Re: Help...touchup.exe question

by RedFoxxie

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Help...touchup.exe question

★★★ Newbie

I'm having issues with BF4 and the DLCs.  So whenever I click 'repair', towards the end of the process, a message pops up asking me if I want to allow "touchup.exe" access to my computer or something similar to that.  Is touchup.exe safe, and do I need to click yes?  The thing that has me scratching my head is that it says the publisher is unknown.  Thank you all for your time.

Message 1 of 7 (101,862 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hey there @awh23

Excellent question, I love it when people are rather worried of their security than letting whatever run on their computer without checking up first !

To answer your question, Touchup.exe, by full name "EA Installer Touchup" , is a part of EA's installers they bundle up together with their games which purpose is to make corrections and adjustments to your installation. That is why it runs while you are running the Repair for your game, it is the program responsible for doing the adjustments wherever needed.

It is a known process and shouldn't cause harm to your computer. Different versions of the Touchup.exe have their own versions and checksums of course due to the fact that they're made to work with the specific games it is bundled with. But yeah, it should be safe : http://processchecker.com/file/touchup.exe.html

For me, the EA Installer Touchup is recognized being by a verified publisher Electronic Arts, Inc. though. If you do want to make sure, you can go to the Battlefield 4's installation folder and to the _Installer folder and you should see the Touchup.exe there. Right click it, goto properties and see the Digital Signature of it. Is it missing ? Does the file have the Origin icon on it ?

I have a digital version of the game, I wonder if there is some differences between regional versions or physical downloads.. But yeah, it should be safe, but it also should be verified. At least mine is.

Tl;dr : It should be safe and it normally is a part of EA's installers as a part of their repair routine but it is indeed concerning that it tells you that the publisher is unknown, as mine is detected as being verified to Electronic Arts, Inc..

EDIT: Right, forgot to mention. Mine Touchup.exe's MD5 checksum is d803c8e7c2ff0d605a26b76368a58b79. If yours differs, that's kind of concerning. Checked with WinMD5 : http://www.winmd5.com/

The file is also 937 952 bytes of size, 937 984 on disk.

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (128,711 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hey there @awh23

Excellent question, I love it when people are rather worried of their security than letting whatever run on their computer without checking up first !

To answer your question, Touchup.exe, by full name "EA Installer Touchup" , is a part of EA's installers they bundle up together with their games which purpose is to make corrections and adjustments to your installation. That is why it runs while you are running the Repair for your game, it is the program responsible for doing the adjustments wherever needed.

It is a known process and shouldn't cause harm to your computer. Different versions of the Touchup.exe have their own versions and checksums of course due to the fact that they're made to work with the specific games it is bundled with. But yeah, it should be safe : http://processchecker.com/file/touchup.exe.html

For me, the EA Installer Touchup is recognized being by a verified publisher Electronic Arts, Inc. though. If you do want to make sure, you can go to the Battlefield 4's installation folder and to the _Installer folder and you should see the Touchup.exe there. Right click it, goto properties and see the Digital Signature of it. Is it missing ? Does the file have the Origin icon on it ?

I have a digital version of the game, I wonder if there is some differences between regional versions or physical downloads.. But yeah, it should be safe, but it also should be verified. At least mine is.

Tl;dr : It should be safe and it normally is a part of EA's installers as a part of their repair routine but it is indeed concerning that it tells you that the publisher is unknown, as mine is detected as being verified to Electronic Arts, Inc..

EDIT: Right, forgot to mention. Mine Touchup.exe's MD5 checksum is d803c8e7c2ff0d605a26b76368a58b79. If yours differs, that's kind of concerning. Checked with WinMD5 : http://www.winmd5.com/

The file is also 937 952 bytes of size, 937 984 on disk.

Message 2 of 7 (128,712 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How do I view the checksum?

Message 3 of 7 (101,760 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That is the exact same file size as mine.

Message 4 of 7 (101,759 Views)

Champion (Retired)

If you desire to check the checksum, you can load WinMD5 from this link : http://www.winmd5.com/download/winmd5free.zip

I scanned it with F-Secure just to make sure that it is clean. Inside of that is WinMD5.exe. You launch that and it opens up a small window like this :

Just drag the file of yours there, or browse it there and it gives you the MD5 checksum value to the bottom. You can then compare it to the checksum value of mine which I posted there earlier to ensure that the files are identical.

The fact that their byte size is exact though would say that the files are, indeed, the same. My theory is that it might be a difference with how our OS understands the verification. I have Windows 10 on me, Windows 7 I know sometimes can be quirky with anything that doesn't come from Microsoft themselves and calls it an "unknown publisher" . Alternatively it could be just that for some oddball reason your file is missing the verification on the file which would be more odd.

But yeah, one could assume that considering the files of ours are identical, they are the same and should henceforth be safe.

Message 5 of 7 (101,744 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know this rely is 3 years late but thanks for this. 

I was downloading Battlefield 4 along with its DLC's via Origin Play (formerly known as Origin Access). I was away from the keyboard to send time with the family while its downloading and then touchup.exe appeared. Thought my C is being attempted to be hacked by an application I clicked "No". 

This thread gave me assurance. TQ

Message 6 of 7 (31,275 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it being necroed.

If you have any issues with Battlefield 4 please make a new topic about the issues you are having and what kind of steps you have tried to solve it.

/Atic
Message 7 of 7 (31,254 Views)