Re: DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

by TheyCallMePro

Original Post

★ Apprentice

I rolled back to the 327.23 drivers and this issue, as well as some other ones I was having with the 331.58 and 331.65 drivers in other programs appear to have completely vanished.

I'm running SLI EVGA 650 Ti Boost SC 2gb, in Win 8.1 x64, and after testing it, I've regained my ability to limit my FPS to 60 (I get nasty screen tearing with my monitor) in Precision X without still having screen tearing issues with the newer drivers, my FPS doesn't budge off of 60 at all in any situation on Ultra with MLAA 2x, the occasional "Driver has stopped responding and recovered" issue has gone away, and benchmarking scores have gone up a decent amount.  Even the rarely occuring Firefox hiccup has disappeared with Hardware Acceleration on.

And, most importantly, after hours of goofing off in Test Range and SP, I haven't gotten the DXGI_Error_Device_Hung problem at all.  I can't speak for ATI cards, but it appears that a good bit of this was on the driver end for Nvidia.  Don't trust the new drivers, unless you're actually going okay.

But just to test, after getting a driver crash in a few games on Steam, I decided to stress test my cards to make sure it wasn't any hardware faults, and after running Valley and Heaven benches for about an hour each, both ran with pretty much expected performance.

So, I booted into safemode, did a clean wipe of the 331.65 drivers, restarted back into safe mode and installed the 327.23 driver.  I also left out the stupid Nvidia Experience thing because it's annoying and doesn't really serve any use other than harassing me the occasional pop-up.

Someone else should give rolling back to older drivers a go and see how it works out.  Correlate things!  For Science!

Message 171 of 375 (2,288 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I'll go ahead and give it a try. Since I pretty much have used/tried all the drivers up until the 327.23 driver.

The 331.40/.58/.65 might work for a while... but eventually I get the error. I will update right away if it doesn't work. If it appears to work I will give it up to 2 days before it fails.

I will be using "DDU Version: 7.4" to uninstall the drivers as I have been in safe mode.

---

Will update in a few days if all goes well, since I have nothing else to lose and tried everything up to this point

*update*

Did not work for me Frown Already receiving the error

Message 172 of 375 (2,277 Views)

★ Apprentice

It's the same point I was at.
Hopefully this works.  So damn frustrating.  I just want to play the game I paid for.  :/

Message 173 of 375 (2,260 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the help anyways. Im almost just over it. EA needs to acknowledge the issue and someone needs to fix it.

Message 174 of 375 (2,254 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I DID IT ! I DID IT ! THANKS to Zeus,Demetra,Jisus,Allah and 320.49 driver! BF4 work almost on ultra with high FPS! I hope now you will can help another guys with this problem. I will wright about it on BF forum! Thanks and BYE! =) From Russia with love. (GTX 660)

Message 175 of 375 (2,235 Views)

★★ Novice

Same problem here....Playing 2hours last night, exept crash server nothing bad happened. (AMD 7770)
This morning, trying to launch and play. Game crash when i spawn (or when the cursor stop flashing.)

I can't understand... I've installed Evga precision for my GPU but the game work perfectly after.

Trying to repair/reinstall DirectX, nothing changed...

Message 176 of 375 (2,224 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I'm equally frustrated with QA on this game. Shocking that they can release BETA code to the open public for forty five quid. Disgusting!

I run on:

Mac Pro Bootcamp'd

6 gigs DDR2 800

6870 1GB GDDR5

Windows 7 Ultimate

ATI BF 4 BETA drivers

This runs for no more than 30 min on High detail settings. I gain 15 min if I switch to Medium detail settings. I decided this was an excuse to get a 3D card with more memory as I heard the game is very memory intensive. 

MSI Nvidia 760 2GB Frozr

Nvidia 331.65 'BF 4' driver

Now run on Ultra settings again last 30 min before a hard lock or Direct X error and the game hangs. Based on previous results I'd estimate on High settings I'd get an hour of play on this new card.

Smells to me like memory leaking. Be interesting to monitor the 3D card memory usage over that 30-1 hour duration to see when it peaks. Check the bottom of this page for estimated memory usage. Shows something is afoot if through my research so far it just bombs out quite religiously based on detail setting and 3D card memory size:

http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-retail-gpu-cpu-benchmarks/

P.S. can people elaborate on what they are changing with respective overclocking software? Or is it just installing of it that changes BF 4 behaviour??

Message 177 of 375 (2,220 Views)

★ Apprentice

For me I think noticed it popping up when turning on vram intensive settings.  Some things like detail level have no no real effect, but texture filtering and even full screen were setting it off.  (On Ultra.)

Message 178 of 375 (2,121 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Same issue here! If i play on medium settings the game plays fine and if I change my settings to high the game will crash with the dreaded DirectX error. I can get 80-120FPS with high settings but have to play using medium. The game also auto detects medium settings..... i7 3770k 4.4ghz 16GB DDR3 PCI 3.0 Geforce GTX 650 Ti boost X2 in SLI and on my laptop it auto detects at High Asus G75VW i7 3610QM 12GB DDR3 GTX 670M. My desktop is obviously more powerful and If I change the settings off of default on either system I get crashes. The laptop can barlely play the game on medium 30-40fps let alone high and my Desktop can play the game on high 80-120fps WTF!?

Message 179 of 375 (1,831 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm also having this issue, and I've noticed that the refresh rates are being detected incorrectly in game.

at 1024 x 768 - 60hz fine.

If at the native of my monitor - 1280 x 1024 or anything in-between it seems to be slightly off, either 60.02hz or 75.03

Message 180 of 375 (1,828 Views)