Battlefield 4 Beta Crash when i setting my settings.

by Seekez

Original Post

Highlighted

Battlefield 4 Beta Crash when i setting my settings.

★ Novice

When i save my settings, i get kicked from server. Why is this?

Message 1 of 9 (1,253 Views)

Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Crash when i setting my settings.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Same here.

When I just started the game, I could change key bindings. Up to a certain point, because half way through, it suddenly would crash, whenever I want to change a key binding.

I reset all the keys, afterwards it would let me change a few things again, and then at random, it would again freeze. This happens whenever there is a confirmation needed. Like when a key is already in used and being mapped as duplicate, or when I want to go out of the settings and it asks for the confirmation of the changes.

The game freezes and it kicks me out of the server. Any server. It's not possible to change all my key bindings at all. I've checked the installation for errors via Origin, I have installed the latest video drivers, my hardware is up to it, I can play just fine, I've rebooted my pc a few times, it makes no difference, I just cannot set everything the way I want it without this problem making it impossible to continue.

Please help. Frown

* Update;

brutalvpegasus, if you go into my documents/Battlefield 4/settings and open the PROFSAVE_profile file.. does it show a huge load of entries for one and the same sort of thing, that goes on for ages at the bottom of the document?

If I compare this to the same file for BF3, it looks as if that is the culprit, because the BF3 one just goes through all the keybindings, but the BF4 one looks like it's 'gone nuts' in that file. I've had a joystick plugged in and each time when the problem started after a fresh start, I was trying to set up my joystick, in the JET tab. And the entry that went nuts in the profile file is a jet keybinding. 

Same for you?  

I have unplugged my joystick, I deleted the BF4 folder in my documents, I started fresh with that one, and without the stick pluggd in, I can bind every key just fine. But still, I would like to use my joystick too. (microsoft sidewinder, just FYI).

So I hope the devs pick up on this, it seems setting up this joystick of mine, causes this bug somehow.

Kind regards,

Fred

Message 2 of 9 (1,207 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

** TEMPORARY SOLUTION: **

The game has a settings file leak, where it gets slower and slower every time you make a change to any jet keybindings in settings.

To reset it delete the PROFSAVE_profile file in your My Documents/Battleifeld 4/settings directory and start over.

You'll have to rebind all keys again, which also count towards your max # of settings changes.

This is an issue with both jet and helicopter bindings

THIS IS A MAJOR BUG WHICH EA HAS YET TO ACKNOWLEDGE

For those who are PC savvy, here is a regex to find/remove all of the invalid entries in the PROFSAVE_profile file

^GstKeyBinding\.jet\.Concept.*\.(([4-9][0-9]*)|([0-9][0-9]+))\.[a-z]* [0-9]*$

Message 3 of 9 (1,150 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Wow. So I opened my PROFSAVE_profile after having this same issue... 1,345,801 lines!

I unfortunately started regexp replacing them all using bfdomush's pattern before noticing this ...

Programmer's Notepad 2 has been crunching away for some time... finally finishes.. 1344128 occurances replaced.

Now there's a huge empty space with a few lines here and there... So I did a regexp replace of ^\n with nothing... waited awhile... 672064 replacements - fewer empty lines, but still empty lines.

Not sure what's up with PN2's regexp replace that its apparently doing every other line or something, but repeat the regexp replace a bunch of times and it gets half again each time, eventually there's a managably small number of blank lines that can be manually removed. Now the file is only 1673 lines...

I'll just bind a few things at a time, and redo all this (not letting it get so out of control) until my jet / heli bindings are done... and backup the file lol Look, we know from BF3 that nobody at EA/DICE actually tested using real joysticks (the whole lack of support for separate rudder / throttles that aren't on the same meta-joystick, the whole can't actually throttle down jets thing...) but come on, at least set your bindings once, you'll see this bug!

Update: Just to add details, I'm using a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X in 5-axis mode (though I haven't been using the stick twist, I keep it locked in place). Win7 x64, FX-8350 and HD6850, 16GB RAM... yadda yadda...

Message 4 of 9 (1,089 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem too!!

When i tried to bind my joystick, while clearing the keys in the JET screen, the whole game freezes and crash.

I cannot seem to bind or unbind anymore keys further...

EA please rectify this.

Message 5 of 9 (895 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Exact same problem here.

Message 6 of 9 (853 Views)

★★★ Newbie
same problem here, crashes after changing any setting whatsoever
Message 7 of 9 (779 Views)

Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Crash when I setting my settings.

★★★ Newbie

I had a similar crash when I was about to respawn the beta crashed in the middle of the match.

Message 8 of 9 (775 Views)

Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Crash when I setting my settings.

★★★★★ Novice

mosh77, your crash has absolutely nothing to do with the freeze and crash when altering settings, namely jet settings.

Message 9 of 9 (771 Views)