Sound issues

by SCADAguy

Original Post

Battlefield 4 no proper 5.1 sound

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Battlefield 4 sound system is so weird with 5.1 audio. Typically with 5.1 surround sound you get voices from center speaker when you are looking towards characters who speak and when you turn around, the voice should move to other speakers. That DOESN'T happen with BF4 and BF3 before it.

I made sure I selected Surround sound in Audio menus and War Tapes (also tried Hi-Fi and Home Cinema). Is there any hidden setting I don't know about ?
I am using X-Fi Titanium sound card connected to my analog 5.1 speaker system and all other games work just fine. It sounds as if dialogue is coming from all speakers and even when I move I don't hear the voice moving across the other channels as other games.
In-game cut scenes work just fine and dialogue is coming properly just from the center speaker. I've also noticed that setting audio to stereo instead of surround in game options does not mute surround speakers lol

Message 2 of 10 (7,407 Views)

Sound issues

★ Apprentice

I, along with several others, have been reporting a sound issue in the Battlefield 4 PC forums.  I just found out about this forum and thought I would post this here as well.

On large, open maps, the sound is going in and out constantly.  It appears to mostly happen when you in a vehicle (tank, heli, etc.).   When the sound goes out, sometimes all sound stops.  Sometimes, most of the sounds stop but you may be able to hear or two sounds.  As an example, if you are in a tank and fire, you will hear the BOOM of the fire but you can't hear the tank sound.  This issue happens while you are on foot as well but seems more pronounced in a vehicle.  There are times when the sound goes out all together.

When the sound problem happens, the duration is for a fairly long period of time. Additionally, it typically switches back to working sound then to problem, then back and forth.

I have made adjustments to my sound settings such as change from HiFi to home theater to war tapes.  This has not helped.  I will say I haven't tried stereo versus surround system though. 

I thought at first this was just my setup.  However, several people in a game were complaining about it.  From what I can tell, it doesn't matter what brand of sound card you have or if you are using onboard sound, everyone is having this problem.  Additionally, this doesn't happen on an isolated map, it is multiple maps.  I will say the maps which don't have large open spaces seem to do better than maps with large open spaces.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10 (7,381 Views)

Huge Audio Problem (PC)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

The Audio cuts in and out a lot.

Often only half of the sound will disappear such as footsteps and ambient sounds.

I am using an Asus Xonar DX sound card running in 5.1 surround using the "war tapes" setting.

I have tried changing settings nothing helps much but some of the sounds return in stereo mode.

This Issues seems to be at its worst  on the Golmud Railway Map but it does happen on other maps too.

Other players have told me they only experience this issue when driving a tank on Golmud Railway.

This is one of many technical Issues with this game.

I am attempting to be as constructive as possible but the state this game had been released in is unacceptable and completely unprofessional from a company as large as EA.

Message 3 of 10 (7,385 Views)

Re: Battlefield 4 no proper 5.1 sound

★★ Novice

My rear channels do not produce sound. All others work perfectly. 

Message 4 of 10 (6,893 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Still not fixed after many patches !

Message 5 of 10 (6,129 Views)

★★★ Newbie

! someone please help me with this.. I too lose background noise it seems or makes everything seem very laggy, Im using Bose companion 2. 

Message 6 of 10 (5,665 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Let's look at the situation that EA / DICE is in.

They live in a house infested with termites (get it? BUGS!). They know that the house is full of termites and it is not safe to live in the house, but they can not afford to tear down the whole house all at once and rebuild. They are fixing one support beam, and cross members at a time until they can fix the whole house.

Another word, EA / DICE know they have issues with this game and are fixing one item at a time based on the priority of what they deem important.

I am assuming that this is one of their top priority issues, but there are more pressing issues like crashes and "unable to connect to servers" are more important than sound fading in / out. After all, as a business, they wil llose more customers if people can not play the game, then not hearing a foot steps.

If this message helped you or direct you to the right direction, just click the XP box at the bottom right of the message.

XP = Thanks for helping, trying to help, or  what a funny guy.
Accept as solution = This solved my problem!

Message 7 of 10 (5,660 Views)

★★ Novice

It is reported that they are working on it.  Mine cuts out also.  It is something that they will hopefully address in the near future.

Message 8 of 10 (5,659 Views)

★ Novice

Did you get the solution fixed? rear speakers on my system only work on my blu ray player and nothing else. Have all the drivers and updates!

Message 9 of 10 (5,003 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I had the same problems previously(dissapearing footsteps, environment noise, tank etc.), but now it looks like fixed.

But I still have issue with 5.1 surrond. I have integrated Realtek card which supports up to 7.1 output. I have it configured to work with my GX gaming 5.1 audio system in 5.1 mode. Rear satelites are very quiet. I cannot hear if someone coming from behind trying to cut my balls off, or tank is approaching from behind... I want to say that 5.1 not helpful, because I only hear front and side satelites. BF4 uses surrond sound and Hi-Fi options. In Realtek HD Audio panel made proper Room correction settings (like distance from me to each satelite and +5 dBA on each rear satelite, others +0 dBA). It helped a little, but sound is still not legible.

Can someone help me to configure (or to do something more) to have advantage of using 5.1 sound on battlefield?

Message 10 of 10 (4,726 Views)