Re: DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

by TheyCallMePro

Original Post

Re: Another EA convo

★★★ Newbie

I've got the same issue > DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG("The application's failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed."). GPU:"NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670", Driver: 33165

Fix it or give me my money back.....................................

Message 201 of 375 (1,568 Views)

★★ Apprentice

There is no set fix. There a tons of possible fixes that some people have had success with and others none. In my case I might have some success by completely uninstalling graphics drivers then installing them. But eventually I get the same error. You can run through everyones suggestions, but there is no guarantee and will work and it will take a lot of time.

I've spent more time trying to fix it than playing the game itself.

Message 202 of 375 (1,564 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the same problem with the direct x "GetDeviceRemovedReason" error.

Windows 8.1 64bit

8gb RAM

Geforce gtx 780

i7 4770k

I already tried lots of hints and solutions from other people with the same problem, but nothing works. I can play like 10 minutes and then the screen freezes and I'm back at the desktop. This occurs in Single and Multiplayer.

I also tried to run the game with minimum grafic settings in windowed mode, but this doesn't help either.

The error doesn't occur on any other game like Crysis 3. Mass Effect 3, GTA4 and others.

I hope for a soon fix, EA!

Message 203 of 375 (1,505 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Aw come on, not again!

I get the impression it has nothing to do with my PC. BF4 works perfectly fine during the day, but in the evening, during primetime, I constantly get strange DX11 errors.

And nothing to do with VRAM leakage. I get the error after 2 minutes with VRAM only 40% full at medium settings.

Message 204 of 375 (1,498 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

New GeForce Drivers released, go download them. May solve our issue.

I've had the DirectX error "GetDeviceRemovedReason" crash since the release of Retail(Not in Beta). So far I haven't received the patch in messing around for about an hour. Might give it a try and see if it works for you.

What I didFrownMight not be neccessary to do everything for you other than installing the new drivers)

1) Download the new drivers(331.82) then restart

while in Safe Mode(F8)

2) uninstall drivers using DDU

3) restart

4) back into Safe Mode and installed 331.82

5) Restart into normal mode

6) Delete all files inside the "Origin Games/Battlefield 4/_Installer/directx/redist" folder

7) Repair the game by right clicking on game while in origin(Let it finish repairing.

8) going into the "Origin Games/Battlefield 4/_Installer/directx/redist" folder and installing the "DXSETUP".

9) Restart then playing the game.

Like I said you... you may not have to do all these steps, but this is what worked for me after downloading the new drivers(331.82). I also have a file in the battlefield 4 game folder that caps my in-game FPS at 60(gives me 60 all the time).  So far no issues when I would crash every 5-10 minutes before with the "GetDeviceRemovedReason" DirectX error.

Good luck. I will update if I have the crash again.

*update* got the crash again after 3 hours of play timeFrown

Message 205 of 375 (1,448 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

this just started happening for me today and has been doing it pretty constantly. it happens when the game loads at the deploy screen it just freezes and hangs and freezes and eventually i get the directx error and have to kill the game from the task manager.

i dont know why this would just start happening all of a suddent and not before. does this mean i might have anything wrong with my system or graphics cards? i am running 780 in sli

Message 206 of 375 (1,250 Views)

★★★★ Novice
You are over accelerating your system. I am willing to bet you have had the same problem with crysis 3. Fire up your PC go into the bios and enable virtualization. This works for Intel and Amd. You will notice your system is alot faster and boots up in half the time. Before you say anything stupid just try it. The game works just fine for me. I had no problems on the PC that I built. But when I went to play on my new laptop this crap started. After reading all this it hit me like a ton of bricks. So I went into the bios on my hp laptop and virtualization was turned off. So i turned it on. Now the game runs great on my laptop. so just try it.
Message 207 of 375 (1,232 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

how is virtualization related to this? i am not saying it didnt help you but i just want to know...if you do know Standard smile

Message 208 of 375 (1,209 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Its called wow (windows on windows) you are running 32bit windows hence the x86 program folder in your root directory. And you are running 64bit windows hence the regular program folder. What technology on your CPU allows you. To run 2 operating systems? You guessed it virtualization.
Message 209 of 375 (1,206 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I found out the hard way with crysis 3. I burned up a gtx460
Message 210 of 375 (1,201 Views)