Re: Finally not crashing!!!

by neuronz

Original Post

Finally not crashing!!!

★ Novice

Since I bought the game from initial release date I've only been able to play the last three days without crashing. 

I am still not happy with everything I've had to go through in order to get my game working so i want to share my experience with everyone else in case it could be helpful. 

My problem was complete computer reboots after some time of play. My specs: 

CPU: i7-860 
M/B EVGA P55 FTW 
GPU: MSI NVIDIA 770 FT 2GB OC 
RAM: 20GB 
HDD: 254GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD 
PSU: CORSAIR RM850 

Initially instead of starting to flame the game and whining in forums I started to research. I'm 40 years old and I've been a computer tech since 18. Usually my first instinct is that a complete reboot is usually a hardware failure. Of course again my experience as tough me that software can also be the cause of reboots. Don't forget that code speaks straight to the hardware so bad coding can result in bad results. The other thing that made me skeptical is that my computer did's crash in any other game. I played diablo 3, BF3, crysis 3 etc... for months without a single glitch. I find it weird that in this forum and on EA forums there are people telling other people off because they are saying that BF4 causes their computer to reboot. It only makes sense to believe that since someone has been using his computer for months without any problems and only encounters this in BF4. 

Anyways reading the forums the first thing I thought I should try is get a new PSU. My PSU was a corsair 650 modular and it was a really nice PSU. Since it was the only part that was a little small and from reading some posts about how a new PSU solved many peoples problems I spent a nice 160€ on my new corsair RM850 PSU just to get disappointed again. Computer kept restarting. I did stress tests to both my CPU and GPU not a single crash. Spent days and nights trying latest beta drivers and older drivers resulting in getting more crashes and reboots. Tried 64, 32 bit , no AV, no firewall, windows 7 mode, punkbusters, directx, underclock.... hell, I even brought a priest to perform an exorcist on the PC. Maybe there was a demon in there hitting the reset button. NOTHING!!!! 

You know sometimes i can be a little arrogant and with a little god complex. All us technicians are a little bit like that and the more experienced sometimes the worst. Just like those idiots that are flaming everyone that suggests that reboots are caused by the game. Well this arrogance keeps me sometimes from trying the simple stuff. For instance in one forum I reed that disabling the Antialising Post setting in the game can help. I said to myself there's no way this can cause my computer to reboot. it could be the cause of a simple crash but denied to believe that it could cause a whole reboot. In the end I only switched this setting from HIGH to MEDIUM and VOILA.... No more crashes. 

Can you believe this??????? one small setting like this?????? 

Now my question to everyone is this: Who's fault is this? Nvidia's? DICE's? EA's? It's definitely not my fault but I ended up wasting 20 days and 200 bucks of my life trying to figure this one out. I feel that in a just world I should be compensated but this is not a just world we live in. All I can do is vote EA as the worst company in the world one more time. 

Thanks for reading my boring story.

Message 1 of 3 (192 Views)

★★ Novice

There's always the possibility that HIGH mode was triggering a hardware issue.

Message 2 of 3 (148 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Glad it worked out for you!

Message 3 of 3 (143 Views)