Ok EA seriously it is May 2019, this problem with the ping for BF4 is still here. You think anyone is stupid enough to invest in another EA game seeing how * your support is for your Battlefield games.
No wonder why none of us here would ever buy BF1 or V.
If you treat your customers right they come back if you treat them like EA does they go elsewhere.
Another words -- YOU SUCK!!
To solve this issue (no updated player count) I do not enter the game via Origin, but enter it via the Battlelog in a Google Chrome web browser=
1. I first downloaded and allowed installation of the Google Chrome add-on "Battlelog BF4 Player Count Checker" (I found it ny searching it on Google).
2. I then restarted my computer (automatically updates/resets BF4 and Google Chrome).
3. Now (and from now on) I open the Battlelog page in Google Chrome = Goto "battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/" and login using your EA login/password.
4. I entered my filter under "Search for servers" and the list immediately showed which servers were spoofed and the true number of players.
5. Select a server and press "Join server" to play it.
IMPORTANT: Do not have Origin or the game running already, the command "Join server" above starts the game.
Worked for me, good luck.