Re: BF4 freezes and need to hard restart PC

by axolotl_Andros

Original Post

BF4 freezes and need to hard restart PC

★★★ Novice

Hi there,

this is a veeeryy strange freezing.
The game freezes after anytime between 2-35 minutes of gameplay.
When I say it freezes, I mean the picture freezes completely, but the sound continues to play as if I was playing the game for a few more seconds !!
The PC cannot recover from this freeze, as even with CTRL-ALT-DEL, the PC returns to the frozen screen, so I need to hard restar it.
I have increased ventilation to make sure that the GTX 780ti does not overheat, I have actually bought a new PSU thinking that 500W were not enough, but unfortunately the issue remains.

Running on Win 10, with an i7-4770 and 16GB of RAM

Any ideas would be much appreciated

PS. I have posted the exact same post to the BF3 forum as the game shows the exact same behavior...

Message 1 of 10 (1,259 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@axolotl_Andros  Hello,

First, try to run a clean boot on your PC and see how the game works: https://help.ea.com/tr/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Second, try to reinstall/update your graphics driver: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Message 2 of 10 (1,239 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello there and thanks for the tipps.

Unfortunately none worked.

I clean installed the GPU drivers, the game froze after 15 mins of gameplay

I run the clean boot and the game froze after 25 mins of gameplay.

Any other ideas are more than welcome...

Message 3 of 10 (1,228 Views)

★★★ Novice

Just a simple question guys. I purchased the game almost 1 week back and have not yet been able to properly play and experience the game. Is there any official support from EA that should be able to support me apart from great volunteers in this forum or do they just want my money as a customer but offer no aftersales support?

Thanks for your honest answers

Message 4 of 10 (1,216 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@axolotl_Andros 

You can always contact EA Customer Support and get help: https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/How-to-contact-an-Advisor-via-EA-Help/m-p/5650100#M30...

On the Answers HQ forums there are volunteers and official EA stuff. They also help on the forums as much as they can.

Message 5 of 10 (1,213 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks a lot for the tip.

Spend yesterday almost 7 hours in contact with EAs kind support team trying to implement their guidance and suggestions.

Your support team, Deepak, Kuldeep and Nakul are tryly well trained to reassure the customer that all will work out and that a solution will be found.

Alas, even after spending half my Saturday with your support, no solution was found...

Nakul even proposed a 15% discount on my next purchase, but he did not realize one thing. I have ALREADY purchased, have already paid for this game, which I am not able to truly and fully experience.  Your primary target, to offer good experience and keep your customer happy is NOT fulfilled whether there is a 15% discount or not 

Message 6 of 10 (1,194 Views)

EA DICE Team
Hey @axolotl_Andros, I understand that you are frustrated that you are having tech issues with BF4. Ranting that nothing is working and did not fix it, won't solve it for anyone and we can't help you and the same for other users on the forums. 

If you post what you have tried and so we don't suggest the same troubleshooting steps. 

/Atic 
Message 7 of 10 (1,179 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

OK, in order to start afresh I just did a clean installation of Win 10 Pro on my PC.

Instaled he latest Nvidia drivers (just the drivers and chose a clean install)

Using the Origin beta version and have the BF4 settings to be run in Win 7 or 8 compatibility mode

Run CCleaner and no other antivirus than the own Win Defender security.

The game continues to behave exactly as before, it freezes after 5-30 mins of gameplay.

Whats next?

Update: Just tried clean boot, no dofference. The game froze almost 4 mins after its start

Message 8 of 10 (1,139 Views)

★★★ Novice

Is there anyway to verify that this is not a hardware issue? I mean the freeze is so consistent that I now tend to believe that my GfX card could be at fault. Is there any log app that can be used to register what's happening with voltages and temps?

Thanks

Message 9 of 10 (1,120 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@axolotl_Andros 

@axolotl_Andros wrote:

Is there anyway to verify that this is not a hardware issue? I mean the freeze is so consistent that I now tend to believe that my GfX card could be at fault. Is there any log app that can be used to register what's happening with voltages and temps?

Thanks

There is an application called MSI Afterburner, you can use and see all information about your components while your gameplay.

https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner (Scroll down)

Also, here is the guide how to setup the monitoring settings: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/977649-guide-how-to-setup-msi-afterburner-on-screen-display-usi...

Message 10 of 10 (1,104 Views)