Re: How do you bind the Escape key?

by Indys2nd

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How do you bind the Escape key?

★★ Novice

How do you bind the Escape key?  Pressed once, it will cancel the key binding window.  Hold escape, and it will clear whatever key binding was set in place.

Message 1 of 10 (19,517 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero (Retired)

As I said before, the escape key is used universally to get the menu screen. And I doubt it's able to be rebound. Any other key, yes, as the prompt you just spoke of won't interfere with rebinding any other key. From the prompt you are seeing, you can't rebind it. Sorry. 

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (19,430 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

Why would you want to rebind the escape key? It's pretty much universal in all games as the way to bring up the menu. To bind any key, you click the key you want to rebind, then, when prompted, you select the new key you want to bind it to. I'm not sure I understand your issue or question. 

Message 2 of 10 (19,482 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm sorry, you must have interpreted my post as a request for opinions.  That was not the intention.

Simply asking: How do you bind the Escape key?

Message 3 of 10 (19,467 Views)

Hero (Retired)

As I said, the same way you bind any key. The escape key is tied to the menu. So I would suggest first unbinding that and binding it to a different key. You can find it under key bindings and the on foot tab, the vehicle tab, etc. Scroll down to you see it. click where it says menu and lists the keybinding as escape. You will be prompted to rebind it to a different key. Then go to the setting you wish to bind the escape key to. If you accidentally unbound it from the menu, then go to to the on foot tab, look for menu, and rebind it to the escape key.  Have you already unbound it from the menu option and that is why you are asking this? If not, then follow these directions to bind it. 

Message 4 of 10 (19,456 Views)

★★ Novice

"As I said, the same way you bind any key."

If that is the case, then explain how you get around this prompt that appears when you select a keybinding:

"Bind key or press Escape to cancel.  Hold Escape to clear this binding."

Or, as I wrote in the OP:

"Pressed once, it will cancel the key binding window.  Hold escape, and it will clear whatever key binding was set in place."

Message 5 of 10 (19,438 Views)

Hero (Retired)

As I said before, the escape key is used universally to get the menu screen. And I doubt it's able to be rebound. Any other key, yes, as the prompt you just spoke of won't interfere with rebinding any other key. From the prompt you are seeing, you can't rebind it. Sorry. 

Message 6 of 10 (19,431 Views)

★★ Novice

That's quite alright.  I know you didn't program that functionality.  No need to be sorry.

Unfortunately, it was as I assumed: "you can't".....

Message 7 of 10 (19,425 Views)

★★ Novice

probably you don't need this anymore but there is a way to do it: while BF4 is not running simply edit file "Documents\Battlefield 4\settings\PROFSAVE_profile" and search for properties ending with ".button", these can accept an int argument and 1 here represents the ESC key, simple as that. Make sure within every category (infantry, heli, etc..) all value are unique so no binding used twice.

Message 8 of 10 (19,366 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Couse some people just have esc key broken

Message 9 of 10 (19,021 Views)

★★ Novice

or some ppl use external monitors on laptop with lid closed and keypad such as orbweaver.too hard!? 

Message 10 of 10 (16,987 Views)