How to fix "Battlefield 4 has stopped working" on Windows 8?

by DeltaBugles

Original Post

How to fix "Battlefield 4 has stopped working" on Windows 8?

★★ Novice

I'm not sure what to do here. I can play a game for 45 minutes and be fine but then join another game and get this error within minutes or even seconds. Sometimes it happens between matches. I've changed it from fullscreen to borderless to windowed and these don't tend to make a difference.

I've also repaired the install, updated drivers, updated PB, the lot. Any advice please?

Message 1 of 11 (28,725 Views)

Re: How to fix "Battlefield 4 has stopped working" on Windows 8?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

In last choice, if all other solutions dont works, try to temporarly uninstall entierly your antivirus/firewall software (that correct my issue)

Then if BF4 work fine, try to install a new one compatible with BF4

Message 2 of 11 (28,274 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've had this same issue with Windows 7. Game seems to be going great for a long while, then crashes and will keep crashing as soon as I load the game again. Have to restart my pc in order to play for 10 minutes without crashing.

Message 3 of 11 (28,267 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Don't know for you guys but for me, if I turn off my pop-up blockers/addblockers, it stopped doing this issue. I think it's because the game enter's in a loop trying to contact battlelog because of something that gets in between your client and the server/browser. 

Message 4 of 11 (25,535 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

To fix the crashes, use custom preset and put the texture quality to Low/Medium and Anti-Aliasing (Post) off atm. Haven't tried Ultra settings but wouldn't recommend it. Many crashes exists, and this is how you can solve most of them...

You should also put GameTime.MaxVariableFps 61 in your user.cfg (install folder -- just create one), to stall the crashes from happening as they are fps based...

Message 5 of 11 (25,532 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

So, I turned off AdBlock in my chrome, and I added the 'cfg' file as stated above, and this solved my issue.

I was experiencing the same thing as the original poster, where after a while (maybe 30-45 minutes into a game, or when entering a new game) BF4 would crash and give a 'has-stopped-working' error.  The error would repeat when I restarted the game, but I could restart my computer to fix the error (however, it would only fix it temporarilly).  

The steps I took to fix it...

1.) turn off any popup blocker in browser

2.) (my anti-virus is already off when I play games, I can't say that has anything to do with it, but it's still recommended to turn it off to game)

3.) add a user.cfg file with just 'GameTime.MaxVariableFps 61' to the install directory of BF4

Goodluck to others with this issue!

Message 6 of 11 (23,738 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

You can try this solution too, that resolved my crash and performance issue

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Resolving-random-ingame-crash-issue-and-performance/m-p/17694...

Message 7 of 11 (20,410 Views)

★★★ Newbie

When I play with engineer or Recon  is working good but if i play with medic BF4 crash!. my solution dont play with class asault or medic

Message 8 of 11 (18,011 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Everytime I try to run battlefield 4 it says battlefield 4 has stopped working help pleaseee

Message 9 of 11 (12,855 Views)

★★★ Newbie

in exactly which file do i add this file?

Message 10 of 11 (10,377 Views)