Re: Battlefield 4 work on PS3 and PS4?

by EA_Bastian

Original Post

Hero (Retired)

Hi everyone,

I think we can close this case by letting you know that you will NOT be able to play PS3 version of Battlefield 4 on a PS4 console.

This will be the same for the Xbox ONE. The console will not be backwards compatible.

- With kind regards,

Timmie.

Message 11 of 18 (992 Views)

★ Novice

@n1t3mar3xsv wrote:

Hi everyone,

I think we can close this case by letting you know that you will NOT be able to play PS3 version of Battlefield 4 on a PS4 console.

This will be the same for the Xbox ONE. The console will not be backwards compatible.

- With kind regards,

Timmie.

of course not, this was the strategy all along to make addicts like me pay for the game twice, the least you could do is to give buyers a discount for BF4/PS4 in the box with BF4/PS3.

Message 12 of 18 (926 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Guys I totally get that you want to discuss about technical aspects of BF4 in relation to the new consoles. But stay mature in your discussion, Answer HQ is not a place for blaming people or any other kind of offensive behavior.

Btw.: The first model of the PS3 console was backwards compatible but this model was really fast replaced by Sony. The Xbox 360 is compatible even if not every game is officially supported. As far as announced yet, you can be pretty sure that the new consoles will be not backwards compatible, mainly because of a completely different hardware architecture (that would mean that both company's need to create and provide patches for all the last generation games). Let's say it is even more complicated with this generation and the structure of gameclients as one generation before.

Cheers

Basti

Message 13 of 18 (921 Views)

★★ Novice

The architectures are vastly different between the PS3/PS4 and the 360/One.   The PS4 and One are closer to each other than either of their respective "last gen" versions.    That is all immaterial to the question.   It's all immaterial also as to how the PS2/PS3 were, it doesn't apply.  

The question here that hasn't  been answered  at all in the slightest, or even dealt with, is a different question entirely.  It's the problem of announcing and accepting preorders for the PS3/360 before the PS4/One were even announced, leaving everyone that preordered in the same cruddy situation.   A situation caused entirely by the way it was done by you, not by anything we did.

What about those of us who have preordered either the PS3 (or XB360) versions who may or may not get the PS4 (or XBOne) consoles.   What do we do with a game that has two versions that we might play on a console or the other  that doesn't work on both, on hardware that isn't cross-platform or interoperable with its predecssor?      

If we pre-ordered the PS3 version and buy a PS4, which all come out (games and consoles) at the same time, what are we supposed to do now.   What are you going to do later.   What do we and you do now and later.     For those that have both consoles and are stuck with one version of the game or the other for a single console of the two. 

Same goes for preordering the 360 version of the game and buying the One console.

Message 14 of 18 (919 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yes, I play playstation 2 games on my playstation 3!

Message 15 of 18 (865 Views)

★ Novice

Are you crazy or what ? PS2 games work on a PS3 with no problem,so if u buy BF4 for ps3 and then later u buy ps4 all games will work as on ps3. Did u watch E3? Common dude

Message 16 of 18 (802 Views)

★★★ Newbie

with the old ps3 you were... not the new ones though

Message 17 of 18 (701 Views)

Community Manager

Battlefield 4 for PS3 and PS4, are two different games so to speak. If you would like to play on both consoles, you will have to buy it twice. The same goes for Xbox 360 and Xbox One. The hardware architecture is different for both generations.   

However, if you are switching from Battlefield 4 on PS3 to PS4, or Xbox 360 to Xbox One, we got your back: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2955971139368945311/

Message 18 of 18 (699 Views)