Battlefield 4 Is Restarting My PC

by MrShirt

Original Post

Battlefield 4 Is Restarting My PC

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

About 3 hours ago my BF4 went from running just fine and crashing intermittently, to going to black screen and the automatic restart of my PC.  The game does not freeze/lag/artifact, it runs perfectly fine for a very short period of time and then instantly restarts my PC.  I played for about 5 hours this morning without an issue, I switched over to TF2 for several hours, and then into Diablo 3 with no issues.  As soon as I tried to play BF4 again the restarts began.  The intermittent crashes I could handle, they really didn't bother me.  However this restarting my PC is unacceptable.  I can make it about 2 minutes into a game before it restarts my whole rig.  And if I launch the game through Nvidia Experience it instantly restarts my PC.  Every driver that I have is up to date.  Everything that I have been reading for the last 3 hours is pointing towards my PSU, however, if that really was the case, why doesn't this crash/restart happen with the 8 other games that I play for hours on end daily.  I am betting on either an Nvidia driver issue(at least in my case), or something wrong in the game itself.  I'm not buying the faulty PSU assumption.  I have run the repair for my digital download through Origin and it claims that nothing is out of order with the game.  I have run the vcredist 64 and 86 applications, and still have the restarting issue.  I have also re-updated my DirectX and my PunkBuster.  I don't know what else to do, so instead of tearing my hair out trying to troubleshoot this more I decided to post my problem here.  I hope someone out there can help me come up with a logical solution to this issue that myself and many others appear to be having.

Thank you for your time.

System Specs:

Win8 64bit

MSI NF980-G65 Mainboard

Geforce GTX760OC

8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Many SSD's

AMD 3.4Ghz Phenom II x4

Corsair HX750W PSU

Message 1 of 30 (8,083 Views)

Re: Battlefield 4 Restarting My PC

★★★★ Novice
i got bout the same issue the game freezes about 30 mins in and i cant even bring up taskmanger or anything and got the sound loop going....only way to get out of it is to restart computer..i think its more on the games end then your PSU
Message 2 of 30 (8,039 Views)

Re: Battlefield 4 Is Restarting My PC

★★★ Novice

could be some overclocking setting on your graphics card or CPU... or your power supply is showing its age, or simply isn't up to the power demands..  Try running Prim95 for 8 hours with your setup, with 1 instance per thread (I don't know anything about the processor, so I'm not sure if that would be 4 or 8 or what).  Also try Furmark for 30 minutes at least.. if either of those fail, then I'd start there.  Unless you've already done that..

I just bring it up because your video card says "OC"

Message 3 of 30 (8,031 Views)

★★★ Novice

btw, I see you mentioned PSU -- I really do think it is that.   How old is it?  It is common for PSU's to lose efficiency with age, so maybe it was fine a year ago but is not today.  I tried overclocking my litle i5-750 last night, and that's precisely what happened (instant reboot or shut down).  Be sure to check on temperatures with CPU-Z as well.

and it could be that your other games just don't demand as much from the CPU (if it were a CPU stability issue -- which could be in part due to the PSU).

How old is yoru setup?  There is also the possibility of bad capacitors.. check all the cylindrical polarized/electrolytic caps for bulges on the tops.  ANY bulge at all is indicative of a failing cap that should be replaced.

Message 4 of 30 (8,030 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

The only overclocking on my rig is on the 760 as that's how it came from the factory.  The card, ram, and ssd's are all brand new purchased in the last 3 months, PSU is 1-2 years old, however in all of my PC gaming years I have never once had a power supply go bad.  I'm not saying that's not the case in this instance, but I have a very very very hard time believing it's a hardware issue when every other game I run works just fine.  And I can't check temps with CoreTemp in game as the game won't run.  I can load into a server and then it restarts my computer.  I get no error messages upon restart or during the crash.  On a side note, all of my friends are running the game just fine (minor crashing here and there) with much lesser rigs than mine and with significantly older hardware and I am the only one having this restarting issue.  It's infuriating.

Message 5 of 30 (8,021 Views)

★★ Novice

I just ran Furmark and it restarted my PC after 40 seconds of running it.  The temp on the video card only got to 64C.  I can't tell from that test what the issue might be.  Brand new video card, not possible.  Processor or power supply...maybe I guess?

Message 6 of 30 (8,009 Views)

★★ Novice

I just played TF2 for 2 hours and it ran at the same voltages and temps for both my video card and processor with no restarting issue.  I don't know what is happening anymore.

Message 7 of 30 (7,999 Views)

★ Novice

I have exactly the same problem , play bf4 for a bout 5 mins then black screen and my pc restarts . I can sit and play all other games for as long as I want and know problem . Im not to clued up on pcs but been reading forums and people say it could be my psu , or my processor is overclocked by the company that built my pc could that be that problem ?

GTX 660 ti

i7 4770k 3.5

16 corsair ram

Message 8 of 30 (7,971 Views)

★★ Novice

After going thru my pc time and time again running every diagnostic I could think of I have determined my problem source to be my PSU.  It's 3 years old, and failing.  I solved my issue, and I have a feeling you are in need of a new PSU as well.  I figured if I needed a new PSU I might just as well upgrade my MOBO and CPU as well, so now I have an even faster rig.  Yay frivolous expenditure of funds!

Message 9 of 30 (7,887 Views)

★ Novice

Ive been told its my psu as well but mines only bloody 4 months old , im not to clued up on pcs ive checked my temps on my cpu and gpu my cpu is running at about 60 oc and my gpu you is at 70 75 oc , someone has said maybe my psu cant handle my graphics card

heres my pc spec

SKU       monstergtx760
PRODUCT   NEW! Monster GTX 760
PRICE                                                          £859.00
          CPU: NEW! Intel Core i7 4770K                         £90.50
          CPU Overclocking: 4.2Ghz - Moderate Overclock       Included
          CPU Cooler: NEW! Corsair H60 2013 Water Cooler      Included
          Operating System: Windows 8 (64-bit)                Included
          Motherboard: NEW! Gigabyte Z87-HD3                  Included
          RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)           £57.70
          Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s                    Included
          Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA                  Included