Re: Can't install PunkBuster?

by Cyanide-Ace

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't install PunkBuster?

★★ Novice

So, I haven't been able to play BF4 for well over a year on my PC, but for some reason it runs fine on my laptop. It has to do with punkbuster. I always get kicked by PB with in the first few seconds, or it will lead me on by letting me play for a minute, then kicking me. I've tried so many different methods to try and fix punkbuster. Un/reinstalling BF4, punkbuster and/or Origin, Inbound Rules, restarting my PC, etc... Nothing works.

I've been going through all my files and deleting everything in attempt to have a fresh start. I restarted my PC, tried installing BF4 again. Everytime Origin attempts to install punkbuster for BF4 I always get the same error messages.

"**ERROR: Failed to create PunkBuster service: Cannot create a file when that file already exists." Followed by a second error message.

"Error: A redistributable package (PunkBuster) was not installed successfully. Setup cannot continue. (5)"

It's pretty frustrating everytime I get these error messages because I assumed before attempting to install it again that I got rid of all the past files. So I'd like to reach out and ask if anyone has had something similar or maybe they know how to fix this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!  

Message 1 of 5 (1,201 Views)

Accepted Solution

Message 2 of 5 (1,153 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)
Message 2 of 5 (1,154 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for the response! I never would've guessed that Process Explorer was the issue. I've closed PE and successfully installed BF4. I'm gonna install all the DLC and test gameplay. 

Message 3 of 5 (1,140 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Thank you very much for the feedback. Glad to see it worked ^ ^

Message 4 of 5 (1,135 Views)

★★ Novice

I just played a few matches and it's working great now! Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 5 (1,128 Views)