Fixed device hung Directx error...

by oppresedAMERICAN

Original Post

Fixed device hung Directx error...

[ Edited ]

try running only 2 sticks of ram no more than 8 gigs total...

I removed 2 sticks and reset to auto control ram in my bios ...

no more xmp profile...no more quad channel ...

game runs with no errors  or blue screens.     nothing bad ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dx error and high paced nvidia card  repaired! 

..smallstory.....

Just after Second Assault released to Premium Customers I only had small issues with game @ 8 gigs of ram ( 2sticks of 4 gigs ) I can add ram and up the mhz through evga dark79 bios. So i did. I went from 2 sticks of 4 gigs at like 1333mhz (auto)>>>>>to>>>>4 sticks (correctly placed and configured) running at 2400 mhz.....(xmp profile)

^^^^^

That was my issue..everything ran fine until the patch

The Patch came out for the game, while simultaneously, Second Assult was released to the general BF4  DLc.

^^^^^^^^^^^

That was when all my issues started. I went through about 50 errors (blue screens..., constant direct x errors, computer just restarts. .) To the point i actually dumped windows because it had errored so many tmes. And my memory all tested good. . WINDOWS<<<<____WAS UN REPAIRABLE.

anywho......

i JUST REMOVED THE TWO EXTRA STICKS OF RAM......

*****reset the bios back to auto run my memory (turning off xmp profile for running at quad channel  of 2400 mhrz.) ....REBOOTED.

Bamb...the game runs at normal stress of card on high settings and very well on ultra......

NOT ONE ERROR, SHUTDOWN,,,NOT ONE BLACK OR BLUE SCREEN...3 HRS STRAIGHT....NO DIRECTX ANYTHING..

16 GIGS OF RAM IS NOT GOOD FOR THIS GAME I GUESS. OR MAYBE ITS THE 4 STICKS OF RAM....IT ALSO , FOR ME, COULD HAVE BEEN THE QUAD CHANNEL. OR THE XMP PROFILE IDONT KNOW.

BUT IT RUNS LIKE BUTTER.

MY RIG

---------------------

evga x79 dark w/ i74930k extreme (air cooled: phantek 6-pipe copper), gpu: evga 3Gb. 580gtx classified,

----16 gigs 4-chan hyperx beast 2400mhz., psu:1000w gaming series, h.d.cz revodrive (w/2 sub ssd)

>>removed  2 stix ^^^^changed to 1333 (auto)^^^^ >>>now has only 8 gigs running my system.     

Message 1 of 3 (1,547 Views)

Re: Fixed device hung Directx error...

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I'm running a GTX 670 OC from MSI. For the first year or so it ran fine, but lately it crashes on graphically intensive games while running on stock (read: MSI overclocked) settings.

I haven't tried upping the voltage, I'd like mine to stick around as long as possible.

What works for me in this and other games is using MSI Afterburner (any tuning software should work) to reduce GPU and Memory speeds by ~50MHz, or right around the reference level. I also have raised the power limit to 105.

The Error "Device crashed due to badly formed command" or similar is only given by Battlefield. The rest of the games just crash and windows reports their executable stopped working. It's not a DX problem, it's not a BF3 or 4 problem, it's a GPU problem. 

From what I've read, upping the voltage should work too, just keep in mind this *will* raise your heat levels (higher voltage = more current = more heat generated) and *may* shorten the life of the card.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting this around so others having the same problem with BF3 and now BF4 will be able to figure it out quicker than I did.

For the record, I have 2-2gig sticks of whatever Alienware stock RAM is, and 2-4gig sticks of Crucial memory, running in XMP at 1866 MHz. So 4 mismatched RAM modules and 12GB total.

Message 2 of 3 (1,464 Views)

Re: Fixed device hung Directx error...

★★★★ Novice

How does one understand and attempt to fix this error of most of what you said, I did not understand.  I have limited knowledge on the workings and intricacy of graphics cards and the like.  I have a gtx 650 2GB with 2 sticks of  4GB Ram.  I don't understand most anything beyond that point.  A lamen in the fullest meaning of the term is where I fall in, maybe slightly above.

I've been plagued by this error since BF3.  Now BF4, though its intermittent.  Some nights i crash every other round, some not at all.  It's also happening on every other game I play.  The more fun I'm having and the better I'm doing...I seem to crash more...though thats most likely coincindence.  Though on those shitty rounds when your team doesn't PTFO, as most servers are like these days, I never crash.

What I'm asking is for is some set of relatively easy instuctions or guidelines on how to determine and fix the cause of the Device Hung Errors.  I can't get through the little time I have to enjoy gaming without this Crash.  Like I said earlier, I have a very limited knowledge base in this area or any other related areas.  I know I have the hardware to run these games but perhaps my lack of knowledge has led to a bad setting up of this hardware as I built my PC myself.  The more I search on the internet for help, the more confused I get.  There has to be something a PC illiterate person can do.

A side note.  My Gforce experience program is bugged as well.  I cannot do any updates through it.  Even updates on the Experience program as well.  I choose the option to update and it just minimizes the program and is followed by nothing.  I've removed and reinstalled, which doesnt work half the time either, and there has been no change.

Any information on this would be most tremendously appreciated.  Games are my true joy, when I have the time....After switching to PC several years ago to reduce overall cost, I've felt lost and out of my element.  The net is too overwhelming for any one credible answer and on this paricular issue...the threads and sites and forums that discuss this topic? Well there is more suggestions and advice then there are letters on this entire post.  All of which are worded in ways that only those with a lot of experience understand.  No considerartion for the lamen.  Please help. I'm desperate.

Message 3 of 3 (1,274 Views)