Cannot Connect to One Particular Server

by gls2220

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Cannot Connect to One Particular Server

★★ Novice

I'm getting an error trying to connect to one particular server and only that server. This is literally the only server I have this problem with. When I try to connect, it will say I'm joining and then about 20 seconds later I get "you have lost connection to the session" and then it hangs and I have to close out the game.

It sucks because this is the only locker server left on PS4/PS5. I can join any other server without a problem. I checked with the admins of this server and they say I haven't been banned or anything so I don't know where to turn at this point.

This has been going on for several days now. 

Message 1 of 8 (818 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot Connect to One Particular Server

★★ Novice

Thanks. The problem seems to have gone away on its own and I'm able to join again. However, I do recall losing my connection to EA before this started happening. It was one of those situations where you're playing and all of a sudden the screen goes dark and a few seconds later the error message comes up saying you've lost connection to the EA servers, or something like that.

Based on your description of the issue, it sounds like, when this happens, the server thinks the player is still playing and so there must be some sort of cache that needs to be cleared periodically. 

View in thread

Message 6 of 8 (668 Views)

All Replies

I'd normally suggest refreshing your console's cache (fully unplugged for ~ 2 minutes) but since it's only happening for one server it leads me to believe it is ping related.

Are you running a VPN or anything to play? Servers using procon tools can restrict via ping or location IIRC

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 2 of 8 (778 Views)

★★ Novice

No, not using a VPN to play. I sometimes use a VPN on my PC to watch sports, but not with my console. 

Message 3 of 8 (763 Views)

Hero

May not help, but have you tried reinstalling?

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

AHQ Guardian - Volunteer Moderator
Message 4 of 8 (728 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Sorry @TTZ_Dipsy and @ElliotLH ,

You are going down a wrong track with our fellow gamer here.

@TTZ_Dipsy, on Playstation servers there is no option to use Procon or ping limiters.

@ElliotLH , this error situation he experience here is not client side related.  It is the same server side bug I have highlighted again and again, causing so much trouble.  And its across all 3 platforms.  I also engaged with one of your techies even here on EA Answers HQ now few years back, where he actually in the end confirmed that YES, they knew about this bug they had introduced.  But NO, they would not proceed to fix it, as it was linked to another 'feature' that EA had introduced, which on purpose shuts down a server as soon as the last active player leaves a BF4 server.  And where you now have reoccurrent players that keeps coming here to complain about both as players not able to join a server.  And also from server owners/renters who complain that their server can no longer fill up, despite the server is physically and factually not full of active players.

This server side introduced bug (January 2019) causes the individual server not always to capture when an active player is leaving it.  Aka if the player did not leave the game through menu choices in a quiet way, but maybe instead simply just switched off the power to his/her game platform, of if the internet line abruptly was cut even for a very short period of time.  The server does then wrongly think that the player is still on it and hangs the player in the virtual player list of players on it.  When that player then tries again to join for real, the server just never responds back to the player platform to bring them in, as it thinks they are already live in the game on the server.  It's just one of those things, driving many of us nuts with EA deliberately killing our servers when they go idle, all while not fixing a new introduced bug in the process....

@gls2220 ,

Please send me a private message on the PS4/PS5 message board and I promise to help you through to get this problem fixed.  All we need however is also the willingness of the server owner to collaborate, but I can guide him through to get your soldier back on his server as you want.  My PSN is same as this forum name.

Message 5 of 8 (699 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks. The problem seems to have gone away on its own and I'm able to join again. However, I do recall losing my connection to EA before this started happening. It was one of those situations where you're playing and all of a sudden the screen goes dark and a few seconds later the error message comes up saying you've lost connection to the EA servers, or something like that.

Based on your description of the issue, it sounds like, when this happens, the server thinks the player is still playing and so there must be some sort of cache that needs to be cleared periodically. 

Message 6 of 8 (669 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had a similar issue along while ago but I just don't use that specific server ax there are many others to choose from I used to think situations like these were something to do with administration not your end but whatever.

Message 7 of 8 (610 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@gls2220 wrote:

Yes that is correct @gls2220, and your description of your prior experience is exactly one of those that at times causes a server to wrongly keep you on its active player list and then block you from future re-entry!

A hard reset (reboot) of the server itself will force the cleanup of this unfortunate situation on the server side!

There is nothing the individual player can do on their side to regain access to the server, until this has been cleared on the server itself.

As we frequently experience here the last few years, then our BF4 servers do indeed crash quite regularly from time to time, so this is at the same time then clearing up the backlog of blocked players that had been caught up by this server-side bug.  So after such server crash, then all players can then again access to the server to play on it without being stuck in that stupid error situation. 👍

Message 8 of 8 (553 Views)