes!

About ping issues: I did traceroute and I have spikes to 130, on some remote servers. But lets say like first 10 were fine. So it is not my ISP probably. Lag was in other country. It is corona probably.

Btw could high frame time be also tied to latency issues? Some games need all network data, before they can start rendering a frame.

Message 1 of 3 (1,233 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

FPS is nota  problem. I can have stable 200fps, yet I am getting huge frame time spikes! There is not really overkill for anything! Games are complex and poorly optimized today. It could be that. And BF4 is very CPU heavy. I get spikes only to 12.9ms on this PC and on my old PC I get to 25ms. I read also upgrading CPU helped for other people. But it doesn't fix the issue completely. And people complained on this issue in past on forums.

I don't think it is a driver issue, no issues in other games and on older computer same thing. Yep I am running latest Nvidia drivers.

I have dual channel.

Everything in origin is disabled.

First link, I already tried all of that.

And second link, there isn't really anything.

Otherwise lag spikes, it is like 10+ server outside my country. I don't think I can do anything with that. And I get lag spikes on every server. I think it is Corona. I never had latency problems in BF4, ever until corona. But I better contact support, could be some weird issue with that frame time, or just bad optimization.

BTW I also tried BF1 and it is not even playable how bad frame time on CPU is, jumping to 80ms+ weird! But it was only problem on DX12 so far, gpu restriction setting, or cpu count had no effect. DX11 worked fine for 5 minutes... Didn't test it thoroughly yet. But I had stutters in BF1 on older computer before... Seems like the game issue!

Hmm even DX11 is terrible, CPU frame time spikes to 25. And GPU frame time spikes to 15, on just medium...

SOLUTION:

Problem was Display scaling in NVCP. Since I put it to GPU, from multiple long tests: 99% of my frame times are near perfect. 99% is standard used by reviewers... And I got +50 average fps. Also aim is more consistent than ever before!!!

View in thread

Message 3 of 3 (1,193 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice
@MilitiaGrunI Well that's weird, your PC is overkill for BF4. I have a dual-core i3-4170 3.7ghz paired with a AMD Radeon 7800x series and 2xg.skill 4gb and I play it on High settings with 60+ FPS.

I think it could be maybe a driver issue? Are your drivers all up to date? Also, that memory, is it dual-channel or just a single slot memory? You can try to disable origin overlays and save in cloud features.

Here's a list of similar problems that you can find here at the forum. Maybe if you check around you can find a solution, if not, get in contact with EA Help support on the website, twitter or facebook.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/BF4-random-lag-spikes/td-p/3416547

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/203097/fps-lag-spikes-in-bf4/
Message 2 of 3 (1,202 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

FPS is nota  problem. I can have stable 200fps, yet I am getting huge frame time spikes! There is not really overkill for anything! Games are complex and poorly optimized today. It could be that. And BF4 is very CPU heavy. I get spikes only to 12.9ms on this PC and on my old PC I get to 25ms. I read also upgrading CPU helped for other people. But it doesn't fix the issue completely. And people complained on this issue in past on forums.

I don't think it is a driver issue, no issues in other games and on older computer same thing. Yep I am running latest Nvidia drivers.

I have dual channel.

Everything in origin is disabled.

First link, I already tried all of that.

And second link, there isn't really anything.

Otherwise lag spikes, it is like 10+ server outside my country. I don't think I can do anything with that. And I get lag spikes on every server. I think it is Corona. I never had latency problems in BF4, ever until corona. But I better contact support, could be some weird issue with that frame time, or just bad optimization.

BTW I also tried BF1 and it is not even playable how bad frame time on CPU is, jumping to 80ms+ weird! But it was only problem on DX12 so far, gpu restriction setting, or cpu count had no effect. DX11 worked fine for 5 minutes... Didn't test it thoroughly yet. But I had stutters in BF1 on older computer before... Seems like the game issue!

Hmm even DX11 is terrible, CPU frame time spikes to 25. And GPU frame time spikes to 15, on just medium...

SOLUTION:

Problem was Display scaling in NVCP. Since I put it to GPU, from multiple long tests: 99% of my frame times are near perfect. 99% is standard used by reviewers... And I got +50 average fps. Also aim is more consistent than ever before!!!

Message 3 of 3 (1,194 Views)