Re: DirectX Error for Battlefield 4

by spazadaa

Original Post

DirectX Error for Battlefield 4

★ Novice

"DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed."). GPU: "Nvidia GeForce GTX 670", Driver: 33165."

I receive this message about 30 minutes into each Battlefield 4 session, single and multiplayer, nearly everytime I play the game. I've contacted your customer service reps via instant chat (transcript below), and they were unable to assist me or offer me any confirmation that EA and/or DICE are even trying to fix the problem.

My DxDiag transcript is pasted below the chat transcript.

Frankly, this is infuriating. I'm not going to get into EA's business model or whether or not EA released a "complete," game. There are countless people who can do that for me. However, I paid good money for this product. I would like to be able to enjoy it with some consistency. What's even more frustrating is that this is not an uncommon problem, but even your customer service reps seem oblivious to it. So that's either an incompetent costumer service rep or piss poor communication within your company. Maybe both.

Please let me know when a fix for this problem has been identified. Thank you.

Chat Transcript:

info: Your approximate wait time is 0 minute.
info: You are now ready to chat with Saurabh A.
Saurabh A: Thanks for contacting EA Customer Experience, my name is Saurabh. How may I assist you today?
you: Hi Sarah. I'm having some issues keeping my Battlefield 4 game going.
you: Most common is a DirectX error.
Saurabh A: I am sorry to hear that . I will do my best to help you in this issue.
you: After re-installing punkbuster, now I also get "An error was reported: Something went wrong." when the game crashes.
you: Thank you.
you: The DirectX error reads as follows:
you: "DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed."). GPU: "Nvidia GeForce GTX 670", Driver: 33165."
you: And I've been getting that message almost every time I play the game, 30 minutes into each session.
Saurabh A: May I know have you updated the graphic card driver?
you: Yes ma'am. I've checked my graphic card driver daily.
you: No new updates for a little over a week.
Saurabh A: Okay.
Saurabh A: May I know do you have DirectX 11 on your system.
you: Yes Ma'am.
Saurabh A: I am sorry to say, but I would request you to paste the same in our forum and our forum moderator and developers will provide you the resolution regarding the same.
you: Okay...
Saurabh A: You can also paste the same in Answers.ea.com and they will give you the answer.
you: I'll do that, but so you know, multiple people have posted about the same problem in the forums. In both locations.
you: I looked there first.
you: So far, none of them have received any resolution.
you: But I appreciate you trying.
Saurabh A: There may be some known issue and our developers are already working on it and once they find the solution, they will provide you the solution regarding the same.
you: Okay. Thank you again.
Saurabh A: I am sorry to say but I am not able to provide you any information regarding this issue.
Saurabh A: You are welcome and thank you for understanding.
you: No problem. Have a good day.

DxDiag:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/06/12 20:50:07 Ver: 02.57
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32720MB RAM
Page File: 4483MB used, 60956MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: The file WsAudio_DeviceS(4).sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Sound Tab 4: No problems found.
Sound Tab 5: The file WsAudio_DeviceSFootball.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Sound Tab 6: The file WsAudio_DeviceS(5).sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Sound Tab 7: The file WsAudio_DeviceSSoccer ball.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Sound Tab 8: The file WsAudio_DeviceSBasketball.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 670
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1189&SUBSYS_26783842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4038 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1990 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: S24B350
Monitor Id: SAM08D8
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.3165 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3165
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/23/2013 00:30:23, 18199872 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-52C9-11CF-AF57-75061CC2C435}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x1189
SubSys ID: 0x26783842
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Driver Strong Name: oem79.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section089:9.18.13.3165Tongue outci\ven_10de&dev_1189
Rank Of Driver: 00E02001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C

Message 1 of 5 (3,074 Views)

★★★ Novice

Im Having very simular issues. But Im running a AMD 7900 series GPU.

Message 2 of 5 (3,001 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am also having this issue ever since I upgraded my graphics card from an NVIDIA GT 620 to a GTX650 Ti. I only get these errors on Battlefield 3 and 4, none of my other games. My graphics drivers are up to date and I am running the most current version of DirectX. These errors are also occurring for me approximately 30 to 40 mins into each session

Message 3 of 5 (2,413 Views)

★★ Novice

Did anyone ever find a real solution to this?

Message 4 of 5 (1,878 Views)

★ Guide

Ok, here are some steps you can try that can minimize the occurrence of this problems:

- Uninstall the Plugin (in control panel>uninstall) then delete the containing folder placed in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlelog Web Plugins

Fix for Mozilla FireFox:

- Install the latest plugin
- go to Addons (Firefox menu) -> Plugins
- Search for ESN AND Battlelog
- Set both to: always activated
- close firefox, start it again and it should be fine then

For Chrome:

-Clear Browsing Data ( Settings/Privacy )
-Reinstalling the plugin by logging to Battlelog again
-In the search bar typing the following command: chrome://plugins
-Checking the box Always allowed for ESN Sonar API and Battlelog Game Launcher
-Restarting the Browser
-Log back into Battlelog via Origin (Play from Battlefield4 icon )
-Join a Server

For Internet Explorer 11
-Restart IE 11
-From Internet Options/General tab -> Clear Browsing data -> Delete button
-From Security tab, slide the bar to bottom -> Medium Protection
-In Trusted Sites -> .battlefield.com should be added along with battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/ and battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/
-It will require a System Restart in order for the 7 step to be applied.
-Join a server.

First, do this steps: http://help.ea.com/en/article/battlefield-4-punkbuster-troubleshooting/ 

Also, try this additional steps, if the above does not work:

1. Open windows firewall
2. Click advanced settings( on the left) and then inbound (also left)
3. Find PnkbstrA.exe and PnkbstrB.exe (if you have two of both, its fine)
4. Right click on each of them>properties>programs and services
5. Make sure that "all programs that meet the specifications" is checked
6. Then go to the "Advanced" tab and check all 3 boxes. Domain, Private and Public.
7. REMEMBER TO DO THIS FOR ALL PnkBstr Files. Then save and quit.
8. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4 and delete "Pb" folder.
9. Go to these 2 links:
http://websec.evenbalance.com/downloader/download.php?file=1
http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe
10. Download and install both
11. Run Pbsetup.exe (the first link)
12. Add a game (eg. bf4)
13. Check for updates.

-Reinstall DirectX.
1:go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\__Installer\directx\redist
2:Find file named DXSETUP.exe, right lcik and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR . Install it. It should update your DirectX install.
3: You might need to reboot computer first.
4: try to launch game.

Still doesn't work then....

-Update your Microsoft .NET framework.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

Make sore your drivers and updated.

Get sure that you have disabled all ad and application blocking software in your browser and using the latest version of Adobe Flash.

For Battlefield on PC, please enable the following online ports on your connection:

TCP80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127
UDP
3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300

For specific instructions on how to open your ports, please visit http://www.portforward.com/ or contact your router manufacturer.

Also see this EA Help article for information on opening TCP or UDP ports: http://help.ea.com/en/article/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/

-Run the game as ADMINISTRATOR.
Go to the Origin games folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4) and find Bf4.exe. Right click it and go to PROPERTIES, then COMPATIBILITY and tick the box next to RUN THIS PROGRAM AS ADMINISTRATOR.
Do the same with BF4_x86.exe as well.

Now try the game.

-Reinstall C++ redistributables.
1:go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\__Installer\vc\vc2012Update3\redist
2: Right Click on vcredist_x64.exe and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR then follow onscreen prompts.

-Do this troubleshooting steps:

See this page here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/battlefield-4-known-issues/ .

Also see this page here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/troubleshooting-info-for-battlefield-4/ .

-Do a clean boot of your Windows program:

Make sure you do a clean boot of your Windows program. See this page on how to do that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 .

-Disable Origin in game.
In Origin - Application settings - Origin in Game - disable Origin in game

-Run Origin as Administrator.
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin and right click on Origin.exe and go to properties. Then go to compatability tab and tick the box next to Run as Administrator.

-Do a "Repair Game" in Origin.

Press your game icon in Origin and press "Repair Game". This should solve a few problems.

Message 5 of 5 (1,876 Views)